QM2 wine list

IslandWeasel

7 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

There is a link to an earlier thread with a 2019 price list here

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2826403-drink-prices

@IslandWeasel, my post #33 (on page 2) of the thread that @Host Hattiequoted has a pdf of the 2019 Cunard wine list and prices.  Prices and selections will probably have changed since then, but the older list might give you some ideas.  Best wishes for your voyage!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, kohl1957 said:

Actually.... not.  Pretty much across the board, the prices for drinks and wine, by glass or bottle, are unchanged from 2019.  So there was no "sticker shock" aboard QM2 last month. 

The main thing I noted was the price increase on Whispering Angel - Côtes de Provence - Rosé by the glass, which took it out of contention on the drinks package. I spotted that from a recent photo of the "by the glass list" on a cruiser's blog.

Having said that, I went to bother of sourcing a bottle here (it's not common in French shops) and it was very dry but had little flavour. The much cheaper Cunard IGP (Indication Géographique Protégée) rosé is probably closer to the rosé we drink here regularly.

3 minutes ago, D&N said:

The main thing I noted was the price increase on Whispering Angel - Côtes de Provence - Rosé by the glass, which took it out of contention on the drinks package. I spotted that from a recent photo of the "by the glass list" on a cruiser's blog.

Having said that, I went to bother of sourcing a bottle here (it's not common in French shops) and it was very dry but had little flavour. The much cheaper Cunard IGP (Indication Géographique Protégée) rosé is probably closer to the rosé we drink here regularly.

Do you think the fires, which have more or less wiped out some Provençal vineyards, may be a reason for rosé prices, in particular, rising, not just on Cunard, but in general?

3 hours ago, D&N said:

I only have an opinion of the NZ list - I  thought it was a bit weird. I would probably agree with the reds - but the whites including nothing that I would drink at home ie NZ . And no Cloudy Bay which is probably the most recognized  NZ brand overseas  And yes we were sailing out of Australia so their wine list is fleet wide - which probably makes the procurement for some fringe countries more challenging 

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Do you think the fires, which have more or less wiped out some Provençal vineyards, may be a reason for rosé prices, in particular, rising, not just on Cunard, but in general?

Well, that’s scary! Our son and his family live in Marseille and have ever since he went there to finish his doctorate nine years ago. Were these fires close to Marseille? I didn’t hear about them from him!

Edited by 2Oldpeopleinlove
Autocorrect’s love affair with inappropriate apostrophes
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Well, that’s scary! Our son and his family live in Marseille and have ever since he went there to finish his doctorate nine years ago. Were these fires close to Marseille? I didn’t hear about them from him!

Many headlines in August last year about the fires in Southern France and how wineries involved were 'counting the cost' of damaged vineyards and yes, the fires were near to Marseille.

We do like our wine, especially with dinner.  We sailed the QM2 in December and did not have a drinks package, so we ordered bottles with dinner.  The wine list was incredibly large with wines from all over the world.  We had great fun exploring odd countries.  Lots of wines below $50, lots.

And remember you can always carry on board and bring to dinner for a corkage fee.

10 hours ago, lissie said:

I only have an opinion of the NZ list - I  thought it was a bit weird. I would probably agree with the reds - but the whites including nothing that I would drink at home ie NZ . And no Cloudy Bay which is probably the most recognized  NZ brand overseas  And yes we were sailing out of Australia so their wine list is fleet wide - which probably makes the procurement for some fringe countries more challenging 

They usually do have Cloudy Bay. And once, many years ago, for less than it cost in the local supermarket.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

They usually do have Cloudy Bay. And once, many years ago, for less than it cost in the local supermarket.

Definitely had Cloudy Bay the last time we were onboard. I used to alternate it with a Yealands but then Yealands appeared on the cabin drinks' list so it seemed silly  to order it for dinner too. Hopefully, it will still be on the wine list.

The most reported fire last summer was in the Var inland from St Tropez about 60 miles east of Marseilles towards the end of August. It's thought to have started from a discarded cigarette end at a motorway rest area. It decimated mainly scrub land including properties. I don't think there was much cultivated land involved. Not sure that we've had any spontaneous combustion. Normally fires in France are caused by someone's negligence. Growers complain about weather affecting the wine crop every year. Last year was the mildest summer since 2017 for us.

We do our main "good" wine shop each September at the local hypermarket's "Foire au Vins", when we buy great wines for about 50% of normal French prices. The only 2020 vintages bought last year were rosés. We'll find out in September if prices increase much. For reds and whites we wouldn't normally buy the latest vintages so won't notice weather related increases for a few years, and since most of them come from Bordeaux or Burgundy they're unlikely to be affected by fires.

Meantime we've not noticed recent increases in our daily drinking wines. 5 litre boxes of red and rosé, which taste better than many bottles, can be bought for 7€ to 8€ after taking all the loyalty discounts and cashbacks into account. Whites are slightly more expensive.

Maybe the French just up the prices for exports 😂.

I've said before, we feel totally spoiled here; we're currently sipping our Friday night Grand Marnier, which we stocked up on at the recent "Chandeleur" promotion at a net 9.58€ per bottle!

It's a shame the QM2 doesn't do it's round trip crossings from a Riviera port. We'd board with enough wine to do the full round trip.

We tend to stick to French wines and perhaps a few Spanish or Italian. Any New World wines I've tried in past tended to be "in your face" or "clogging" in taste, so I just stay clear of them now. I like to know how what I'm ordering should taste before it's served. I'm sure there are excellent wines from other countries but they're not readily available here and I don't know enough about them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

I think my son refrains from telling me about distressing events for obvious reasons.

You can keep yourself up to date if you want. Most news on var matin is available to non subscribers and you see the first few paragraphs of others. And france tv info gives a national view.

On Chrome you can right click and translate to English if you need it. Think Edge can do that too, and possibly some other browsers.

Most fires and floods affect folk in areas close to forest and scrub or water courses where there is a known fire or flood risk. If a residential property has been chosen making reference to the local risk plans there should be very little risk from natural disasters. There is a low seismic risk here but less so in Marseilles. But all modern residential property here is built from poured reinforced concrete and would easily survive the worst they've had in last few hundred years.

Edited by D&N
In case website names not permitted
  • Like 1

Paul and Carole Love to Travel site has listed a list of drink prices, admittedly on the Queen Elizabeth, which they posted a month ago.  They thought prices were expensive, but no more so than cost of drinks in London.  Hope thats helpful.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 10:05 PM, carolc00 said:

Paul and Carole Love to Travel site has listed a list of drink prices, admittedly on the Queen Elizabeth, which they posted a month ago.  They thought prices were expensive, but no more so than cost of drinks in London.  Hope thats helpful.

Great thank you for the information, perfect!