If Russia and Ukraine break out in a regional war what happens to cruises this summer in the Baltics?

terrydtx

3 hours ago, ExArkie said:

Your final payment timing is different from ours. We are booked on Marina in the Baltic for August 17 (which we will undoubtedly be cancelling soon), but our final payment date is shown as May 19, 2022, which is about 90 days out if I counted correctly. 

Four weeks from today would put your final payment due around 150 days from embarkation day? Does Oceania have that much variability in their payment terms? (Sorry, my first time with Oceania. Still figuring out the process.) 

Cruises over 14 days in length final payment is 150 days out

Also check the Penalty dates  some are surprised  by the ADMIN fee 

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005306234-What-is-your-cancellation-and-refund-policy-

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005305934-What-is-your-deposit-and-payment-policy-

Information should be on your invoice

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Cruises over 14 days in length final payment is 150 days out

Also check the Penalty dates  some are surprised  by the ADMIN fee 

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005306234-What-is-your-cancellation-and-refund-policy-

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005305934-What-is-your-deposit-and-payment-policy-

Information should be on your invoice

Thank you - as I tend to ignore a lot of things that do not directly apply to me, I'd missed the part about longer cruises requiring earlier payment. Definitely paying attention to the penalty dates, since we'll have to cancel before then unless they have a fantastic alternative to St. Petersburg.

9 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Would be helpful if O shortened the Final Payment window on upcoming summer European/Med cruises. Payment on Aug. 28 Riviera due in 4 weeks…..already cancelled May 2022 due to FP 5 months in advance. 

I am on August 18 Riveria.........already paid in full.       Bottom line, if you give up hope now, what have you got left?     Hope for the future is all you and I have left.. ...  Despair is a  lethal companion..

The only  realization , going forward is that you will not see any Baltic or Balkan Sea cruises in many , many, many years..   

The rest of Europe is  your apple... a golden one too........

Edited by Hawaiidan

11 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

I am on August 18 Riveria.........already paid in full.       Bottom line, if you give up hope now, what have you got left?     Hope for the future is all you and I have left.. ...  Despair is a  lethal companion..

The only  realization , going forward is that you will not see any Baltic or Balkan Sea cruises in many , many, many years..   

I partially disagree. I believe the Baltic cruises will go as far as Helsinki and Tallin. Black Sea cruises are history beyond Istanbul which will remain on the schedules.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I partially disagree. I believe the Baltic cruises will go as far as Helsinki and Tallin. Black Sea cruises are history beyond Istanbul which will remain on the schedules.

55 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Geopolitical positions and the captive nature of the Baltic( only one way in and one way out)  which is presented, make  anything past Copenhagen a  dangerous and risky place a mix of threatened  non NATO and radical Russian allies. asl long as the current power in Moscow is in power........Insurance alone will be prohibitive.  Put your TRAD hat on for a min there  trooper, tactically bad positions...

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Dan;

The three Baltic States and Sweden are all part of NATO. The three Baltic States joined in 2004. The NATO countries will not allow a naval blockade by Russia of any of its member nations. A war will happen before it’s allowed.

Which, if that occurs, pretty much means we ain't going nowhere

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Dan;

The three Baltic States and Sweden are all part of NATO. The three Baltic States joined in 2004. The NATO countries will not allow a naval blockade by Russia of any of its member nations. A war will happen before it’s allowed.

We you Shure  about Sweden and Finland?  ... both allies in name but declared  a neutrality .     As of yesterday they were not IN  NATO  and thus not subject to the article  defense pact  trying to play both fields

,  putin just threatened them IF they became NATO ?     

A war will happen if they do.....  which is precisely why its a " bad gound." a  risky place you do not to be in.... talk about  :between a rock and a hard place>>>  a new 38th parallel 

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

Let's not forget the impact Putin's madness will have on the Transpacific voyages that will affect the Russian Far East and stops in Petropavlovsk. Not the most beautiful of cities for a visit, it has fuel depots. Can cruise lines going to and returning from Japan make it to Alaska and the West Coast without a refueling stop there?

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 2:19 PM, LHT28 said:

we enjoyed our stop in Svalbard 

we had booked a private tour with our friend but the tour guide  was a no show  so we just enjoyed the town & went to their museum there  it was well worth the price of admission

That's exactly what we did when we were there, and for the same reason.  REALLY enjoyed the museum.

MURA

9 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Yes, I do have hope and agree that despair is a sad (not lethal) companion. However, I also have a  $17,000 cruise with $14,000 payment due.  How about O Showing me some hope, and making my FP 90 days out rather than 150?  If Europe remains the golden Apple as you claim, and doesn’t become a rotten apple, this cruise could probably be rebooked closer to sail date. Under present world conditions, now may not be a good time to risk such a large sum of money on the unknown. Hopefully there may be some clarity in 4 weeks 🤞

3 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Yes, I do have hope and agree that despair is a sad (not lethal) companion. However, I also have a  $17,000 cruise with $14,000 payment due.  How about O Showing me some hope, and making my FP 90 days out rather than 150?  If Europe remains the golden Apple as you claim, and doesn’t become a rotten apple, this cruise could probably be rebooked closer to sail date. Under present world conditions, now may not be a good time to risk such a large sum of money on the unknown. Hopefully there may be some clarity in 4 weeks 🤞

well....as I say.....you can always get more money.........YOU CAN NOT GET MORE TIME.      Thats my reality......   It is risk I am willing to take

• Like 2

The ripple effect of war and its impact on cruising. Sure at minimum Russian airports and ports are off limits to us for the foreseeable future. And Russian products like real Russian vodka and real Russian caviar, it any still exists on ships. I had some trips planned that would have taken me to Russian ports that I have now cancelled even if the cruise lines and airlines do not. Maybe other adjacent area ports too will be impacted. Many feel Russia has to be punished severely for their aggressive acts bringing war to Europe.  Boycott efforts are growing. Depending on how Russia reacts to sanctions and  EU aid to Ukraine, it could get a lot worse. Insane threatening of nukes. If civilization is not systemically destroyed or cruising dramatically damaged by an escalating war, there will other other impacts. The shunning of Russian passported entertainers, as is happening now all over the world, and maybe even barring Russian passported crew members. Russian passported passengers— will they be allowed by cruise lines?. Russian people will suffer dramatically because of the evil things their government is doing— even those who do not support their leader's war.  Cruise fares will also become more expensive as fuel costs rise. The world could fall apart worse than COVID.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Dan;

Sweden and Finland are unfortunately not NATO member, but hopefully that will change soon.

Edited by Fredrik
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, brittany12 said:

The ripple effect of war and its impact on cruising. Sure at minimum Russian airports and ports are off limits to us for the foreseeable future. And Russian products like real Russian vodka and real Russian caviar, it any still exists on ships. I had some trips planned that would have taken me to Russian ports that I have now cancelled even if the cruise lines and airlines do not. Maybe other adjacent area ports too will be impacted. Many feel Russia has to be punished severely for their aggressive acts bringing war to Europe.  Boycott efforts are growing. Depending on how Russia reacts to sanctions and  EU aid to Ukraine, it could get a lot worse. Insane threatening of nukes. If civilization is not systemically destroyed or cruising dramatically damaged by an escalating war, there will other other impacts. The shunning of Russian passported entertainers, as is happening now all over the world, and maybe even barring Russian passported crew members. Russian passported passengers— will they be allowed by cruise lines?. Russian people will suffer dramatically because of the evil things their government is doing— even those who do not support their leader's war.  Cruise fares will also become more expensive as fuel costs rise. The world could fall apart worse than COVID.

It is a sad reality that being a Russian today is now the mark of Cain...

They and we suffer   because of bad leaders.   Lets hope  for all our sakes   that changes.     Our future is at stake....   not just cruising ........our way of life.     

• Like 3

The intro to the Guidelines of this website talks about how it is comprised of those who "absolutely love cruising." A "haven." One of the most lovable features of the close to 50 cruises my spouse and have taken over the decades is the adventure of sailing into strange ports and getting off the ships to see amazing things and meet local people. Among the nicest destinations and most pleasant people with whom we interfaced on our cruises were Ukraine and its people. Odessa, Yalta, Sevastopol. Wonderful stops. Amazing kind people. On these trips real and imagined for the future, to Kyiv, where my ancestors—like so many—are from. Just warm, and caring individuals.  The thought of that beautiful country being bombed back to the Stone Age by a ruthless tyrant, and thousands of its  freedom-loving citizens being killed, is too much for most of us to absorb without huge emotions. As we continue on in these pages talking about wine, cabins, COVID and upgrades, there must be accountability against those responsible and remembrance for the fallen. Cruise ships will never go there again, or to any Russian port.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, brittany12 said:

The intro to the Guidelines of this website talks about how it is comprised of those who "absolutely love cruising." A "haven." One of the most lovable features of the close to 50 cruises my spouse and have taken over the decades is the adventure of sailing into strange ports and getting off the ships to see amazing things and meet local people. Among the nicest destinations and most pleasant people with whom we interfaced on our cruises were Ukraine and its people. Odessa, Yalta, Sevastopol. Wonderful stops. Amazing kind people. On these trips real and imagined for the future, to Kyiv, where my ancestors—like so many—are from. Just warm, and caring individuals.  The thought of that beautiful country being bombed back to the Stone Age by a ruthless tyrant, and thousands of its  freedom-loving citizens being killed, is too much for most of us to absorb without huge emotions. As we continue on in these pages talking about wine, cabins, COVID and upgrades, there must be accountability against those responsible and remembrance for the fallen. Cruise ships will never go there again, or to any Russian port.

Your so right........There will not be a cruise to those places till after Putin''s demise...  and  only then very slowly after Russia pays to rebuild Ukraine....... Maybe a decade from know...maybe longer.

3 hours ago, brittany12 said:

Cruise ships will never go there again, or to any Russian port

History tells us that Germany was our enemy in WWI and WWII , and slaughtered millions of Jews and other ethnic minorities it deemed inferior . Today Germany is one of our staunchest allies.

History tells us that Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, bringing us into WWII. History also tells us that the war in the Pacific ended shortly after we killed thousands of civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki by using nuclear weapons. Today the US and Japan are allies.

To say that cruise ships will "never go there again or to any Russian port" ignores the fact that time heals wounds .

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

History tells us that Germany was our enemy in WWI and WWII , and slaughtered millions of Jews and other ethnic minorities it deemed inferior . Today Germany is one of our staunchest allies.

History tells us that Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, bringing us into WWII. History also tells us that the war in the Pacific ended shortly after we killed thousands of civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki by using nuclear weapons. Today the US and Japan are allies.

To say that cruise ships will "never go there again or to any Russian port" ignores the fact that time heals wounds .

Your points are valid, but if we change "never again" to ''never in our remaining lifetime" and apply that to the Oceania demographic, I'd say that was a fair statement.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Your points are valid, but if we change "never again" to ''never in our remaining lifetime" and apply that to the Oceania demographic, I'd say that was a fair statement.

I'm still planning to live for a few more years...🙂