Bringing Wine on board

gone2c

1 minute ago, SRF said:

I did not say they would confiscate,  I said you had to go down to open the bag to show them that it was wine.

If you have been putting it in your checked luggage and having it delivered to the cabin, you have been lucky.  Most people have had to go down to show it to the staff.

I've been on several cruises and never have I been called down. I've been driving to the ports my last few cruises so I'm not worried about the bottle breaking -- I also put lots of padding on all sides. 

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

I've been on several cruises and never have I been called down. I've been driving to the ports my last few cruises so I'm not worried about the bottle breaking -- I also put lots of padding on all sides. 

Have you watched the porters handling your bags?

I travel by air a lot, and have purchased and packed a LOT of bottles in my checked luggage.  I only have had 2 break.

Just now, SRF said:

Have you watched the porters handling your bags?

I travel by air a lot, and have purchased and packed a LOT of bottles in my checked luggage.  I only have had 2 break.

I guess I'm lucky in that aspect as well -- never had a bottle break. When flying internationally, I buy 2 bottles at the airport duty free shop. These are handed separately as you walk off the plane. When I get my luggage I put them in the bag I will check in for the cruise. Never had a problem doing this. Color me lucky.

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, the porters in Pt Canaveral remind you that wine can't go in your checked bags when you drop them off. They tell you to carry it on

I've only sailed out of PC once with two bottles in checked luggage and luckily didn't get called to the naughty room. Guess either my luggage or way of packing fools booze scanning devices or I've been extremely lucky. 

On 3/12/2022 at 8:52 AM, livingonthebeach said:

I guess I'm lucky in that aspect as well -- never had a bottle break. When flying internationally, I buy 2 bottles at the airport duty free shop. These are handed separately as you walk off the plane. When I get my luggage I put them in the bag I will check in for the cruise. Never had a problem doing this. Color me lucky.

Had a 375ml plastic bottle of vodka in a checked bag along with a 3 outlet adapter. Got called to the naughty room for the 3 outlet adapter. Got to keep the vodka and retrieved the adapter at the end of the cruise. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, wikoffclan said:

Had a 375ml plastic bottle of vodka in a checked bag along with a 3 outlet adapter. Got called to the naughty room for the 3 outlet adapter. Got to keep the vodka and retrieved the adapter at the end of the cruise. 🤣

Surprised they let you keep the vodka as that is specifically not allowed. 

Just now, wikoffclan said:

For sure! It was like they never noticed and were concentrated on the extension cord!

The ++ was that this happened on Cunard and their policy allows for bringing wine onboard at ports of call at each stop. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 9:52 AM, livingonthebeach said:

I sometimes buy something on the way out or between locations.  So you can only carry them on when you are transiting.  If you stop somewhere, they have to continue in checked baggage.

One time was a bottle of sake that ended up near the corner of a softside suitcase.  It seems they dropped it on that corner putting on the baggage claim conveyor.  It started dripping as I pulled the bag off the conveyor.

I think the other was a defective bottle. It was of a brandy, and the bottle just disintegrated into small pieces.

This well over 100 bottles over the years.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, little britain said:

At least 75% of wine sold in England is now screw tops! If I ever buy one it’s by accident and comes as a surprise when I have to open it! 

I seem to remember reading that there was a problem with real cork.  There are some artificial ones I think.  As long as the wine in the bottle is good I don't care. Dh travels with a corkscrew and rubber stoppers. We're prepared.