Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Was informed by guest services no room service on disembarkation due to circumstances!!!  Only Horizons open 6-9!  I called to ask. Glad to be going home and I hope 🤞 all will enjoy a good cruise to Hawaii! That will be a wonderful cruise! 🌺Mahalo 

Edited by DeeniEncinitas
Have no idea why this came up!

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

I am so sorry!

I hope Princess learns from this situation and goes back to stronger requirements onboard.

I hope you feel better soon and can get home.

And they’ll actually enforce the rules unlike on Majestic in October where half the people in the Princess Theater were maskless when they were required…we didn’t go there again.

Just now, Optotronics said:

Yes, sickest I’ve felt in ages

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

So sorry for both you and your wife! I pray the outcome will be short for both of you. May I ask what deck your quarantined on?  Hope we can still all get to San Francisco and I hope you get home safely when you can! Take care

Sincerely

🌺Denise

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

And they’ll actually enforce the rules unlike on Majestic in October where half the people in the Princess Theater were maskless when they were required…we didn’t go there again.

They were very good on the Grand Princess enforcing the rules  in December.

Yes - set rules, enforce rules!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@OptotronicsI too am so sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you and your DW recover quickly and can get home. Thank you for your honesty in sharing your experience with all of us.

Boarding the Majestic in 4 weeks from today and I’m suddenly reminded of the need to bring and wear our KN95 masks even if not required. 

1 minute ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

So sorry for both you and your wife! I pray the outcome will be short for both of you. May I ask what deck your quarantined on?  Hope we can still all get to San Francisco and I hope you get home safely when you can! Take care

Sincerely

🌺Denise

We are being moved to deck 12 with a balcony is what they told us. We shall see. Right now we are on lido deck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Optotronics said:

We are being moved to deck 12 with a balcony is what they told us. We shall see. Right now we are on lido deck

Godspeed. Yes I understand that it is always a gamble in life for the choices we all make, BUT I can not accept Carnivals thinking with their lack of 

protocols. IMO and now a lot of wonderful passengers are involved in the middle of masks no masks. Self serve or not. The sun comes up and the sun sets, and our lives move on. May you and all cruisers enjoy years of cruises to come. Get well quickly 

🌺Denise

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

Hopefully you’ll soon be notified if it’s Covid or something else…either way so sorry that both of you are experiencing severe symptoms & hopefully you’ll feel better soon.

We board Discovery in LA tomorrow for 2 weeks & hopefully won’t experience any outbreaks. We’ll have additional exposure to other passengers during embarkation because there is no terminal at the pier. Check-in & bag drop off at a vacant terminal to wait for shuttles to the ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

That is perfectly in line with updated CDC recommendations, glad they are moving people to balconies as fresh air and sunshine helps. Quarantining in inside cabins is a dreadful thought. Hope your recovery is speedy!   

• Like 4

Moved us the aloha deck using an interior 

dozens of red and orange tagged doors long the way.

letter says they will reimburse us for the day in quarantine cabin as a future credit (like we would come back with only 1 day credit given). They will also pay for 4 days of hotel quarantine and 100 a day for food. We need to make arrangements  this is terrible. It’s a not just a flu, some symptoms may never go away, it’s just to new to really know.

we did everything right and quarantined for 10 days at home before the trip 

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

Moved us the aloha deck using an interior 

dozens of red and orange tagged doors long the way.

letter says they will reimburse us for the day in quarantine cabin as a future credit (like we would come back with only 1 day credit given). They will also pay for 4 days of hotel quarantine and 100 a day for food. We need to make arrangements  this is terrible. It’s a not just a flu, some symptoms may never go away, it’s just to new to really know.

we did everything right and quarantined for 10 days at home before the trip 

If you have travel insurance - make sure you seek their coverages also.

Godspeed for healing! Thank you for posting a very honest report of what is going on as I board a ship this next weekend. I will be extra careful now.

3 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

I still don't understand how Ruby is the only buffet that is self-serve.  Can the ship even make a decision like that?

Maybe it was Princess corporate testing the waters with one ship.

Just now, Coral said:

Maybe it was Princess corporate testing the waters with one ship.

Carnival owns Princess and all the Carnival branded ships are self serve. Surface transmissions are very rare, it's mostly in the air. I highly doubt anyone is contracting covid from serving utensils. Washing ones hands (or using sanitizer), after serving themselves and before eating, would also nearly eliminate the possibility. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nini said:

I thought that testing was still required to get on a Princess ship was still required?

We have to find a testing place in a foreign city on a weekend to test. The country

(UK) does not require one to enter.

Testing required to get ON the ship, but not when you come back from a port stop...which is likely where the majority of the cases started. Additionally, say you caught Covid before the cruise but the test is done before the antibodies are being produced. That means you'll get ON the ship with Covid brewing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

If you have travel insurance - make sure you seek their coverages also.

Godspeed for healing! Thank you for posting a very honest report of what is going on as I board a ship this next weekend. I will be extra careful now.

Ok thanks for the tip.

I hope we get some help in finding hotel or seeing if our 1 night scheduled hotel will take us and extend or stay

I’ve got so much brain fog and anxiety right now. The whole port side of aloha deck if for Covid, not sure about other floors or sides.

I think they are very chump in their lower standards just for our cruise. 
I thought all the people getting off in Costa Rica where performers going to a different ship, I guess not.

missed final formal night for a hotdog.

I can’t believe they won’t refund at least half the cruise.

if totally screws your life over.

don’t have anyone to watch our dog after Monday. Our paid parking for our car expires then as well so need to contact and hope it isn’t towed away.

missed doctors appointments that took months to schedule.

sorry, the staff has been great, but we are really screwed.

will they pay for lost work too, I doubt.

• Like 1

I don't think that the ship gives you meds  to help reduce the symptoms.

We are  leaving on the Discovery tomorrow. I have packed Robitussin DM, Zertec, Tylenol, etc.In case we get sick. I don't think the medical center has those items. People posting on Cruise Critic that had been in isolation mentioned no meds given to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Testing required to get ON the ship, but not when you come back from a port stop...which is likely where the majority of the cases started. Additionally, say you caught Covid before the cruise but the test is done before the antibodies are being produced. That means you'll get ON the ship with Covid brewing.

The OP said as quoted below:

"I sure wish they wouldn’t have dropped the PCR test before embarkation and testing 2 days before the Panama Canal."

I was surprised that there was no testing before embarkation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

Ok thanks for the tip.

I hope we get some help in finding hotel or seeing if our 1 night scheduled hotel will take us and extend or stay

I’ve got so much brain fog and anxiety right now. The whole port side of aloha deck if for Covid, not sure about other floors or sides.

I think they are very chump in their lower standards just for our cruise. 
I thought all the people getting off in Costa Rica where performers going to a different ship, I guess not.

missed final formal night for a hotdog.

I can’t believe they won’t refund at least half the cruise.

if totally screws your life over.

don’t have anyone to watch our dog after Monday. Our paid parking for our car expires then as well so need to contact and hope it isn’t towed away.

missed doctors appointments that took months to schedule.

sorry, the staff has been great, but we are really screwed.

will they pay for lost work too, I doubt.

Kee All receipts and copies of them after submitting them.  Be safe. 

after hearing they made bed you to a different cabin for 1 night, I bet many others won’t test until they get within a few hours of disembarking. 

take care

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

The op stated they were moved to balcony room. They walked along the interior of the ship and noticed tags on doors.  

"Moved us the aloha deck using an interior ", sure sounds like they were stuck in an interior to me. 

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Simple solution, wash your hands before you eat or use hand sanitizer, it's not that complicated. That or cruise on HAL if that's your biggest concern, which it shouldn't be in the grand scheme of things.  

We did, but of course not everyone did and there was no enforment in tight spaces like the theater.

what is the timeframe from catching to showing symptoms? It’s possible we were all walking around 4 days ago spreading it.

• Like 3