If Russia and Ukraine break out in a regional war what happens to cruises this summer in the Baltics?

terrydtx

47 minutes ago, zoncom said:

They know the new ports now.

I’m not sure you have any basis for this statement…..do you?

This situation escalated quite rapidly, and count me among the many who never believed that Putin would actually invade.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Queen of DaNile said:

We got the same Cruise Update as well as it pertains to our July cruise in the Black Sea, Istanbul to Athens. I'm sure they are scrambling to salvage this sailing and finding alternate ports can't be easy.

Prayers for the Ukrainian people.

We are on a Greek cruise in August on another line that overnights in Istanbul, I wouldn't be surprised if that port gets canceled. Russia supposedly has the entrance to the Black Sea blocked by naval warships.

• Like 1

I really commend Frank del Rio and Norwegian cruise lines not going  to Russian ports. I am sure they will replace St. Petersburg with some other interesting place. But this is not the time for the world to stand by idly and let Putin invade Ukraine and perhaps many of the

other former Soviet countries. We may not be able to stop Putin from taking over the Ukraine but we do not have to give him any US dollars or any other currency

• Like 5

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We are on a Greek cruise in August on another line that overnights in Istanbul, I wouldn't be surprised if that port gets canceled. Russia supposedly has the entrance to the Black Sea blocked by naval warships.

With both Bulgaria and Romania members of NATO, I truly doubt that the entrance to the Black Sea through the Bosphorus (which separates the European and Asian sides of Istanbul) has been blocked by naval warships.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

With both Bulgaria and Romania members of NATO, I truly doubt that the entrance to the Black Sea through the Bosphorus (which separates the European and Asian sides of Istanbul) has been blocked by naval warships.

If there was no military threat in the Black Sea by Russia, why have Oceania and Viking both canceled the port of Istanbul?  It has been reported by several news sources that the Russian Navy has a huge presence in the Black Sea.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

If there was no military threat in the Black Sea by Russia, why have Oceania and Viking both canceled cruises that involve the port of Istanbul?  

Which Oceania cruises that include Istanbul have been cancelled?  

5 minutes ago, LNielsen said:

Which Oceania cruises that include Istanbul have been cancelled?  

It was reported in post number 127 above. I made an edit in my post only the ports of Istanbul were being canceled not the whole cruise.

Edited by terrydtx

21 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

It was reported in post number 127 above. I made an edit in my post only the ports of Istanbul were being canceled not the whole cruise.

Thank you 😊. I didn’t read the post as Istanbul having been cancelled. Instead, I read it as Istanbul being the embarkation point with Russian or Ukrainian ports being cancelled.   

It's a sad day for the world.  Macron's comments were especially sobering.

Certainly Russian ports will be cancelled, but I am also wondering what other ports might be affected if the armed conflict grows.  Balkan ports are likely, but maybe Croatia?  After two years of Covid cancellations, I'm sure we're all itching to get away, but concerned about an already ugly situation growing larger....

34 minutes ago, LNielsen said:

Thank you 😊. I didn’t read the post as Istanbul having been cancelled. Instead, I read it as Istanbul being the embarkation point with Russian or Ukrainian ports being cancelled.   

You read correctly. See post 123 for Oceania's exact wording. Istanbul has not been cancelled.

Edited by Queen of DaNile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

With all due respect, you are spreading a lot of disinformation regarding indisputable facts in your recent posts on the Oceania board. First you asserted that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, all members of NATO, were Russian puppet states; then you claimed in post 128 above that Russia has “the entrance to the Black Sea blocked by naval warships.” Please note that Bulgaria and Romania (look at a map of all the countries which border the Black Sea) also are NATO members. 

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 7

For those of you who will not have the opportunity to take an unfettered Black Sea cruise, let me tell you that in the old, peaceful days before the Russian taking over of the Crimea, it was magnificent. On Oceania Nautica ten years ago. Ukrainian ports of Odessa, Yalta and Sevastopol. Then Russian Sochi. Then some Turkish ports way out into the Sea on opposite sides—Trabzon and Sinop. My DW and I often say it was the best of our many cruises. Ports in Turkey, Bulgaria and Rumania too. Turkey controls access into the Black Sea—not Russia. The trip up the Bosporus through Turkish waters and into the Black Sea itself was highly memorable. Those days are sadly gone.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, terrydtx said:

If there was no military threat in the Black Sea by Russia, why have Oceania and Viking both canceled the port of Istanbul?  It has been reported by several news sources that the Russian Navy has a huge presence in the Black Sea.

Your original post said the Russians had blocked the entrance to the Black Sea. That’s different to having a large presence in the Black Sea. The Black Sea is a very big body of water.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

You read correctly. See post 123 for Oceania's exact wording. Istanbul has not been cancelled.

Thank you.  

Honestly,  I don’t see how your post could have been interpreted in any other way.  I had read the announcement re Russian and Ukrainian ports, couldn’t imagine I had

missed a similar announcement for Istanbul.   

My summer Baltic cruise is on NCL and this is what they are doing. They are just dropping SPB and using the 2 days that there as sea days. They are not looking for other ports or revising the itinerary. And they are keeping the price the same. Look for Oceania to do the same thing.

Edited by susiesan

28 minutes ago, susiesan said:

My summer Baltic cruise is on NCL and this is what they are doing. They are just dropping SPB and using the 2 days that there as sea days. They are not looking for other ports or revising the itinerary. And they are keeping the price the same. Look for Oceania to do the same thing.

You haven’t a clue as to what they are , or  are not , looking for. You have been notified that the ship(s) will not go to SPB or other Russian ports, period. Whether NCLH lines opt to substitute other ports into the schedule is a logistical issue to be worked out in the coming months.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

You haven’t a clue as to what they are , or  are not , looking for. You have been notified that the ship(s) will not go to SPB or other Russian ports, period. Whether NCLH lines opt to substitute other ports into the schedule is a logistical issue to be worked out in the coming months.

Take a look at NCL web site and go to book a Baltic cruise. You will see the scheduled itinerary that is being sold now. Where it said SPB it now says day at sea. This pertains to all Baltic cruises on 2 NCL ships. Perhaps Oceania will do it differently than NCL since their cruises cost a lot more. Yes, I was notified my ship will not be going to SPB and they were working on replacement ports, but then NCL posted and is now selling itineraries with 2 sea days in place of SPB with no price reduction.

For now, Oceania's itineraries still show SPB. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Take a look at NCL web site and go to book a Baltic cruise. You will see the scheduled itinerary that is being sold now. Where it said SPB it now says day at sea. This pertains to all Baltic cruises on 2 NCL ships. Perhaps Oceania will do it differently than NCL since their cruises cost a lot more. Yes, I was notified my ship will not be going to SPB and they were working on replacement ports, but then NCL posted and is now selling itineraries with 2 sea days in place of SPB with no price reduction.

Always the possibility that they are working on replacement ports and are using "days at sea" as a place holder until they have confirmed the new ports.   It would be impossible for a cruise line to have confirmed new ports in place of SPB in the last 24 - 48 hours.....we will wait a few weeks and see what the new itinerary looks like.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, susiesan said:

True. But I checked my excursions; St P has been removed from my list. No change in the accounting has been made as yet.  Also, in the Shop for Excursions page, Russian ports were shown on a white background, indicating (I assume) they are cancelled.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brittany12 said:

For those of you who will not have the opportunity to take an unfettered Black Sea cruise, let me tell you that in the old, peaceful days before the Russian taking over of the Crimea, it was magnificent. On Oceania Nautica ten years ago. Ukrainian ports of Odessa, Yalta and Sevastopol. Then Russian Sochi. Then some Turkish ports way out into the Sea on opposite sides—Trabzon and Sinop. My DW and I often say it was the best of our many cruises. Ports in Turkey, Bulgaria and Rumania too. Turkey controls access into the Black Sea—not Russia. The trip up the Bosporus through Turkish waters and into the Black Sea itself was highly memorable. Those days are sadly gone.

Plus 1 

Jancruz1

• Like 1