Single cruisers

Megan_Strick

So I bit the bullet and booked a cruise as a solo cruiser. Please tell me I did the right thing? My husband doesn't care for cruising. He would go if I asked but he won't be any fun. I just hope I'm not lonely but I am excited to do what I want.

• Like 4

Leave him home and go have fun. There will be plenty of outgoing folks (singles, couples, groups) on board to socialize with if you're so inclined. You'll have a good time, stay positive and get out there and have some fun! I wouldn't even want to cruise with someone who doesn't enjoy cruising, they'd just be a drag the whole time, you're probably better off actually lol. Enjoy your cruise!   

• Like 2

I have been cruising solo since 2010, and dreading a bit sharing a cabin in Dec. with daughter and granddaughter. LOL 
I enjoy doing whatever I want, whenever I want, and if I don’t want to do anything I don’t have to. I’m sort of an introvert/extrovert, and I enjoy chatting with a person or 2 at a time, but get anxiety in big groups. So cruising solo is perfect for me. I can control my atmosphere.

I think you will get spoiled and this won’t be your only solo cruise.

• Like 6

Thanks everyone. That makes me feel much better. I never get to do things like Chef's table. My 49 year old husband has the palate of a 5 year old! I'm excited to do that, get a massage (which I usually do anyway), and just do what I want. 

• Like 8

Solo is awesome - so much less stressful.   I'm going on Vista Saturday and there is alot of solo cruisers in our facebook group - so plenty of people to hang out with IF i want to, or i can just do my own thing.  

You will love cruising solo!!

• Like 1

I used to travel solo all the time, until my sister retired, moved in with me…. I loved showing her my world, but she passed in Jan, so now I am back to going solo.  Many years ago, in my 20’s, a cousin asked me how I could travel alone.  I told her it is 100% better than not going at all.  EM

• Like 7

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I have been cruising solo since 2010, and dreading a bit sharing a cabin in Dec. with daughter and granddaughter. LOL 
I enjoy doing whatever I want, whenever I want, and if I don’t want to do anything I don’t have to. I’m sort of an introvert/extrovert, and I enjoy chatting with a person or 2 at a time, but get anxiety in big groups. So cruising solo is perfect for me. I can control my atmosphere.

I think you will get spoiled and this won’t be your only solo cruise.

This is completely me! I don’t do well in large groups, but have no problem cruising solo. I can sit at an activity or at a bar like Alchemy and chat with just a few people.  I cruised many times as a couple, so when I ended up single I refused to stop cruising. It was a nice change of pace to eat, sleep, drink, etc when YOU wanted and with no one else to worry about. 

I remarried in January and we took a cruise for our honeymoon (his first!) but wouldn’t hesitate to cruise solo again. 

• Like 1

I am also going solo on the Vista from April 2nd to 9th, wifey couldn't go and she isn't so fond to the ocean so she told me to tag along with my parents and uncle. But I count it as a solo cause before I got married I always went with my parents but was never with them only during the ports but in the ship I was by myself. Can't wait! I love my wifey so much but I need my cruises! 

13 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I used to travel solo all the time, until my sister retired, moved in with me…. I loved showing her my world, but she passed in Jan, so now I am back to going solo.  Many years ago, in my 20’s, a cousin asked me how I could travel alone.  I told her it is 100% better than not going at all.  EM

I see you are from Coastal Ga. I am too! I live in Brunswick,

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sthrnbll said:

So I bit the bullet and booked a cruise as a solo cruiser. Please tell me I did the right thing? My husband doesn't care for cruising. He would go if I asked but he won't be any fun. I just hope I'm not lonely but I am excited to do what I want.

GOOD FOR YOU!! I just experienced my first solo cruise in February, and I loved every minute of it. At any given time, I was able to do exactly what I wanted. Plus, people on Carnival are always so willing to chat with strangers, so I never felt lonely. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

• Like 1

Hi

I too have gone on and enjoyed solo cruises. For sure I agree with the statement that you are only alone if you want it that way. I had always met wonderful people onboard as well as trough cruising groups on other websites. 

My only thought in regards to solo cruising and Carnival, is that they rarely if ever give solo cruisers a break. There are many other cruise lines which don't always charge double for booking a cabin alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I too have gone on and enjoyed solo cruises. For sure I agree with the statement that you are only alone if you want it that way. I had always met wonderful people onboard as well as trough cruising groups on other websites. 

My only thought in regards to solo cruising and Carnival, is that they rarely if ever give solo cruisers a break. There are many other cruise lines which don't always charge double for booking a cabin alone.

I look at it this way. I base it as a daily charge and not being charged double. What would I pay for a land vacation hotel per night, 3 or more meals a days (and not as good), and entertainment ( which would be minimal). Rarely would I ever find a daily rate less than what I pay solo on a cruise ship. I prefer RCI as a solo, because I get 2 points a night (in a double occupancy cabin) and that adds up quickly to my goal of 340, which then will get me a discount as a solo.

Edited by crzndeb

4 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I ended up on NCL after 20 cruises on Carnival because they were far cheaper for a solo cruise. I’ve sailed solo on both lines now and there are things I like and don’t like about both.  Carnival almost never discounts for a solo. NCL has studio cabins on some ships and sometimes has a reduced solo supplement. They also usually have a solo host and meetups where they will arrange group dinner and show seatings, and even sometimes activities or excursions. Recently their pricing has been crazy expensive overall on NCL and I’m back to Carnival for my next cruise, albeit as a couple. 

On 3/25/2022 at 6:35 PM, vacruizer said:

I ended up on NCL after 20 cruises on Carnival because they were far cheaper for a solo cruise. I’ve sailed solo on both lines now and there are things I like and don’t like about both.  Carnival almost never discounts for a solo. NCL has studio cabins on some ships and sometimes has a reduced solo supplement. They also usually have a solo host and meetups where they will arrange group dinner and show seatings, and even sometimes activities or excursions. Recently their pricing has been crazy expensive overall on NCL and I’m back to Carnival for my next cruise, albeit as a couple. 

Thank you! I will look in to NCL. I chose this specific cruise because Jacksonville is only 1 hour from my house so my hubby can drop me off and pick me up. I HATE driving. Typically, I leave from Port Canaveral. 

• Like 1

NCL even lets you search for cruises with a "Solo Discount", which means some amount less than full price of 2 people.  Not all cruises and/or dates have a discount available.  And the discount amount varies widely.

After you do an initial search for cruises on their website, a "More Filters" link will appear in the search criteria area.  Open that up and you can specify only 1 person sailing and then a check box for "Solo Cruiser Discount" will become selectable.  

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

NCL even lets you search for cruises with a "Solo Discount", which means some amount less than full price of 2 people.  Not all cruises and/or dates have a discount available.  And the discount amount varies widely.

After you do an initial search for cruises on their website, a "More Filters" link will appear in the search criteria area.  Open that up and you can specify only 1 person sailing and then a check box for "Solo Cruiser Discount" will become selectable.  

Thank you!!

On 3/24/2022 at 2:39 PM, sthrnbll said:

take a couple of good books, to read as well as a journal.  Also some adult coloring books too.

I travel solo most of the time.  Why because I am a person who like to see other places.

When I am too ill or near death, I do not want to have any regrets.

You might be surprised how much fun you will have on your own and not having to make decisions and change plans to suit the other person.

But,  do bring a nice gift home for your hubby and show him lots of nice photos of food, ship artwork, ports of call etc etc.    I find that a least the crew lot to talk to solo people as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhotoMike said:

I have a question: When you cruise solo, do they charge gratuities for just 1 person, or do they still consider it "double occupancy"?

You only pay for 1. If you dirty the cabin enough for 2, you may want to give your steward a little extra.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1