Live from the Sky March 12th Transatlantic

Rick&Jeannie

Thanks for doing this! I am at the airport now and ready to head to FLL. Looking forward to boarding on Saturday.

I woke up to the Princess email to fill out the PLF for the UK. Yuck! As I mentioned before, we were given the form with instructions on the Rotterdam in October. Maybe Princess realized what a mess this was and is hoping we all get it done prior to boarding. So I pulled out the computer and filled out the form- 5 pages when all done. Thanks to everyone with the tips on the roll call! You can do it on your phone but I am quicker with an actual keyboard.

Hope the Sky is ready for us. Anyone hear anything about the issues in St Marten yesterday? Hope all is well now.

We were notified by Princess last night about the need to fill out the UK Personal Locator Form along with the fact that we are going to have issues with internet service.  Here is an excerpt from that email:

Regarding internet service levels, as you may be aware, as a ship moves across the Atlantic its antennas routinely shift between satellites that cover specific regions of the globe, which can result in low to no connectivity.

Internet service will be available during your journey, but because there may be times when you may be unable to connect during your cruise we will refund the cost of pre-purchased MedallionNet® Wi-Fi packages as onboard credit. For guests who purchased Princess Plus, we will refund $10 USD per day as onboard credit, plus any pre-purchased MedallionNet device upgrades.

A lot of people on the roll call have been surprised by this.  This was the case on the Regal when it did its transatlantic coming to the US back in November.  After about one day after the Azores we were notified by a letter in our cabin that we would essentially have limited to no service until we got very close to Fort Lauderdale.  Since the Sky is basically doing the same route in reverse...we have the same issue.

So...don't expect a lot pf posts after about the first day until about day 6.  It *is* possible to get short messages out but I never had a lot of success with pictures back in November.  We'll do what we can, though!

• Like 1

Does anyone know which groups of cabins are being used on Sky Princess for isolating passengers who test positive for covid when on board ?

My reason for asking is I just read on P&O that they have moved some passengers from their booked cabins to less desirable ones because they are using some aft cabins for isolation.  We have booked aft cabins for 3 Princess cruises this year.

6 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

we will refund the cost of pre-purchased MedallionNet® Wi-Fi packages as onboard credit.

I just upgraded from the single device to the 4-device plan, given that it will refunded as OBC!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Does anyone know which groups of cabins are being used on Sky Princess for isolating passengers who test positive for covid when on board ?

My reason for asking is I just read on P&O that they have moved some passengers from their booked cabins to less desirable ones because they are using some aft cabins for isolation.  We have booked aft cabins for 3 Princess cruises this year.

There was a previous thread stating that someone lost their cabin on the Dolphin deck due to the need for isolation cabins. I don't recall where on that deck.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We were notified by Princess last night about the need to fill out the UK Personal Locator Form along with the fact that we are going to have issues with internet service.  Here is an excerpt from that email:

Regarding internet service levels, as you may be aware, as a ship moves across the Atlantic its antennas routinely shift between satellites that cover specific regions of the globe, which can result in low to no connectivity.

Internet service will be available during your journey, but because there may be times when you may be unable to connect during your cruise we will refund the cost of pre-purchased MedallionNet® Wi-Fi packages as onboard credit. For guests who purchased Princess Plus, we will refund $10 USD per day as onboard credit, plus any pre-purchased MedallionNet device upgrades.

A lot of people on the roll call have been surprised by this.  This was the case on the Regal when it did its transatlantic coming to the US back in November.  After about one day after the Azores we were notified by a letter in our cabin that we would essentially have limited to no service until we got very close to Fort Lauderdale.  Since the Sky is basically doing the same route in reverse...we have the same issue.

So...don't expect a lot pf posts after about the first day until about day 6.  It *is* possible to get short messages out but I never had a lot of success with pictures back in November.  We'll do what we can, though!

Interesting have done both a Trans-Atlantic, and a Trans-Pacific and never really experienced issues.  and those were over 3 years ago.  Watching this thread to see how things go.  Have a great Sail!

Cheers

30 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I read a post that it’s Deck 9 aft.  Dolphin deck.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:55 AM, GonzoWCS said:

Interesting have done both a Trans-Atlantic, and a Trans-Pacific and never really experienced issues.  and those were over 3 years ago.  Watching this thread to see how things go.  Have a great Sail!

Cheers

I think it depends on the path. I know when flying I also lose satellite connection at times.

36 minutes ago, antsp said:

The whole of Deck 9 is closed off 

We are deck 9 aft in August.

Although I am sympathetic to the situation and understand that they want the larger balconies for isolated people to enjoy, I would hope they would give us the heads up sooner rather than later in the hope that there might be a chance of having a better choice of cabin to switch to.

Does anyone know how far in advance they let you know of changes?

One technical comment ... one of the main engines had a problem with fuel injectors and / or fuel pump on Tuesday ... could only make 15 knots into St Maarten ... seems all resolved today ... we are making 18 knots at present.

Edited by NavArch64
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, alpha whiskey said:

We are deck 9 aft in August.

Although I am sympathetic to the situation and understand that they want the larger balconies for isolated people to enjoy, I would hope they would give us the heads up sooner rather than later in the hope that there might be a chance of having a better choice of cabin to switch to.

Does anyone know how far in advance they let you know of changes?

We are sailing on Sky Princess in April and have a Deck 9 Aft Cabin. We have not been notified of any changes but there are very few cabins currently showing as available to book. We chose this specific cabin over a year ago & will be very disappointed if we are moved at short notice.

14 minutes ago, Rubynic said:

We are sailing on Sky Princess in April and have a Deck 9 Aft Cabin. We have not been notified of any changes but there are very few cabins currently showing as available to book. We chose this specific cabin over a year ago & will be very disappointed if we are moved at short notice.

We are also on Sky in April, but deck 8. 

I will query our August deck 9 cabin then.

I would hope that if Princess are looking after their isolating customers  so well  with larger balcony cabins, that they also look after the folk that they are switching.

Of course I would prefer not to be moved, but would hope if we were shifted that we would get a decent choice and everyone can walk away happy 

On 3/8/2022 at 9:25 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I thought I would go ahead and get this started.  A lot of people seem to be very interested in the ports; especially Morocco.  As of right now...there is a lot of speculation that Morocco will not be open to us.  Ironic since the name of the cruise is "16-Day Moroccan Passage".

Sorry your flight was cancelled 

On 3/9/2022 at 1:59 PM, travelers07 said:

Thanks for doing this! I am at the airport now and ready to head to FLL. Looking forward to boarding on Saturday.

I woke up to the Princess email to fill out the PLF for the UK. Yuck! As I mentioned before, we were given the form with instructions on the Rotterdam in October. Maybe Princess realized what a mess this was and is hoping we all get it done prior to boarding. So I pulled out the computer and filled out the form- 5 pages when all done. Thanks to everyone with the tips on the roll call! You can do it on your phone but I am quicker with an actual keyboard.

Hope the Sky is ready for us. Anyone hear anything about the issues in St Marten yesterday? Hope all is well now.

Please can you continue the ‘live from’ - it is sad people have missed the cruise.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, db51 said:

Please can you continue the ‘live from’ - it is sad people have missed the cruise.

It may be difficult as there is very limited to no internet. Passengers have been given full refunds for the internet