If Russia and Ukraine break out in a regional war what happens to cruises this summer in the Baltics?

terrydtx

21 minutes ago, susiesan said:

What are you talking about? There are no Baltic cruises cancelled. The first Baltic sailing is May 18 onInsignia available to book. All the subsequent cruises are open. Of course, this can all change later today.

I believe the Poster is talking about individual bookings being canceled on a Baltic Cruise. Our Marina Baltic cruise that we canceled now shows every category as being available. Just prior to canceling every category was showing as sold out or waitlisted.

17 minutes ago, AvatarNC said:

Personally I think the cruise lines should begin canceling cruises to any and all Russian ports.  Without getting too political, there has to be a price to pay for this kind of aggression.

Nothing political, Russia is invading a sovereign country and needs to pay a price. Putin is no different than a former tyrant in Germany in the last century.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, izzywalker said:

We r due to pay balance for our cruise in May for the Baltic.

We are thinking of transferring it, if at all possible.

we do not feel comfortable with this cruise now and any cruise there in the future!

usually you cancel the current booking ...get a refund of the deposit  depending if you are in a  penalty stage

Booking a new cruise is a separate transaction

If using an FCC it is a different system

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

usually you cancel the current booking ...get a refund of the deposit  depending if any penalty

Booking a new cruise is a separate transaction

If using an FCC it is a different system

When we canceled our Baltic cruise last month we got a 100% refund of the $1500 deposit in less than two weeks, I was very happy.

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

When we canceled our Baltic cruise last month we got a 100% refund of the $1500 deposit in less than two weeks, I was very happy.

Then you were not in the penalty period 

so no problem

It will hurt a lot of us, but there should be no travel on a cruise that goes to any Russian port. Cruiselines will begin to adjust their sailings as this conflict heats up, public antipathy grows against Russia—an aggressor nation threatening world peace.. No criminal behavior by any country's leader against peaceful and sovereign  neighbor-nations should be allowed. Some my nicest cruising memories involve Black Sea Ukrainian ports such as Odessa, and the once former Crimean ports of Sevastopol and Yalta. No more.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brittany12 said:

It will hurt a lot of us, but there should be no travel on a cruise that goes to any Russian port. Cruiselines will begin to adjust their sailings as this conflict heats up, public antipathy grows against Russia—an aggressor nation threatening world peace.. No criminal behavior by any country's leader against peaceful and sovereign  neighbor-nations should be allowed. Some my nicest cruising memories involve Black Sea Ukrainian ports such as Odessa, and the once former Crimean ports of Sevastopol and Yalta. No more.

+ 1

4 hours ago, AvatarNC said:

Personally I think the cruise lines should begin canceling cruises to any and all Russian ports.  Without getting too political, there has to be a price to pay for this kind of aggression.

The cruise line is a publicly traded business. They can't decide to make a political statement by canceling cruises.  If they were a privately held company they could, but most likely would not. Everyone here would likely say "oh no", if they go out of business, and then focus on traveling with another line.  Nobody is going to support them financially for making a political statement that damages the bottom line. 

On another note, I would think that most people would not have to wait for either the politicians or the cruise line to tell them that it's too risky to travel there now. One still has to take responsibility for one's own decisions.  Can you imagine the cruise going forward, getting off at St Petersburg, overnight things going south, and they won't let you get back onboard or let the ship leave port.  Do you think you will be treated well? If it were to happen though, I'm sure everyone would want not only a refund but extra inconvenience pay as well !

20 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

The cruise line is a publicly traded business. They can't decide to make a political statement by canceling cruises.  If they were a privately held company they could, but most likely would not. Everyone here would likely say "oh no", if they go out of business, and then focus on traveling with another line.  Nobody is going to support them financially for making a political statement that damages the bottom line.

Many public corporations have been taking political positions in the last few years, and some have even decided to cancel entire countries or half the US.  Their CEOs seem to think they gain more goodwill than they lose – although at least one [Penzeys spices] has discovered the opposite. 

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Many public corporations have been taking political positions in the last few years, and some have even decided to cancel entire countries or half the US.  Their CEOs seem to think they gain more goodwill than they lose – although at least one [Penzeys spices] has discovered the opposite. 

Penzeys Ltd. (which produces Penzeys spices) is a private company.  Do you know of another public company? CEO would not be able to make such a decision with board approval which pretty much means shareholder approval.

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

Penzeys Ltd. (which produces Penzeys spices) is a private company.  Do you know of another public company? CEO would not be able to make such a decision with board approval which pretty much means shareholder approval.

Ben & Jerry's – owned by Unilever. 

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Ben & Jerry's – owned by Unilever. 

Ben & Jerry's Has always had a social agenda.  Now they are indeed a wholly owned subsidiary of Unilever. However, in order to do that deal they struck a highly unusual bargain. They have their own independent board which has specifically been chosen to protect the brand integrity and the company social agenda.  This is very atypical. Unilever is said to be looking to restructure the deal specifically because their shareholders are unhappy with it.

So where there may be exceptions, they are few and very far between.

Edited by Guppy99

10 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Ben & Jerry's Has always had a social agenda.  Now they are indeed a wholly owned subsidiary of Unilever. However, in order to do that deal they struck a highly unusual bargain. They have their own independent board which has specifically been chosen to protect the brand integrity and the company social agenda.  This is very atypical. Unilever is said to be looking to restructure the deal specifically because their shareholders are unhappy with it.

So where there may be exceptions, they are few and very far between.

There are more, but I'm done with your carping responses.  Woke-A-Cola.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

With sanctions running wild it is  notfair to think that Russia and other bloc countries might not invoke sanctions against the west.?.       Much of Europe is energy dependent on Russia...  even the USA now. 

Should this continue  could  this could effect all  cruises in  Europe  not just the Balkans and Baltic.? 

So many countries are  dependent on Russian support and supply this sanction  game  can be played by both sides..........  Lets hope  it does not get there   but might be prudent to look as all 2022 cruises as potential casualties.    Plan B time.. maybe C and D too

Ps...somehow I don't think cutting off Ben and Jerrys from  anyone is going to make a big deal except Ben and Jerry..

I think some are missing the point about canceling ports, if travel bans are imposed by NATO or EU countries to Russia the cruise lines would be unable to keep any Russian or possibly Russian allies ports in their itineraries. I saw one news report today that the Putin imposed puppet governments of Lithuania and Estonia and Latvia were supporting Russia in its aggression with Ukraine, so those ports could be part of any EU sanctions and bans. In these cases, the cruise lines are not making the decisions to cancel ports in their itineraries it is the EU or other governments.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I think some are missing the point about canceling ports, if travel bans are imposed by NATO or EU countries to Russia the cruise lines would be unable to keep any Russian or possibly Russian allies ports in their itineraries. I saw one news report today that the Putin imposed puppet governments of Lithuania and Estonia and Latvia were supporting Russia in its aggression with Ukraine, so those ports could be part of any EU sanctions and bans. In these cases, the cruise lines are not making the decisions to cancel ports in their itineraries it is the EU or other governments.

Not to get political here, but what I read says: (sorry it came out so large)

Estonian PM calls for strong sanctions and ‘strategic patience’ in dealing with Moscow

PM Kaja Kallas urges dialogue with Putin, but no negotiation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia are members of the EU and NATO.  All have unequivocally spoken against Russia and their latest actions against Ukraine.    They are most definitely not puppet governments of Russia.    I'm not sure where Terrydtx gets his/her news, but a little bit of searching the major news channels does not support this assertion. 

Edited by Rodinglane
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I’ll never buy from Penzeys again. They’ve lost my business. The Spice House has a great product and they don’t tell me what I should think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I’ll never buy from Penzeys again. They’ve lost my business. The Spice House has a great product and they don’t tell me what I should think.

The greatest (and perhaps only) power a consumer has is to withhold their dollars from any company that behaves in a manner they don't agree with. Whether that's a political agenda, a bigotry issue (think Chick-fil-A), or customer service.  If you don't endorse it, don't buy it.

• Like 3

I don’t believe in 2022, and even 2023, you’ll find a large international cruise line taking passengers from the Western free world into any Russian port. If you’re currently booked on a cruise with those ports included, get ready for port changes. Either accept the changes or wait until 2025, or thereafter, to see if things have changed. 

Maybe Putin wants Ukraine, and beyond, more than your tourist dollars. Look at the stats on the current Russian economy. He cares little about the economic plight of the citizens. He and his buddies will continue to live large.

• Like 4