BinaxNOW testing question

famof4togo

So FINALLY, our cruise is coming up next week, so I am getting all my ducks in a row...

We are taking the proctored BinaxNOW tests at home.  Do I need to schedule an appt with the proctor or can I just call at the time I would like to test?  Also, do we have to sit there live with the proctor while the test processes (15 Minutes?) or how does that work?  Any other helpful tips I need is appreciated!!! TIA

• Like 1

No, you don't need to schedule ahead of time (but you can create your account ahead of time if you want - see instructions on your box, but don't open it). 

You just log in when you are ready to test.  We have tested at all times of the day (from midnight to normal business hours) and we have never waited more than 2 minutes for a proctor to answer. 

No, the proctor does not stay present during the 15 minutes of processing (and you don't have to stay in front of the computer/phone either).  

It really is as quick/simple/easy as everyone raves about. 🙂

My only tip would be to watch a video online ahead of time of someone testing (there are tons of them on youtube).  I didn't do that, and it was slightly different than other home tests I'd done.  You don't need to (the proctor will walk you through everything) but I'm the type of person who likes to know exactly what to expect.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tacking on to this, if there are 4 of us, do I need to buy kits or just 2 with 2 in each.  I did a test run of ordering and it seems to imply that you need a kit for each person, like they tie the order to an individual is that correct?

3 minutes ago, MrPhil101 said:

Tacking on to this, if there are 4 of us, do I need to buy kits or just 2 with 2 in each.  I did a test run of ordering and it seems to imply that you need a kit for each person, like they tie the order to an individual is that correct?

When you buy the tests, they are not tied to anyone. When you are ready to take one of the tests, you will have to download the Navica app and sign up using a login & password, that's how they know it belongs to you. Each person has to do this.

• Like 3

When purchasing the tests online, you will be asked questions that might make it sound like the tests will be exclusively tied to the purchaser, but don't worry.  After the package(s) arrive and y'all are ready to test, each person will have to set up their own account (not a big deal, just follow directions on the box), and then that person can pick any of the individual test boxes (do NOT open until proctor directs you to) and will scan the QR code on the outside of that test box.  This is now the test box that will be tied to the owner of that current account.

Greatly encourage you to watch a few of the videos on YouTube, as others have advised.

Also, might be wise to buy a couple of extra tests.  Haven't heard stories lately, but in the past there were the occasional boxes that had empty solution bottles.  Without solution, you can't complete the test.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, nascartim said:

When you buy the tests, they are not tied to anyone. When you are ready to take one of the tests, you will have to download the Navica app and sign up using a login & password, that's how they know it belongs to you. Each person has to do this.

I would add that you might want an extra one or two on hand in case there's a problem with one of the test kits. I've heard that there have been occasionally issues with the test kits. Personally, we have used more than 15 of them with no issues other that the results not showing up in the app once, but we have always received a PDF in an email with the negative results.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MrPhil101 said:

These responses are really helpful, it's put my mind at ease, It's been close to 20 years since my last cruise , so all the new stuff+covid, has made it a learning experience.

During the 15 minutes, the test needs to lay flat and undisturbed on the table and the camera needs to remain focused on it. You are free to get up and do whatever you like during that time.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MrPhil101 said:

I opened my account in the Navica app and just added my wife and minor son as other users. We had to logout after each test.  All results were together on our cell phone, quicker to access at the port when checking in.

• Like 4

On Carnival covid thread #2, page 14 I believe, post #327

I detailed my experience taking at Home proctored Binax tests. I did watch two videos prior, it did help, plus my run thru on steps. . This link should work: 

Edited by Buffettfan 225
added link
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I watched YouTube videos,, and the test was just like that. Easy peasy. I stressed, so don’t stress. We downloaded to verifly and that was all we had to show at port. fyi, at Pt Canaveral they told us phones wouldn’t work inside so we were told to make sure it was up on the phone before entering. It was the easiest embar and debark we have ever had. Got to port a little after 11:00, no wait at all and right on ship. (Magic)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, d-train said:

Has anyone flown with these test kits?

we are extending our trip a week prior to boarding so we will 

need to bring the kits with us and do the test at the hotel. 

carry on. Or checked bags?

I just flew with these kits last week. I put them in my checked bag inside the box they were shipped in…I didn’t want them to get crushed and then have them tell me I couldn’t use the kit. I also did my test from the hotel room. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:16 AM, d-train said:

Has anyone flown with these test kits?

we are extending our trip a week prior to boarding so we will 

need to bring the kits with us and do the test at the hotel. 

carry on. Or checked bags?

I think it says to put in your carry on, so they aren't lost or get too cold in the luggage area. 

On 3/15/2022 at 11:51 AM, MTtraveler said:

I would add that you might want an extra one or two on hand in case there's a problem with one of the test kits. I've heard that there have been occasionally issues with the test kits. Personally, we have used more than 15 of them with no issues other that the results not showing up in the app once, but we have always received a PDF in an email with the negative results.

Good suggestion to have some extra kits. I watched a person on YouTube that I follow & he had the kit too close to the edge of the table & he accidentally knocked the kit off of the table so he had to start all over again. 

Tom😀

8 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I picked up 6, which just arrived last week. Expires 1/23.

Tom

Does anyone know if you can still buy a 2-pack anywhere? I only need 2, hate to waste the other 4. Emed site looks like they are only selling 6-packs. I was able to buy a 2-pack back in November.

16 minutes ago, RollingMeadows said:

@Tom-n-Cheryl Would that be the first of January or the 31st? I'll order two sets of kits. We'll just have to slip another cruise in by January. Thanks for the reply. 🙂

I can't recall - I'll take a look when I get home this afternoon.  

Tom

2 hours ago, loohoo1 said:

Does anyone know if you can still buy a 2-pack anywhere? I only need 2, hate to waste the other 4. Emed site looks like they are only selling 6-packs. I was able to buy a 2-pack back in November.

The Optum Store has 2-packs for $69.99 plus shipping. You can check out as a guest, so need need to create an account!  Yay for them!

• Like 1

Just now, momin05 said:

The Optum Store has 2-packs for $69.99 plus shipping. You can check out as a guest, so need need to create an account!  Yay for them!

This is where we bought our 2-pack without incident.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 12:51 PM, MrPhil101 said:

The emed proctored test only come with one test per box not two. Each person needs their own box since they will scan the QR code for each test on the outside of the box before they have you open the box in front of them (they are sealed with stickers).