Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

I sure wish they wouldn’t have dropped the PCR test before embarkation and testing 2 days before the Panama Canal.

noticed 2 days ago that there was a lot of  dry coughing going around.

captain just came on and announced that N95 mask must be worn at all times.

he also said that they would give everyone $25 non refundable credit?

how can we spend it if we want to stay safe from Covid?

also looks like no credit being given for missing Nicaragua?

our neighbors toilet has broken 5 times with feces flooding (not their own). Ours and a portion of our floor was without toilets the other day.

we were about to go down for lobster on our last formal night, now I guess I’ll get a hamburger delivered:(

Edited by Optotronics
Added more
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

I sure wish they wouldn’t have dropped the PCR test before embarkation and testing 2 days before the Panama Canal.

our neighbors toilet has broken 5 times with feces flooding (not their own). Ours and a portion of our floor was without toilets the other day.

we were about to go down for lobster on our last formal night, now I guess I’ll get a hamburger delivered:(

Hope they keep the passengers really informed and you are able to stay safe.  I agree that lessening the Covid protocols are probably only going to contribute to more of these type of situations on longer cruises.

• Like 4

We were given $11 each for missing Nicaragua on our cruise end of February.

So sorry to hear what you are going through ,we had Toilet troubles ,my main concern was how much rust and repairs needed doing on the ship.

In Cartagena Disney Wonder was having her spotless hull painted while docked. Poor Ruby's hull was covered in rust and tire marks.

I cleaned my own glass on the balcony ...cruise was wonderful staff were wonderful .

54 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

I wonder  if they will deliver the lobster dinner if you ask for it?

• Like 1

Just now, Optotronics said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

well first of all I knew this was coming!! We are also on board. Never have been on Princess and it will be our last. We were in Oceania doing a 17 day cruise on 2/19-3/8. We were tested at the pier prior to boarding as well as 2 times on cruise. We so enjoyed the cruise as well as being tested when we got off!!Stayed in FLL 3/8-8-12 and took our proctoring test! Negative! Went to Pier thought we would be tested prior to boarding and the answer was no Don’t need too! (Really!)

no testing doing Panama Cruise and so lax on everything! I am a retired DDS and just saw too many wrong things on this cruise. We always kept our n95 masks on inside and when dining it was room service or we would venture way into back of their lido to eat. It was a cornucopia to almost everyone like hurray life is good! We were asked why wearing masks? Husband said we chose too! They laughed! I started noticing the coughs where half of the people would not cover their faces at all !! It started after our canal crossing!!

the lido! Awful. You served yourself and nothing in our eyes were right. We are HAL and Oceania cruisers and we were hoping this would of been a nice cruise home! The only reason we did this was it worked for us to head back to San Diego after 1 1/2 months! Do not get on me for such a negative response. It is what it is. I hope the people on board who tested positive will be in good hands. This is a on going endemic problem and I wished protocol’s were upheld at the beginning and the outcome right now would be better. I have friends on Nieuw Statendam where they also just were tested on board during their cruise who tested positive! Masks are important!

Please stay safe everyone. The stewards are wonderful and made our cruise good because of them!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

@DeeniEncinitasthank you for taking time to post your experience.  I’ve sailed 35 days on the Ruby since November but not since they dropped the mask requirements.  It is so sad to see this happening.  The crew is just so wonderful and I do hope they have been able to safe and healthy. 

I am due to board April 23rd and would love it if 95 masks were mandatory again. I had already planned on wearing mine indoors and was on the fence about whether or not to eat in the MDR. 

I hope you continue to stay healthy. I would greatly appreciate if you and others on board would keep us informed as to how this all develops. 

• Like 7

Just now, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@DeeniEncinitasthank you for taking time to post your experience.  I’ve sailed 35 days on the Ruby since November but not since they dropped the mask requirements.  It is so sad to see this happening.  The crew is just so wonderful and I do hope they have been able to safe and healthy. 

I am due to board April 23rd and would love it if 95 masks were mandatory again. I had already planned on wearing mine indoors and was on the fence about whether or not to eat in the MDR. 

I hope you continue to stay healthy. I would greatly appreciate if you and others on board would keep us informed as to how this all develops. 

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

I promise I will!! There are passengers still laughing going down the halls saying I am not wearing my mask! Our steward just knocked on our door to give me luggage tags and said he was sorry 😞 I told him sorry for what? You did not change the protocols and you always wore your masks and took good care of us! That is when the people went by laughing ! This is to me shows only that the CEO and everyone at Carnival is about making the money and doing all the short cuts!!

Remember this is my first impression of Princess and it has left a bad impression. I would not be so negative if again protocols were in place and even with a few cases I would know things are in control. Receiving a piece of paper with the announcement with 2 KN95  masks won’t help! 
the day we got to our stateroom we received a package of cheap surgical masks 2 ply!!Remember I would wear surgical masks at my office and they were 3 ply at the time! So again sorry for such a long story I just pray there are not a lot more people and we can dock in San Francisco

• Like 14

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Wow I’m sorry to hear that. Please let us know what steps are taken to control this outbreak. I do hope you stay healthy. 

They are giving us N95 masks. They had given use medical masks when we embarked, now the N95 is given out.

captain gave the order of using n95 at all times and everywhere. We are going to just stay In our cabin and try to stay safe until we get off in San Francisco.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

I wonder  if they will deliver the lobster dinner if you ask for it?

I asked on the “crew chat” they said call room service to see what was available and I asked and was told only normal delivery items, nothing from the dining room, so no lobster for us, unless we want to risk Covid around everyone eating. What a nightmare!

they really blew it this time.

• Like 3

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Was informed by guest services no room service on disembarkation due to circumstances!!!  Only Horizons open 6-9!  I called to ask. Glad to be going home and I hope 🤞 all will enjoy a good cruise to Hawaii! That will be a wonderful cruise! 🌺Mahalo 

• Like 1

1500  ~=50% capacity, and they got a problem.

if there was no testing then probably symptomatic reporting themselves(how many would not have bothered) has triggered alert status.

With ships reported be going up to 80% capacity  does make you wonder if there needs to be more social measures rather than fewer.

• Like 9

Sadly, this surprises me none at all.  This was the first cruise without masks, and with self service in the Buffett. I know of no other Princess ship that has become that lenient.  It’s obvious that mask wearing still serves an important purpose in a close cruise ship environment. Next cruise adds 1000 people. I certainly hope masks will be required. I was planning to wear mine regardless of Princess rules, but know I will be even safer if others wear theirs, too. 

• Like 23

I was due to be on the Ruby mid-April, now I'm glad I cancelled, concerning to me. 

Traveling alone, I worry about having to quarantine, staying in a hotel somewhere for days on end, strange city, the expense, paying so much for a cruise then not being able to leave the cabin.  It would be upsetting.

Edited by susancruzs
  • Like 3

Thinking I'm blessed I don't have to take a flight out of SFO Sunday afternoon. Can picture everyone getting off the ship and jumping on planes in every direction just trying to get home after possible exposure.

I have a golfing Buddy and his wife on this cruise. Waiting until 6:00am to text him and see what their experience is like so far. We were texting last week, and he mentioned how hot and humid it was so most passengers were staying inside the public areas of ship.... we shall see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Sadly, this surprises me none at all.  This was the first cruise without masks, and with self service in the Buffett. I know of no other Princess ship that has become that lenient.  It’s obvious that mask wearing still serves an important purpose in a close cruise ship environment. Next cruise adds 1000 people. I certainly hope masks will be required. I was planning to wear mine regardless of Princess rules, but know I will be even safer if others wear theirs, too. 

I respect varying opinions but I REALLY hope the mask requirement is not reinstated, at least for the shorter cruises (7 days or less). Vaccine and booster requirement, testing requirement, no self serve buffet....all good. Sailed Enchanted on a 10 day on Nov/Dec  with masks and sailed in March on Regal without. I was never once concerned when on Regal. We are sailing to Alaska in May and if there is an N95 at all times mandate I will not be a happy cruiser.

• Like 9

Well I am on the next sailing of the Ruby Princess, not the news I wanted to wake up to!  

Don’t mind masking but no chance I can find any KN95 now before flying this morning.

Hopefully the increased numbers on the March 27th sailing won’t be a huge mistake by Princess.  I realized we need to get back to “normal” but it should be a slower process and perhaps not in conjunction with no masks and the return of self serve buffets.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, MsDolly said:

Well I am on the next sailing of the Ruby Princess, not the news I wanted to wake up to!  

Don’t mind masking but no chance I can find any KN95 now before flying this morning.

Hopefully the increased numbers on the March 27th sailing won’t be a huge mistake by Princess.  I realized we need to get back to “normal” but it should be a slower process and perhaps not in conjunction with no masks and the return of self serve buffets.

You may have two KN95s in your room when you board (we did on the Majestic last week) and we asked our Steward for a few more (no problem he had them with him).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Was informed by guest services no room service on disembarkation due to circumstances!!!  Only Horizons open 6-9!  I called to ask. Glad to be going home and I hope 🤞 all will enjoy a good cruise to Hawaii! That will be a wonderful cruise! 🌺Mahalo 

Room service is typically not available on disembarkation day for all Princess cruises.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

I have a golfing Buddy and his wife on this cruise. Waiting until 6:00am to text him and see what their experience is like so far...

Just got a text back from him.

He said an announcement was made last night that some passengers and crew had Covid symptoms, and everyone must wear masks outside their cabin. He also heard from a crew member that many entertainers caught Covid during their stop in Costa Rica (who knows how true this might be). 

He said he had worn his mask the whole trip. He said many passengers also did while many did not.

Nobody is going to know all the facts or numbers with this one

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Just got a text back from him.

He said an announcement was made last night that some passengers and crew had Covid symptoms, and everyone must wear masks outside their cabin. He also heard from a crew member that many entertainers caught Covid during their stop in Costa Rica (who knows how true this might be). 

He said he had worn his mask the whole trip. He said many passengers also did while many did not.

Nobody is going to know all the facts or numbers with this one

Thanks for the update.  If you hear anything else we should know, would you mind bringing it to our attention.  Scary times again, unfortunately.

• Like 1

I went to feeling fine when the captain made his announcement to having chills around 11pm. Just woke up to the worst chills and sore throat I’ve had since I was a kid. Wife says she’s not doing any better. Going to call medical for a test.

we had plans to stay a night on fisherman’s wharf before flying home, do they even let you fly home with active Covid?

this was a major mistake.

all the pieces fit now. We went to the show about 4-5 days ago and you could tell that they had just grabbed a regular crew member to fill in and was terrible.

then on Cabo we where put right next to each other in the theater to wait for our tender and many not wearing masks and lots of coughs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6