If Russia and Ukraine break out in a regional war what happens to cruises this summer in the Baltics?

terrydtx

19 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

With this discussion of a potential crisis in the Ukraine and folks considering cancelling prior to their FP date, has anyone had the Administrative Fee charged in the past? We've always cancelled far in advance of Days stated and the FP.  See extract from O site:

Cruises 14 days or Less:

DAYS PRIOR TO CRUISE SAIL DATE - CANCELLATION AMOUNT 
91-120 Days Prior - $250 per guest administrative fee+

Cruises 15 days or more except 180-Day Voyages: 

151-180 Days Prior - $250 per guest administrative fee+

+The Administrative Fee may be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation date and for travel within two years of issue. 

You will definitely be charged the Admin fee if you cancel after a certain date.  It can be converted to a FCC, so if you have another cruise coming up you can apply it to that.  It cannot be rolled over forever though, it definitely has a time limit.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WESTEAST said:

With this discussion of a potential crisis in the Ukraine and folks considering cancelling prior to their FP date, has anyone had the Administrative Fee charged in the past? We've always cancelled far in advance of Days stated and the FP.  See extract from O site:

Cruises 14 days or Less:

91-120 Days Prior - $250 per guest administrative fee+

Cruises 15 days or more except 180-Day Voyages: 

151-180 Days Prior - $250 per guest administrative fee+

+The Administrative Fee may be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation date and for travel within two years of issue. 

We are aware of this fee and if we cancel it will be more than 120 days out.

We are on the June 22 sailing from Oslo.  Cancellation isn't an option, because this cruise was paid for with FCC from an earlier cancellation due to Covid.  I suppose if the cruise goes, we have the choice of 1) taking a scenic look at the North Atlantic, or 2) losing a lot of money.  

9 minutes ago, Debbers said:

We are on the June 22 sailing from Oslo.  Cancellation isn't an option, because this cruise was paid for with FCC from an earlier cancellation due to Covid.  I suppose if the cruise goes, we have the choice of 1) taking a scenic look at the North Atlantic, or 2) losing a lot of money.  

Or, Oceania will replace Russian ports with ports in democratic countries. I can think of several.

• Like 2

We decided to cancel yesterday  and will look to book in 2024 or 25. Got enough worries with Covid do not need to add a war to them. My wife's primary port was St Petersburg and she didn't want to go if it gets canceled as a port.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Debbers said:

Are you just worried about the Russian ports  or all the other ports on the cruise?

I am sure if there is a safety issue Oceania will protect their ship & pax

You may still make many of the other ports  & maybe they will overnight in other cities instead of SPB

JMO

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We decided to cancel yesterday  and will look to book in 2024 or 25. Got enough worries with Covid do not need to add a war to them. My wife's primary port was St Petersburg and she didn't want to go if it gets canceled as a port.

I don’t blame you.  

6 minutes ago, LNielsen said:

We cancelled an August cruise because St. Petersburg was one of the main reasons we booked.  Not getting there would not sit well with us.   

We may have been on the same August cruise, Aug 7th for 10 nights. We canceled for the same reasons as you, St Petersburg.

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We may have been on the same August cruise, Aug 7th for 10 nights. We canceled for the same reasons as you, St Petersburg.

Ours was 18 nights, Reykjavik to Paris.   Broke my heart to make that phone call.  

4 minutes ago, LNielsen said:

Ours was 18 nights, Reykjavik to Paris.   Broke my heart to make that phone call.  

Same here, we booked the cruise in 2020 and after last year we thought we might be in the clear and then the possible hostilities with Russia and Ukraine happened.🥲

42 minutes ago, Mura said:

More and more I'm glad we did the Black Sea cruise when we did:  2012.  Could still go to Crimea then.

There is a growing list of places that you could  better enjoy  several years ago than now   AND the list is getting shorter and shorter every year      Both in Africa, Aisia and Mid east..     

Moral:     Do not delay today  what you want....Neither YOU or it may be available !!

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mura said:

More and more I'm glad we did the Black Sea cruise when we did:  2012.  Could still go to Crimea then.

We did the Black Sea Cruise in 2010.  The Crimea ports were the highlight of the cruise.  I'm so glad we were able to go when we did.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

There is a growing list of places that you could  better enjoy  several years ago than now   AND the list is getting shorter and shorter every year      Both in Africa, Aisia and Mid east..     

Moral:     Do not delay today  what you want....Neither YOU or it may be available !!

Exactly! We did Oceania's Copenhagen to Stockholm Baltic cruise a few years ago. Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia and 3 days in glorious St. Petersburg. It was fabulous and the point I'm trying to make is if there's somewhere you want to see and it's safe to do it, go now! We have said so many times we are glad we did that one when we did, as well as Egypt and Turkey. Hoping we can get to Japan next year. 

• Like 5

I'm a little nervous about our Baltic Cruise in mid May.  Going with my elderly parents and hubby.  I'm hoping for the best but figure if worse comes to worse, they will replace St Petes with another port.  We have all been there before but were excited to see it again.  

On 2/3/2022 at 1:29 PM, mamaclark said:

Exactly! We did Oceania's Copenhagen to Stockholm Baltic cruise a few years ago. Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia and 3 days in glorious St. Petersburg. It was fabulous and the point I'm trying to make is if there's somewhere you want to see and it's safe to do it, go now! We have said so many times we are glad we did that one when we did, as well as Egypt and Turkey. Hoping we can get to Japan next year. 

We did the 7-day Stockholm to Copenhagen cruise in 2019 - Helsinki, overnight in St. Petersburg, Tallinn, and Berlin (Warnemunde) in between. I loved all the cities, and St. Petersburg was exceptionally meaningful to me since I have Russian roots on both sides of my family. So glad we took that cruise when we did! 

On 1/25/2022 at 8:56 AM, CptBoatface said:

Well, I'm from a low density MOS that has a a decent likelihood of forced recall if this stumbles on, even though Im 54.  This time I won't be handing out teddy bears. Pretty sure it would be the worst shore excursion EVER.  Flights would be paid though, "meals" provided. 

Hmm...I was 98G3LRUK3 but, 45-50 years later, I doubt they'd want me back.  It would take more time and money to "refresh" my memory than to train a newbie.

• Like 1

We were on a Northern European cruise about 10 years ago and, even then, folks in the Baltic states would openly discuss the constant, low-key threat they felt from Moscow.  Apparently, throughout history, there have been too many instances when the Russians/Soviets decided to step into their countries to "alleviate" a perceived threat - and never leaving voluntarily.

• Like 2

We were on a Baltic cruise in the summer of 2001. Our guide in Talinn was very emotional recounting the raising of the Estonian flag following the dissolution of the Soviet Union.  St. Petersburg was amazing, but there were obvious signs of Soviet buildings in disrepair. We are looking forward to revisiting many ports to see the difference after 21 years, and we really hope this trip will be safe.

Edited by BWV
  • Like 1

We have done both: Black Sea ports Sevastopol and Yalta, and the Baltic with St Pete overnight.  Both fascinating and worthwhile, but would not return today under the yoke of Putin-style oppression.  We have also lived in eastern Europe, Yugoslavia and Romania, in the 1980s and experienced Ceaucescu dictatorship (North Korean style in Europe).  Remember that you are taken on strict tours to visit "approved" places.  And be very careful in St Pete which is the center of Putin's disinformation propaganda  against the west and Ukraine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Our last Oceania cruise was a Baltic cruise in July 2019.

Whilst STP was a highlight, I loved all the other ports particularly Stockholm, Riga, Tallinn, and Oslo.

Losing STP would have been disappointing, but the rest of the cruise would still have been a joy and there's no way I would have cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Beagle5 said:

Our last Oceania cruise was a Baltic cruise in July 2019.

Whilst STP was a highlight, I loved all the other ports particularly Stockholm, Riga, Tallinn, and Oslo.

Losing STP would have been disappointing, but the rest of the cruise would still have been a joy and there's no way I would have cancelled.

Thanks for this perspective.  We face the same dilemma this summer, and since DW didn't really want to set foot in Russia anyway, I will keep this in mind.  I can always go back to STP after regime change, or [as DW says] with my next wife!*

*  she expects me to outlive her

• Like 4
  • Haha 2