If Russia and Ukraine break out in a regional war what happens to cruises this summer in the Baltics?

terrydtx

it won't be just cruise lines impacted by this near state of war and all the dangers now imposed on us by Russia's criminal actions against free  and sovereign nations. All land tour companies will be similarly affected. Those will be canceled , too,  or people will cancel bookings. Any private traveler planning a trip to Russia or neighboring countries should have his or her head examined. If this escalates into a real cyber or shooting war involving NATO countries, God help us all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

let's face it folks

If there is  a situation that could endanger pax/ships  the cruise lines will change the itinerary  or cancel the cruise

Many situations have happened in the past where the cruise lines just altered  their cruise ports

If going to those Countries  is a priority for you  I would just  cancel & rebook another option  that suits your wants

JMO

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

let's face it folks

If there is  a situation that could endanger pax/ships  the cruise lines will change the itinerary  or cancel the cruise

Many situations have happened in the past where the cruise lines just altered  their cruise ports

If going to those Countries  is a priority for you  I would just  cancel & rebook another option  that suits your wants

JMO

Agree. Already looking at Great Britain & Ireland cruises for the summer to take the place of a Baltic cruise in August. And if not a cruise, I may just fly to Ireland and drive around for a week. My final payment date is April 15, should know by then whether or not there will be Baltic itineraries this summer.

Just out of curiosity I contacted HAL today to see if they had any information since we are on a May 8th Baltic sailing with final payment due March 9th.   But they aren't saying anything, other than we'll be notified if there is a change.    Our concern is that if HAL just replaces the 2 days in St Petersburg with sea days, then then we would definitely  cancel.  But if they would at least substitute for other ports, we could still be interested.   One would hope somebody at HAL has been doing some contingency planning all along,  but maybe they're just hoping passengers will still sail even with extra sea days.   But then I understand finding substitute ports may of course be logistically difficult given the amount of cruise traffic in the Baltic during the summer. 

Anybody else heard from their cruise lines of the likelihood of a substitute for St Petersburg?  We are 99.99% certain we will not be calling at St. Petersburg at this point!

14 minutes ago, Rodinglane said:

Just out of curiosity I contacted HAL today to see if they had any information since we are on a May 8th Baltic sailing with final payment due March 9th.   But they aren't saying anything, other than we'll be notified if there is a change.    Our concern is that if HAL just replaces the 2 days in St Petersburg with sea days, then then we would definitely  cancel.  But if they would at least substitute for other ports, we could still be interested.   One would hope somebody at HAL has been doing some contingency planning all along,  but maybe they're just hoping passengers will still sail even with extra sea days.   But then I understand finding substitute ports may of course be logistically difficult given the amount of cruise traffic in the Baltic during the summer. 

Anybody else heard from their cruise lines of the likelihood of a substitute for St Petersburg?  We are 99.99% certain we will not be calling at St. Petersburg at this point!

That is why we already canceled our Baltic cruise, we did not want two sea days cruising around in circles in the Baltic Sea. We substituted a 10 day cruise of Italy and Croatia sailing on almost the same dates.

Edited by terrydtx

1 hour ago, Noxequifans said:

Agreed .... perhaps the best time to keep relatively close to home when cruising

Things can get real bad real quick in this crazy world.   IF.. the current situation is met with incompetent and inept actions by the west, it could very well be a green light for China  to do the same in Tiwan., now free of the Olympics.   

I reference  recent Russian and Chinese joint large scale military drills together.    The picture is evolving and not in a good way for cruisers.......This is a far-reaching complex situation

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Things can get real bad real quick in this crazy world.   IF.. the current situation is met with incompetent and inept actions by the west, it could very well be a green light for China  to do the same in Tiwan., now free of the Olympics.   

I reference  recent Russian and Chinese joint large scale military drills together.    The picture is evolving and not in a good way for cruisers.......This is a far-reaching complex situation

Not in a good way for the whole world.  Even if we are not cruising this stuff will affect us all.  Have to hope for the best.

• Like 4

I am not interested in a cruise that will cancel few ports. And to be honest, i am not quite comfortable with visiting the port of a country that is at war. Many things could go wrong and sh1t could hit the fan in many ways. 

My problem is that i paid this cruise with FCC with NCL, now I'll have to book another one because refund will be in the form of FCC again.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Princess_Kupcake said:

I am not interested in a cruise that will cancel few ports. And to be honest, i am not quite comfortable with visiting the port of a country that is at war. Many things could go wrong and sh1t could hit the fan in many ways. 

My problem is that i paid this cruise with FCC with NCL, now I'll have to book another one because refund will be in the form of FCC again.

You knew the risks when booking during a pandemic, which likely caused the first cancellation, yes? Even though that's not the issue causing the problem with this sailing. It's disappointing, but nobody's fault.

5 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

You knew the risks when booking during a pandemic, which likely caused the first cancellation, yes? Even though that's not the issue causing the problem with this sailing. It's disappointing, but nobody's fault.

I am a healthcare worker, I really know the issues. I have 2 previous cruises that have been cancelled. I am fully aware that it's nobody's fault. I dont know why you say that?? My point is that EVEN if the cruise is not cancelled, having ports cancelled, or visit St-Petersburg makes me uncomfortable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Princess_Kupcake said:

I am a healthcare worker, I really know the issues. I have 2 previous cruises that have been cancelled. I am fully aware that it's nobody's fault. I dont know why you say that?? My point is that EVEN if the cruise is not cancelled, having ports cancelled, or visit St-Petersburg makes me uncomfortable. 

Sometimes, we have to put aside and weigh our desires as  the effect the common good.  And yes, its the actions of specific people who created this cause and effect.    Thats why people say that it is..

Presumably if the sanctions being imposed by Western Governments designed to terrify Putin into seeing reason include telling US owned cruise lines not to sail into Russian ports then either the lines will offer a refund or alternative venues. St Petersburg is a beautiful and interesting port of call and, in the maim, the people are friendly and welcoming. Unfortunately being under a virtual dictatorship and communist state in all but name leaves them no option but to conform.

17 minutes ago, Pet said:

Presumably if the sanctions being imposed by Western Governments designed to terrify Putin into seeing reason include telling US owned cruise lines not to sail into Russian ports then either the lines will offer a refund or alternative venues. St Petersburg is a beautiful and interesting port of call and, in the maim, the people are friendly and welcoming. Unfortunately being under a virtual dictatorship and communist state in all but name leaves them no option but to conform.

I agree.....  what this,now global, situation may produce is that offending nations like Russia, may become isolated and shut off  by the western world  by them or the west.   

We are witness to the "cause" today....What will be the historic and longer lasting effect  remains to be seen. 

Threats on both sides are mounting daily. It will be a VERY different future that emerges I think.

A poster on the NCL board is reporting that they've received an email from NCL stating that no NCL ships will call on St. Petersburg for the remainder 2022. Substitute itineraries are being developed and passengers and TAs will be informed of the changes ASAP.

Presumably Oceania will be advising its passengers and TAs of the same port cancellation.

Here's the NCL email I just got:

"Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you very much for your patronage and loyalty and for making us your cruise vacation of choice.

The health, safety and security of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our top priority. Due to the escalated situation between Russia and Ukraine we have made the decision to alter itineraries and remove calls to St. Petersburg, Russia from our sailings for the remainder of the year. Our team is diligently working to confirm replacement ports and will advise all impacted guests and travel advisors as soon as possible. We share your disappointment and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, but also hope you can understand the necessity of this action.

Due to this unfortunate event, if you booked shore excursions in St. Petersburg, Russia through Norwegian Cruise Line, they will be automatically canceled and refunded to the original form of payment. No further action is required on your part; your refund will be processed within 30 business days and will be visible within seven to ten business days from the processed date. The visibility of the funds is dependent on your financial institution's internal policies.

• Thanks 2

while  the world is in focus on Ukraine .. and sanctions  punish, let is not take our eye off the ball and consider that China has been the only nation to show support for Russia.    Might  sanctions thus spread  to nations that  were supportive?     An unknown  but interesting consideration.    Might  too  Asian  cruises and activities be effected ?     Maybe

Oceania has just sent a notice to people booked on Baltic cruises, that they will not be going to Russia or Ukraine for the foreseeable future.  They will immediately refund all relevant Oceania shore excursions.  Nothing is being said about the revised itinerary or being allowed to cancel with full refund.

Here is the message from Oceania I just received:

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

On behalf of Oceania Cruises, thank you for choosing us to continue your global explorations.

The health, safety and security of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our top priority. Due to the escalated situation between Russia and Ukraine, we have made the decision to alter itineraries and remove Russian and Ukrainian ports from our voyages for the remainder of the year. Our team is diligently working to confirm replacement ports and we will advise all impacted guests and travel advisors as soon as possible. We share your disappointment and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, but also hope you understand the necessity of this action.

Due to this unfortunate event, if you booked shore excursions in any of the affected ports through Oceania Cruises, they will be automatically canceled and refunded to the original form of payment. No further action is required on your part; your refund will be processed within 14 days. 

In addition, please be sure to visit OceaniaCruises.com to stay up to date about destination-specific travel requirements for your upcoming voyage. 

We are looking forward to welcoming you on board for your upcoming voyage. 

Warmest regards,

Carlos E. Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services

Should you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or Oceania Cruises at:

11 minutes ago, zoncom said:

Am on May 24 22N.  Past final payment        . NO we will not get a refund without penalty. Just wish they would acknowledge the replacement ports. They know the new ports now. Amsterdam would be nice.

They say "Our team is diligently working to confirm replacement ports."  So are you saying they are lying?

• Like 2