Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

1 hour ago, Optotronics said:

I hope they let us quarantine in our own hotel

In our situation in Ft Lauderdale, there were only a few hotels that would take covid positive passengers.  The ship will let you know what hotel options you have.  The ship will make the transportation arrangements to the hotel (and they pay for that ride).

So sorry to hear that you have to go through this experience.  Feel better...

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nini said:

The OP said as quoted below:

"I sure wish they wouldn’t have dropped the PCR test before embarkation and testing 2 days before the Panama Canal."

I was surprised that there was no testing before embarkation.

I don’t quite understand that.

is the Covid antigen test required for all sailings for Princess at embarkation?

7 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

We did, but of course not everyone did and there was no enforment in tight spaces like the theater.

what is the timeframe from catching to showing symptoms? It’s possible we were all walking around 4 days ago spreading it.

Yes, could be anywhere from a few days to a week. I'd imagine the packed tight spaces is the likely culprit. It's airborne. Hope you feel better! 

• Like 1

I think this is a big one.

just went to use the bathroom in our quarantine cabin and lifted the toilet led to find it full of diarea, it did flush though.

very disgusting. The shower gel was completely empty… so I think they are scrambling to find rooms. Just glad we have a window still for the last day of or 30th anniversary cruise

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

just went to use the bathroom in our quarantine cabin and lifted the toilet led to find it full of diarea, it did flush though.

very disgusting. The shower gel was completely empty… so I think they are scrambling to find rooms. Just glad we have a window still for the last day of or 30th anniversary cruise

It is awful what you are going through!  I am glad this is your last day on the ship.  Is it possible for you to rent a car and drive home?

24 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

We did, but of course not everyone did and there was no enforment in tight spaces like the theater.

what is the timeframe from catching to showing symptoms? It’s possible we were all walking around 4 days ago spreading it.

Hope you feel better soon. At least you are in the last part of your voyage and don't have to endure days of isolation on the ship. 

32 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

I don't think that the ship gives you meds  to help reduce the symptoms.

We are  leaving on the Discovery tomorrow. I have packed Robitussin DM, Zertec, Tylenol, etc.In case we get sick. I don't think the medical center has those items. People posting on Cruise Critic that had been in isolation mentioned no meds given to them.

We have zyrtec at home.  What does it do for illness?  

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Why not just skip cruising then? Vote with your wallet. Everyone knows the score and current conditions. If you're uncomfortable with masks policy, wear one/two or don't simply go. Choice is a good thing, exercise it. If they reinstate the masks (that the overwhelming majority of cruisers don't like) there will be loads of cancellations and empty ships. While that may make some all to happy, after that comes bankruptcy and no cruises for anyone. 

I agree. It's why I can't cruise now or for the foreseeable future. Not until the risk of contracting COVID on a cruise is around the same as the flu.

It seems to me that things were going in the right direction with pre-embarkation tests and mask wearing indoors. Abandoning these practices makes no sense to me. I don't think anyone likes wearing a mask, but surely doing so does not outweigh the pleasure of cruising. And I would argue as many will refrain from cruising if mask wearing is not required as would refrain because mask wearing is required.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

My goodness, you would have been safer staying in your own cabin. No one cleaned that one. Wonder what happened to the last occupant. That person couldn't have been well given the deposit in the toilet.I would demand a thorough cleaning right now. So sorry for your experience.

Don't worry about long term problems after you recover. This is a much milder strain. From personal experience (in January), I recovered with no ill affects afterwards. Being fully vaccinated and booster really does keep us safe from very awful   sickness.

• Like 2

Just now, broberts said:

I agree. It's why I can't cruise now or for the foreseeable future. Not until the risk of contracting COVID on a cruise is around the same as the flu.

It seems to me that things were going in the right direction with pre-embarkation tests and mask wearing indoors. Abandoning these practices makes no sense to me. I don't think anyone likes wearing a mask, but surely doing so does not outweigh the pleasure of cruising. And I would argue as many will refrain from cruising if mask wearing is not required as would refrain because mask wearing is required.

The risk is there but low, it will never be risk free as long as covid is around (which it will be for the foreseeable future, maybe forever). Booking numbers shot up dramatically when masks were eliminated. I don't see the lines reversing course but people can certainly wear a mask if it makes them more comfortable. N95's are readily available for free around the country at drug stores. Hope you feel comfortable cruising in the near future and enjoy other vacation options until that time.    

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, broberts said:

The cruises we took earlier in the year we felt relatively safe because Princess really seemed committed to promoting safe cruising and as far as we know the two cruises we were on were Covid free.  

Because of that we went ahead and booked more cruises because we thought those policies would remain in effect probably for most of the year.  Now we are worried because we know that what Princess is doing seems not to be working and the cases onboard are being kept fairly secret.  

We have a TA coming up that we are not able to cancel without major penalties even though their policy makes it sound like it should be a breeze.  We are concerned and are not going to like being on a ship wondering are we/they sick for the whole cruise.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 6

My guess is the cruise lines will no longer allow B2B's.  Ignorance is bliss and not numbers they need to report, you know.  Or, pick up expenses of quarantine on land, etc.  JMO.  In reading most of the cruise line boards here on CC, many cases of COVID are found while doing the B2B testing.   How long can the cruise lines afford to provide quarantine hotel, expenses, etc?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

We are sailing to Alaska in May and if there is an N95 at all times mandate I will not be a happy cruiser.

But you will have a much better chance of avoiding catching the virus that causes Covid-19.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Not sure if they would pay for a rental car or not. Those are really pricy right now and I’m not feeling well enough to drive to Colorado.

im getting worse now and can’t hear anything but ringing. Going to see if doctor can give me something for high anxiety. Been taking Zyrtec all along to prevent allergies.

hindsight is so 20/20. No wonder I haven’t felt like drinking since Costa Rica

2 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

Not sure if they would pay for a rental car or not. Those are really pricy right now and I’m not feeling well enough to drive to Colorado.

im getting worse now and can’t hear anything but ringing. Going to see if doctor can give me something for high anxiety. Been taking Zyrtec all along to prevent allergies.

Take this seriously. See the doctor. Speaking from family experience here.

there has been mention of this sailing on Fb- one couple having great time. Slight mention of captain announcement but not much.

please take care.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

You definitely need to get ahold of the medical folks to see what they can do for you.

Is Princess allowing you to make phone calls for free and / or do you have access to Wifi?  Maybe if your wife isn't being hit as hard she can start making arrangements.  Wishing you both well!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

I am so very sorry you not well. Please ask for a liaison to help you arrange your hotel, plane changes and other needs. Use Crew Chat. Ask to speak to the director of guest services if you don’t get a liaison to help you ASAP.  While most positive passengers will not need help you sound ill enough that they should be providing you more assistance.  
(I agree with you that a rental car wouldn’t be covered by Princess and thankfully you recognize it’s not safe to be driving that far in your current state of health )

• Like 4

They should have Medicine for you. 

Does the Medical Center have special enhancements to manage COVID-19 on board?

Every ship has dedicated medical staff (Doctors, Nurses, etc.) operating ship medical centers to serve guests and crew on board.

They are informed on the latest COVID-19 scientific status and trained on all relevant COVID-19 procedures.

We’ve enhanced our shipboard medical capabilities with the necessary staffing, medications, supplies, oxygen, equipment and procedures to triage and treat multiple COVID-19 cases across the full clinical spectrum including intensive care.

We’ve also expanded on board medical staffing roles to include staff responsible to oversee onboard aspects of public health and outbreak prevention and response.

The medical staff requirements and equipment on each ship will meet or exceed the guidelines from the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) Healthcare Guidelines for Cruise Ship Medical Facilities.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Testing required to get ON the ship, but not when you come back from a port stop...which is likely where the majority of the cases started. Additionally, say you caught Covid before the cruise but the test is done before the antibodies are being produced. That means you'll get ON the ship with Covid brewing.

As with pre-cruise testing, if you catch the virus at a port stop you will not test positive returning to the ship. It will be 3 to 5 days later Covid would be detectable.

Testing of all needs to be done mid-cruise.

• Like 4