Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

To the author/ op-

i have read all the pages of this post.

I know you have been frustrated by this whole entire scenario ,but you said you only tried the first two days ( what happened to day 3 or 4,etc. )to get a hold of the Princess care team ,you’ve just been pretty much posting on here I believe. So....

Totally agree you should’ve been contacted by Princess,but as you’ve been posting all along that has not happened ,so sometimes we have to be proactive for our self and take the suggestions that cruisers have given you ,including a phone number to Princess cares and other information. 

Many on this post have offered to help you.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 3

As I recall, when the US government sent a plane to evacuate passengers from the Diamond Princess back in 2020, both Covid positive passengers and non-positive passengers were ushered onto the same plane, with the infected passengers moved to the rear.

I recall the uproar back then when that hit the news, but there has never been any follow-up regarding whether the non-positive passengers that shared the plane with the positive passengers later caught Covid.

1 hour ago, Optotronics said:

My wife is coughing up the crud now and says she thinks she has it now too….. no matter, we plan on being on the plane tomorrow with our n95 masks.

Oh man... and this is how Covid keeps circulating round and around.

Folks driving you to airport, at check in, at gate, and inside airplane thank you so much (sad face)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, dog said:

There is your answer—-/ travel insurance. Did you purchase it?  Call  them immediately.

I called them on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The claim is filed with this is all over and maybe weeks or months after that and this this is alll on us until/ if payback is given. We are on a budget and only order the 1st class return befor our cruise because it was only $100 more and we could get an extra bag and weight for free and fill another bucket list item on our 20rh anniversary by sitting in first class. The rescheduled flight cost our card $ 1000 more, room at least 1300 more, food so far close to 500. The 5 days of last minute care of our pets who knows the added cost, plus 5 more days airport parking and 5 days no income for us either.

we saved for years for this trip.

6 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Folks driving you to airport, at check in, at gate, and inside airplane thank you so much (sad face)

The couple who we met on the cruise a live local who also got Covid are picking us up and taking us to the airport.

Edited by Optotronics
Spell check

12 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

I agree.

we were not selfish, but everyone has their limits. The selfish are those going around onboard in side without masks, flying and taking masks off. Princess for removing precautions and not enforcing smoking and mask requirements.

the best advice I can give is to get n95 mask without a vent for your flight and don’t take it off to eat or drink because others will be.

You are being selfish. You want to blame everyone else.  You have not answered the question. DO YOU HAVE TRAVEL INSURANCE?  If you did it would solve most of your problems. We are currently doing a land vacation. Been in Barbados for two months. We have insurance that would cover all expenses should we get Covid and need to stay here longer. I can’t control what everyone around me does but since decided to travel I controlled what I could with my travel insurance. 

Edited by dstables
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

And how about a guest staying at the same hotel that has no idea that there are passengers from a ship suppose to be isolating/quarantining in their hotel room but instead they were wandering the lobby even though they’ve tested negative but their traveling partner has tested positive. Or as the author/OP has said his wife was either in the lobby or getting ice and she saw a passenger from their ship and had a discussion -he was from Canada and he was there apparently  by himself and he was wandering around the hotel because they were changing his hotel room because his TV didn’t work. And apparently he tested positive and has to stay at that hotel for 10 days. So how many people were doing the same thing at that hotel?? How did this man encounter the Authors wife? Did he take an elevator? Was he around other people in the lobby or the ice machine or wherever he was. Can’t make this stuff up .Op/ author posted right on here .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

This is so true.  After developing a headache and slight cough on the flight home from our recent cruise on the Grand, and then a sore throat the next day, I tested positive.  My husband tested negative that day but positive two days later.  I feel awful thinking that we inadvertently exposed other passengers.  I also think about the woman sitting at the table next to us the morning of disembarkation who sounded stuffy and hoarse and mentioned she had "a cold."  She was a spreader, too...and so it goes.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Agree.....unfortunately many passengers are probably going to suffer because Princess is putting them at risk when it is unnecessary.  Princess knows how disease on a ship works and they are kidding themselves on dropping Covid protocols.  We just canceled a cruise we were going on in two weeks because of these posts that sick passengers have been sharing on CC and we just do not want to take the chance of experiencing a costly ordeal with Covid.

and having that CHOICE is a beautiful thing...

• Like 1

I’m sure as a responsible traveler you have travel insurance.  Especially during Covid times.  Submit your claim and move on.

Now, you will be irresponsible and get on a flight without testing again or testing your sick spouse.  BUT it’s all Princess’ fault.

I was on your side until you wrote that…..and once you did it made me doubt everything.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dstables said:

You are being selfish. You want to blame everyone else.  You have not answered the question. DO YOU HAVE TRAVEL INSURANCE?  If you did it would solve most of your problems. We are currently doing a land vacation. Been in Barbados for two months. We have insurance that would cover all expenses should we get Covid and need to stay here longer. I can’t control what everyone around me does but since decided to travel I controlled what I could with my travel insurance. 

Reed all the posts, we have insurance.

we are not the selfish or irresponsible ones. This that were onboard the cruise then or even now and not reporti g for fear of going to the aloha Covid warehousing are the irresponsible ones along with those who say already got and are immune. There’s enough fault for the whole community and I can guarantee that princess was the most so for dropping all precautions on our cruise for some reason. Had we known the day before going on the cruise that they would drop all this we would have canceled even if it cost us as it’s costing us a lot more now even with insurance.

Just now, Wavesprite said:

I’m sure as a responsible traveler you have travel insurance.  Especially during Covid times.  Submit your claim and move on.

Now, you will be irresponsible and get on a flight without testing again or testing your sick spouse.  BUT it’s all Princess’ fault.

I was on your side until you wrote that…..and once you did it made me doubt everything.

I have been following this thread since the beginning and posting and nothing seemed right from the beginning  To me

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

The situation @Optotronicsfaces illustrates the dilemma we face as a society regarding Covid.

Should all the burden be placed on them because they drew the short straw and caught Covid?  Is it reasonable to expect them to stay in a quarantine hotel for weeks without any financial support?

I don't know the answer, but I personally will not be so quick to judge someone else's actions until I've walked a mile in their shoes.

For me personally, The burden of planning ahead when going on a cruise of the possibility that you may get Covid and may need to isolate and may need extra money/time to recover  (including change of flights, lost wages) rests on the person planning to cruise. 

• Like 6

The hotel already has non Clovid guests on our floor. If either of us have bad coughing tomorrow or fever we won’t board the plane and will call to see if they can pay in advance for us to stay longer because we can’t afford to do so or pay more last mintute charge fees. With bills from home coming and being paid on our card, we can’t do more except to try and keep us as safe as we can given the circumstances.

• Like 1

OP - No one will agree that your course of action tomorrow will be appropriate.  Many including you can blame your whole situation on Princess.  But multiple wrongs, including your plans going forward, do not make a right.  No I'm not in your shoes.  Outside of what you are going to do about getting home tomorrow, I would suggest that you stop responding to this thread and you're only fanning the flames and will never convince anyone that what you are doing is the correct course of action.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lyannea said:

For me personally, The burden of planning ahead when going on a cruise of the possibility that you may get Covid and may need to isolate and may need extra money/time to recover  (including change of flights, lost wages) rests on the person planning to cruise. 

That was what insurance was for, but we were less than informed by the sudden changes princess made in precruise testing, along with fact we knew 2 weeks ahead that the ship was only half full and not telling us up front that they had an ongoing Covid deck with Covid positive people staying onboard….

we can’t plan for what we are not made aware of. My wife even brought a rapid Covid test from home when I told her we would be getting several along the way.

she felt a sore throat a few days in and tested negative. I didn’t mine as we were tight on space and I “knew” princess would test at the port and again a few days in like they did on the previous cruises.

enough said!

• Like 1

Just now, Optotronics said:

That was what insurance was for, but we were less than informed by the sudden changes princess made in precruise testing, along with fact we knew 2 weeks ahead that the ship was only half full and not telling us up front that they had an ongoing Covid deck with Covid positive people staying onboard….

we can’t plan for what we are not made aware of. My wife even brought a rapid Covid test from home when I told her we would be getting several along the way.

she felt a sore throat a few days in and tested negative. I didn’t mine as we were tight on space and I “knew” princess would test at the port and again a few days in like they did on the previous cruises.

enough said!

I do hope princess reads this and does PCR Testing on everyone before they get off in hawaii

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m going to go ahead and lock this thread as it has turned into a lot of bickering. Feelings are very raw for the OP and I hope they feel better soon and get home safely. 

Just in case a new cruiser is reading, I do want to point out that Princess has not dropped all covid precautions. This cruise did require proof of vaccine as well as a negative covid test. As Hawaii dropped their travel requirements, no further tests are required prior to the cruise ships coming into port. You can still wear a mask at all times if you chose to. 

it’s still a strange time and everyone has to decide what they are comfortable doing in regards to cruising. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13