Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

3 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

I went to feeling fine when the captain made his announcement to having chills around 11pm. Just woke up to the worst chills and sore throat I’ve had since I was a kid. Wife says she’s not doing any better. Going to call medical for a test.

we had plans to stay a night on fisherman’s wharf before flying home, do they even let you fly home with active Covid?

this was a major mistake.

all the pieces fit now. We went to the show about 4-5 days ago and you could tell that they had just grabbed a regular crew member to fill in and was terrible.

then on Cabo we where put right next to each other in the theater to wait for our tender and many not wearing masks and lots of coughs.

I sure hope that you test negative.  There's a lot of flu going around too.  Still not great but better than Covid.  If it's Covid, you will have to quarantine in a hotel at Princess' expense.  Good luck to you and your wife!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I sure hope that you test negative.  There's a lot of flu going around too.  Still not great but better than Covid.  If it's Covid, you will have to quarantine in a hotel at Princess' expense.  Good luck to you and your wife!

Princess provides for meals and medical care. They also provide a liaison who will assist in filing your insurance claim; but unless things have changed, I do not think they cover the cost of the hotel.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

I went to feeling fine when the captain made his announcement to having chills around 11pm. Just woke up to the worst chills and sore throat I’ve had since I was a kid. Wife says she’s not doing any better. Going to call medical for a test.

we had plans to stay a night on fisherman’s wharf before flying home, do they even let you fly home with active Covid?

all the pieces fit now. We went to the show about 4-5 days ago and you could tell that they had just grabbed a regular crew member to fill in and was terrible.

then on Cabo we where put right next to each other in the theater to wait for our tender and many not wearing masks and lots of coughs.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. I woke up exactly the same last Saturday. Took one at home COVID test and it was positive, but another brand was negative. A PCR test yielded a negative result 3 days later. It was just a garden variety URI, though it didn’t start out that way. I very much hope yours is the same. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Thanks for the update.  If you hear anything else we should know, would you mind bringing it to our attention.  Scary times again, unfortunately.

Absolutely!

That's what us folks do on CC 🙂

Cheers,

John 

PS: They get back tomorrow (we live in the Bay Area) so what he doesn't text me I will share what we talk about in person when we see each other.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Babr said:

Princess provides for meals and medical care. They also provide a liaison who will assist in filing your insurance claim; but unless things have changed, I do not think they cover the cost of the hotel.

There have been many reports of Princess providing the hotel rooms and also a meal allowance.  And I confirmed this during our cruise last month on the Regal (thankfully we stayed healthy so we didn't have to use it).  Folks do have to pay these bills and then submit the receipts for reimbursement.  If insurance is involved a claim needs to be submitted to the carrier first, but Princess should pay if there's no insurance involved.

Here's the latest policy from the Princess website

image.png.2fff5399857ceed0b9fdc46039fbd778.png

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Babr said:

So sorry to hear this news.  We recently experienced Covid on an Emerald b2b.  If you have the Princess insurance, they will reimburse you for the hotel stay (you'll have to isolate for 5 days), transportation and related expenses.  They will also give you $100 pp, per day, for meals. 

Luckily, you are heading for the port as the time we spent in an isolation cabin onboard was horrible.

Btw, we filed our claim about 3 weeks ago and have yet to receive anything.  Our claim has been assigned to an examiner.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

Oh this is not good.

We all hope it's not Covid but, really doesn't sound good.

When we put the puzzle together while looking back, we can see then all the issues that lead up to a situation (guess that's why they say 20/20 vision).

We are all pulling for you but, while you have internet you should be planning on what to do worse case.

• Like 2

Oh, and one other thing my friend told me onboard is he was told they test the crew every 7 days (again, I don't know if this is true or not, just what he was told from a crew member). And this he thinks is when they discovered the cases of the crew. Passengers of course were not tested until they showed symptoms.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Oh, and one other thing my friend told me onboard is he was told they test the crew every 7 days (again, I don't know if this is true or not

Since the re-start, they have been testing all crew members every Friday.  That would fall inline with their discovery of new covid cases yesterday.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, caribill said:

A classic case of locking the barn door after the horse was stolen.

Princess needs to follow the science, not the popular desire not to wear masks.

Why not just skip cruising then? Vote with your wallet. Everyone knows the score and current conditions. If you're uncomfortable with masks policy, wear one/two or don't simply go. Choice is a good thing, exercise it. If they reinstate the masks (that the overwhelming majority of cruisers don't like) there will be loads of cancellations and empty ships. While that may make some all to happy, after that comes bankruptcy and no cruises for anyone. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Room service is typically not available on disembarkation day for all Princess cruises.

We have always gotten the door hanger room service menu for disembarkation morning in the past

1 hour ago, Optotronics said:

I am so sorry to hear this and hope you feel better soon and end up being negative.  

I just got off the Grand yesterday.  I wore my mask everywhere - even did the sip and cover method while eating with it on.  I would say only about 20% wore masks on our Hawai’i sailing and there were definitely people coughing. 

I have a small headache and last night was dizzy, the room started spinning.  I’m lucky enough to be only 20 minutes from San Pedro so I can self isolate at home for now and will take a home test if the headache is still there tomorrow.  

I think Princess went way too fast, too soon with the removal of the mask requirement.  At any rate, I wish you and your wife all the best and hope for a speedy recovery for you. 

• Like 1

Moving us to quarantine cabin.

the medical guy said he’s been busy all night since the announcement last night and has hardly slept.

I hope they let us quarantine in our own hotel and and take our 1st class flight home.
we have someone house sitting with our pets and they have to leave Monday evening:(

what a nightmare come true:( 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

Absolutely!

That's what us folks do on CC 🙂

Cheers,

John 

PS: They get back tomorrow (we live in the Bay Area) so what he doesn't text me I will share what we talk about in person when we see each other.

That’s great, John, I’ll look forward to hearing from you.

4 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

the medical guy said he’s been busy all night since the announcement last night and has hardly slept.

I hope they let us quarantine in our own hotel and and take our 1st class flight home.
we have someone house sitting with our pets and they have to leave Monday evening:(

Oh, no!  A nightmare for sure.  We too, will be having a pet sitter when we next cruise on Emerald and this would be disastrous.  Hope you’re feeling better soon and please keep us posted.  Thanks for taking the time to report.

8 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

You tested positive?

I thought that testing was still required to get on a Princess ship was still required?

We have to find a testing place in a foreign city on a weekend to test. The country

(UK) does not require one to enter.

2 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

Yes, sickest I’ve felt in ages

I am so sorry. I have a good friend who was also very ill, but she had tested negative due to the "timing" of the test. The docs did not know what was wrong with her. She was FULLY vaxed 5 months before.

45 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

I am so sorry!

I hope Princess learns from this situation and goes back to stronger requirements onboard.

I hope you feel better soon and can get home.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Optotronics said:

I sure wish they wouldn’t have dropped the PCR test before embarkation and testing 2 days before the Panama Canal.

noticed 2 days ago that there was a lot of  dry coughing going around.

captain just came on and announced that N95 mask must be worn at all times.

N95 or KN95?