Testing question (please don't hang me out to dry)!

gigem_aggies

I have searched and searched, but haven't come up with any results.  If it's been asked and answered on this board, forgive me!  However, considering that the testing requirements just changed on March 1, I thought I'd ask here.

Does anyone know if the Rapid Id Now Diagnostic Test (this is the red dot test on the Walgreens site) is accepted by NCL?  It is for other cruise lines.

NCL only says "PCR or Antigen" test.  I called and the agent wasn't sure.  Other cruise lines give you an entire list of alllll the different kinds of tests that fall under PCR and Antigen.  

• Like 1

I had the same question and couldn't get a viable answer so decided not to chance it for next weeks trip so paid to purchase the telemedicine kits from Inspire just to be safe and sure...   The rapid ID is a NAAT test and technically so is a PCR but the PCR is a very specific type if Naat. 

This is what the site says:

At the time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party, via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/) or BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service (BioReference sends a qualified medical professional to you to conduct your test), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests must bring digital or printed proof of negative test results.

I think the main criteria is the test has to proctored or verified by a 3rd party.

• Like 2

The antigen test manufacturer itself does not matter.  What does matter is it must be a proctored test if done at home or one done at a test site.  At home tests that are not proctored are not accepted.

• Like 1

MOST IMPORTANT:

Guests must bring digital or printed proof of negative test results. Test results need to be in English and include the following information:

• Your name, which should match the name on your travel documents
  • Your date of birth
  • The result of the test
  • The date the test sample was collected
  • The name of the test provider
  • Confirmation of the type of test provided

If a vaccinated guest is unable to provide proof of a negative result at the time of embarkation, testing will be available at the terminal at the guests' expense (cost may vary depending on the port and the vendor).

23 minutes ago, gigem_aggies said:

I have searched and searched, but haven't come up with any results.  If it's been asked and answered on this board, forgive me!  However, considering that the testing requirements just changed on March 1, I thought I'd ask here.

Does anyone know if the Rapid Id Now Diagnostic Test (this is the red dot test on the Walgreens site) is accepted by NCL?  It is for other cruise lines.

NCL only says "PCR or Antigen" test.  I called and the agent wasn't sure.  Other cruise lines give you an entire list of all the different kinds of tests that fall under PCR and Antigen.  

NCL's site has embedded links for assorted vendors listed within their FAQs. (blue print vs black print)

3 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

NCL's site has embedded links for assorted vendors listed within their FAQs. (blue print vs black print)

Yes, but none of those are free.  Walgreens and CVS are free.  I've used both Walgreens and CVS for 5 different cruises since the restart on different cruise lines.

9 minutes ago, zzupschuck said:

The ID Now test is a PCR test.  It is accepted.  Going to Walgreens 2 weeks from today for my test...3/20 Breakaway Cruise.

Thank you.  That was what my internet research told me, but I looked back at our Walgreens testing email from a January cruise on a different line and it didn't say PCR anywhere on the results.  Which had me second guessing myself.  

And, we will be disembarking as you get onboard.  Happy sailing!

10 minutes ago, zzupschuck said:

The ID Now test is a PCR test.  It is accepted.  Going to Walgreens 2 weeks from today for my test...3/20 Breakaway Cruise.

Sorry to respectfully disagree a PCR test is a NAAT test a but a NAAT test is NOT necessarily as PCR test.   PSR is one specific type of NAAT test.  This is why Walgreens specifically offers both NAAT tests and PCR tests separately.   NCL specifically states Antigen or PCR, that mention nothing about a generic Naat test.   Can you please supply written information from NCL that tells us that generic NAAT tests (other then a PCR) willbe accepted?   I would love to see it once and for all.   No one is able to supply this from all the digging I have done.

NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:

• Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
  • Isothermal amplification including:
    • Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)
    • Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)
    • Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)
    • Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
    • Strand displacement amplification (SDA)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gigem_aggies said:

Thank you.  That was what my internet research told me, but I looked back at our Walgreens testing email from a January cruise on a different line and it didn't say PCR anywhere on the results.  Which had me second guessing myself.  

And, we will be disembarking as you get onboard.  Happy sailing!

Please see my reply to zzupschuck  A PCR test is a NAAT test but a NAAT test (ID now from Walgreens) absolutely is NOT a PCR test.   

44 minutes ago, gigem_aggies said:

NCL only says "PCR or Antigen" test.  I called and the agent wasn't sure.  Other cruise lines give you an entire list of alllll the different kinds of tests that fall under PCR and Antigen.  

It has to generate a report from a testing agency. If it just an at home test without proctor, no it does not qualify. NCL has two trustee vendors. We just did an Emed test at home and it was easy as can be. Report immediately emailed to me. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It has to generate a report from a testing agency. If it just an at home test without proctor, no it does not qualify. NCL has two trustee vendors. We just did an Emed test at home and it was easy as can be. Report immediately emailed to me. 

The question that this OP is asking is the NAAT (ID now) test administered by Walgreens (that provides a report from a testing agency) and you get results within 24 hrs acceptable.   NCL specifically states they accept Antigen and PCR tests and nothing about NAAT tests generically.   The tests at places like Walgreens and CVS are free using Emed or Inspire is not.  That is why the OP is asking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks for opening this topic i think a lot of us have the same questions at one time or another, and then mean to put up a thread,  sometimes it happens and sometimes life happens and we forget. I have been looking and it says "verified" my question is verified by whom. Do the tests given at walgeens and CVS meet the criteria above. ( name ,date, result , test, test date etc. ) This has become a cottage industry around LAX and for the service / location and appropriate documentation you pay a premium. It would be nice if the industry would be clear with instructions. I know changing environment ..... patient.... go with the flow. thankyou to all of you being forced to be our test cases and sharing your experiences with use. one thread somewhere on CC said that they found the same vendors as NCL and the test kits were a bit cheaper or  for some reason RCL was better. 

Just got back from testing at American Family Care.  That's a DocInaBox with locations in over 26 states and over 250 locations.  They have their own on-site lab.  No appointment needed.  No charge for testing.  The four of us walked in this morning about 0800 and had our written results and were on the way home 45 minutes later.  All four tested negative.  They provided written results which matched NCL's posted requirements.  

1 hour ago, gigem_aggies said:

Thanks very much for bringing this up... I did the Rapid ID Now Diagnostic Test for my MSC cruise last fall because someone on the MSC boards was good enough to post that that was the exact test he had done and it was accepted by MSC with no issue.

Hoping someone will do the same here for the Rapid ID Now Diagnostic Test after they've successfully boarded NCL.  I had hoped to do the same test for my upcoming NCL cruise.

Edited by lgdesign

I am currently booked and sailing on the Breakaway Sunday the 6th. I received my Covid Test today from Walgreens, Rapid Diagnostic Test (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test NAAT) is this acceptable for boarding

• Yes, as long as you did a testing that was medically supervised you would be fine.

•  
    If you did a at home test that you purchased that would not work
    Nestor

So, I had this chat with an NCL rep. Appears as long as it was a medically supervised test that will suffice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No personal experience with NCL and the NAAT tests, but it was good enough for Celebrity, Princess, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico.  All of which when testing list negative PCR or antigen tests.  The NAAT tests are essentially equivalent to a PCR.

• Like 1

Well, I'm glad I brought this up because it seems lots of folks have the same questions!

In my quest for more info, I did find this on a completely different and non-cruise affiliated website:

https://physiciansimmediatecare.com/clearing-up-the-confusion-on-types-of-covid-testing/

It specifically says:  If you do NOT have symptoms, but need testing for travel, work, school, etc., Physicians Immediate Care offers the Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 Rapid Molecular PCR test (This is a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test – NAAT) with results in under 15 minutes. We prefer this test due to its high accuracy and speed of results. Results are available in less than 15 minutes, making it the fastest rapid point of care molecular COVID-19 test. Walk-in or reserve your time online.

So, it references the Abbot ID Now as a Rapid PCR and that is the same test administered at Walgreens.  

But, I'm not a doctor so I have no idea.  

• Like 1

Below is a sample of one of the PCR test report issued by NYC's T&TC, an approved partner with the city's public Health & Hospital Corps, digital or electronically generated and uploaded, retrieved via secure email messaing in PDF format, same format is used for its Antigen Rapid Test.  PRL, I am fairly sure, isn't on NCL's list of (partially) accepted testing vendors but their testing services are recognized and accepted for other means of travel and the reporting format complied with most written requirement - it is free here in NYC, by appointment and/or lately, mostly on a walk-up basis, no wait and no lines, at mobile & pop-up locations as well as semi-permanent places, i.e. hospital & ambulatory clinic sites as rotated around.  

I have not seen the Walgreen or CVS generated report, but if they are basically identical and contained the necessary information, there is no reason for NCL to reject and not accept them.  Why not consider taking a free test ahead of your upcoming cruise, maybe 10 days or 2 weeks prior, just to establish a baseline and get familiar with the reporting steps and see how long it will take ... then, repeat at 48 hours or whatever.  

Here in the NYC area, CVS (and, most likely Walgreen) have plenty of next day appointment slots, drive-thru for PCR (results in 1-2 days) and walk-up for RA test (results within hours or same day), free and easy.  You can schedule, separately, to do both - just in case, the PCR is delayed.  

Official Lab Report for Covid-19 - Sample.jpg

I had an online 'chat' with our state Dept of Health about testing.  I asked what was available for same-day results for people traveling.  Here is what they texted me:

"There is a test called Abbott ID NOW Covid-19 rapid molecular test that offers results within 15 min-1 hour.  This test is not as accurate as a PCR test but it's very accurate".

I've decided this test will make me comfortable getting on the flight and will most likely be accepted by NCL.  (If not, we will pay for test at pier.)    I would hope that a result from a state DOH that includes all of the requirements would be accepted by whoever is checking your paperwork at the pier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Married90 said:

NAATs can use many different methods to amplify nucleic acids and detect the virus, including but not limited to:

• Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)
  • Isothermal amplification including:
    • Nicking endonuclease amplification reaction (NEAR)
    • Transcription mediated amplification (TMA)
    • Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)
    • Helicase-dependent amplification (HDA)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)
    • Strand displacement amplification (SDA)

Why are you telling us stuff that we already know?  This is pretty basic info.