Surprised no Fuel Surcharges

Guardsy

With oil going over $100 per barrel, I am glad to see the cruise lines not adding on their fuel surcharges of a few years ago.  I think those went into effect when oil went over $70 per barrel?

I'm sailing Saturday and looked thru the mouse print on my contract and find nothing in reference to a fuel surcharge.

I always thought that was there from years past but could not find it.

Has anyone else seen it?

(I know we are trying to find out who we can levy a fuel surcharge on for our gas to get us to the pier!)

Let's Go    !

Edited by GulfShoresCruiser

33 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Do they ever add a surcharge after your price is locked in through a booking? If you are past final payment, can they still charge you more?

Didn't they do that when they last implemented the fuel surcharge?  I have a vague memory of it being applied to all booked passengers, not just new bookings.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rdsqrl said:

Didn't they do that when they last implemented the fuel surcharge?  I have a vague memory of it being applied to all booked passengers, not just new bookings.  

Don’t know. Personally, I have never been assessed a post hoc fuel surcharge but I am not bold enough to think my experiences represent all experiences. 

It wouldn't shock me if they did. 

Any company that has been hit as hard as they have is looking to save even the smallest amount in any way they can.

Just look at all the recent cutbacks they've introduced since returning to sailing again. 

The class action suit in the 2007 time frame was that the charge was added to cruises after final payment.  Those charges were returned.  For a time, they could only impose the surcharge on new bookings, after the surcharge was implemented.  Now, ticket contract language allows them to add the charge even after final payment.

While cruise lines do use fuel futures to steady the swing of bunker prices, and there are some market factors that are somewhat unique the last couple of years, and looking ahead, unless crude rises over $140/barrel, I don't see a surcharge coming.  Fuel surcharges have been a fact of life in shipping for the last decade, at least.  It affects every consumer item that is shipped by sea (and 80+% of the world's economy is shipped by sea), but the consumer is never aware that the price increase they see at the register is caused by fuel surcharges.  Trucking and trains have used fuel surcharges as well, and I know that companies like Amazon have been hit with them by UPS, FEDEX, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The class action suit in the 2007 time frame was that the charge was added to cruises after final payment.  Those charges were returned.  For a time, they could only impose the surcharge on new bookings, after the surcharge was implemented.  Now, ticket contract language allows them to add the charge even after final payment.

While cruise lines do use fuel futures to steady the swing of bunker prices, and there are some market factors that are somewhat unique the last couple of years, and looking ahead, unless crude rises over $140/barrel, I don't see a surcharge coming.  Fuel surcharges have been a fact of life in shipping for the last decade, at least.  It affects every consumer item that is shipped by sea (and 80+% of the world's economy is shipped by sea), but the consumer is never aware that the price increase they see at the register is caused by fuel surcharges.  Trucking and trains have used fuel surcharges as well, and I know that companies like Amazon have been hit with them by UPS, FEDEX, etc.

Thanks. Can you show me the ticket contract language that allows for this.   Like other CC postersI have not found this language. 

• Like 1

This was in the quote from my OTA, but I could not find it anywhere on the Princess website:

At this time we can confirm the fare as listed, the total includes port taxes and Gov't fees. All cruise lines reserve the right to add a fuel supplement of up to $12 per guest per day on all guests if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65 per barrel. 

18 minutes ago, alanstarr said:

This was in the quote from my OTA, but I could not find it anywhere on the Princess website:

At this time we can confirm the fare as listed, the total includes port taxes and Gov't fees. All cruise lines reserve the right to add a fuel supplement of up to $12 per guest per day on all guests if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65 per barrel. 

That's not in my Princess contract nor is it in the fine print from my TA. 

• Like 1

There is this fine print in my TA agreement regarding air but nothing about cruise line fuel surcharges:

Airlines may add a fuel surcharge or other fee after an air ticket has been booked but prior to final payment. Once final payment for an air ticket has been made, only government-imposed taxes or fees may be added. 

12 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

Yes they did! I had a B2B2B booked and got hit with it.

1 minute ago, GulfShoresCruiser said:

Do you recall if it was in the fine print at the time?

No. That was the first time I remember it and remember the fine print being added. It was done after final payment. I remember going to the airport once and having to pay $10 to fly for the surcharge one time also.

My surcharge was not refunded by a class action lawsuit.