If Russia and Ukraine break out in a regional war what happens to cruises this summer in the Baltics?

terrydtx

1 hour ago, TreasureB said:

At this point, why would anyone want to give Russia their money. Isn’t it better to hurt them in their pocketbook. I think cruise lines should consider boycotting all Russian ports for a while

Cruise lines are not political, and i most certainly wouldn't want them to be

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 4:59 PM, terrydtx said:

We decided to cancel yesterday  and will look to book in 2024 or 25. Got enough worries with Covid do not need to add a war to them. My wife's primary port was St Petersburg and she didn't want to go if it gets canceled as a port.

Given that, you definitely made the right decision. I don't think it's wise to plan anything for Russia in the near future. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Cruise lines are not political, and i most certainly wouldn't want them to be

24 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Given that, you definitely made the right decision. I don't think it's wise to plan anything for Russia in the near future. 

20 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

My greatest fear with Russian ports in the short term is if things go bad right when you are there.  

Trying hard to reconcile the meaning of these three posts.  Sounds political to me...

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, CptBoatface said:

Looks like maybe no war. Seems like the parties involved may be sorting it out without hostile foreign intervention :classic_laugh:. And I am looking forward to an NCL Jade cruise to Ukraine rather than a MRAP tour

I'm not packing yet. Have about 8 weeks left to decide to make final payment or see if O is going to cancel going into the Black Sea

Just now, Queen of DaNile said:

I'm not packing yet. Have about 8 weeks left to decide to make final payment or see if O is going to cancel going into the Black Sea

When it comes to Putin, no one can be assured he will not invade Ukraine, sooner or later. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Trying hard to reconcile the meaning of these three posts.  Sounds political to me...

what? I suggest to you that they don't make sense when you take them out of context. That's why we can respond to a quote.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TreasureB said:

If Russia does invade Ukraine, and it is looking like that is going to happen, we should not be visiting Russian ports

We may not have a choice as I believe that the EU and US will include travel bans in sanctions. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, susiesan said:

If summer Baltic cruises are not able to spend 2 days/nights in St. Petersburg, any speculation as to what ports might be added? I hope sea days would not be the fill in. 

I assume we will find out when, and if, this becomes an issue.... doubt it would be sea days but who knows.  If we decide to go on our Baltic /Artic Circle cruise in September, we will go with the same flexibility, and accept whatever itinerary and regulations we encounter, as we did on our NOV Marina Med and TA cruise,

• Like 2

On 2/17/2022 at 9:13 PM, basor said:

I assume we will find out when, and if, this becomes an issue.... doubt it would be sea days but who knows.  If we decide to go on our Baltic /Artic Circle cruise in September, we will go with the same flexibility, and accept whatever itinerary and regulations we encounter, as we did on our NOV Marina Med and TA cruise,

Got booked on Royal’s Arctic Crossing TA from Copenhagen in September, after my last TA cruise cancelled.  This is a fancy repositioning cruise after Voyager OTS spends the summer in the Baltic.  I’m now wondering if these cruises could be cancelled and the ship re-deployed if, so sadly, war does break out?  Noticed one of the cruise bloggers noted that they suddenly could not book anything for their Holland America Baltic cruise this summer.  Any thoughts?  Thank you!

On 2/17/2022 at 7:45 PM, terrydtx said:

We may not have a choice as I believe that the EU and US will include travel bans in sanctions. 

This is in our cruise contract, NCL not responsible if War or shutdowns of ports, air lines and airport restrictions.

Unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances

In these Terms and Conditions, unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances means a situation which is beyond our control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Except where otherwise expressly stated in these Terms and Conditions, we regret we cannot accept liability or pay any compensation where the performance or prompt performance of our obligations under our contract with you is prevented or affected by, or you otherwise suffer any damage or loss (as more fully described in clause 12(2) below) as a result of unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances. Such circumstances will usually include (whether actual or threatened) war, riot, civil unrest, terrorist activity, industrial dispute, natural or nuclear disaster, adverse weather conditions (including hurricanes), epidemics, fire and closure or restriction of airspace, airports and ports. Unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances will also include the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice) or other EU foreign ministry advising against all travel or all but essential travel to any country, region or destination. In the event of different advice being given by EU governments, we will follow the advice given by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office. Unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances also include COVID-19 or other communicable disease/illness and their impact, such as travel restrictions and the measures and other action being taken by governments, public authorities and businesses to control and manage its effects.

With Oceania moving the final payment closer to the embarkation date; the rising chance of military actions; individual's fear of the possibilities of safety; and travelers who want to see St Petersburg; the chances of this cruise (150 days from now) continue to slip away from what Oceania planned roughly two years ago.

This is our 3rd hope to do this route after two COVID cancellations, but we will hold on to that hope even if it does not go to Russia.

What would prompt our cancellation is a pre boarding elimination of three ports of call in eastern Baltic.

We so need to get out to another Oceania cruise, however due to work we are unable to Cruise from mid January to end of June, which limits the cruises we can undertake.

For 2023 we are booked on VISTA for a transatlantic.

I do note, that it appears from the Oceania information web page, that more and more of our Baltic Cruise bookings are being cancelled.

• Like 1

The Russian invasion of a sovereign nation in violation of International law, and triggering widespread fear and deep concern not just here at home but throughout Europe about a deeper war now calls into question a who raft of considerations about foreign travel. Even if our government does not embargo travel to Russia, is it advisable to go to Russian ports because of personal safety considerations,  possible anti-American displays and also give this aggressor nation financial support? The rest of the world (minus China) seems to be highly condemnatory.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sailaway1706 said:

It's a little crazy, war is looming in Europe and some people are worried about their cruises.

There is nothing crazy about gathering information and considering the health and safety of your family as you make travel plans.  This is a forum on cruising and everything that it involves.  Please know we share your concern for peace in Europe.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GICNJC said:

I do note, that it appears from the Oceania information web page, that more and more of our Baltic Cruise bookings are being cancelled.

What are you talking about? There are no Baltic cruises cancelled. The first Baltic sailing is May 18 onInsignia available to book. All the subsequent cruises are open. Of course, this can all change later today.