Jewelry. Do you take your wedding ring/engagement ring?

24 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

That reminds me.   When I was a teen we loved a really good German restaurant in Dallas.   A crappy area of Dallas.   We never drove mom's car there (the nice one).   Now, when we go to the Texas State Fair, we don't drive my beloved touring Cadillac, we drive the spare car, a 2000 PT Cruiser.  

Was it Jorg's or Bavarian Grill? Those are the two that we like best.

37 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Was it Jorg's or Bavarian Grill? Those are the two that we like best.

Those are awesome.  This in European Crossroads near NW Hwy in actual Dallas, not merely the Dallas area.  If you'd never been, it was a neat idea just placed in the wrong place.  An outdoor mall, before outdoor malls were a thing.  But you parked outside and then within the area it was walking-only with theming of old European towns.  We have no problem taking the nice car to Plano. : )  

• Like 1

I know I'm peculiar this way but I don't like to wear jewelry.  Don't want to worry about loosing it, don't like anything clanking around on my wrists or earrings tangling in my hair.  Way back when we got married I told my husband not to waste his money on an engagement ring, that I'd rather have some nice furniture for the house.  I have a very simple gold wedding band and that's all I ever wear, home or away.  Don't have to worry about it coming off no matter what - I'm not the little slip of girl I used to be!

• 6 months later...

Y'll are making me think I need to eventually get another wedding ring.   Mine is precisely what I wanted.   One of those ones with stones allllll the way around.   And it alternates sapphire and diamond.   But those darn stones stick into my other fingers and are uncomfortable.  

On 1/19/2023 at 11:13 AM, Travelling2Some said:

I know I'm peculiar this way but I don't like to wear jewelry.  Don't want to worry about loosing it, don't like anything clanking around on my wrists or earrings tangling in my hair.  Way back when we got married I told my husband not to waste his money on an engagement ring, that I'd rather have some nice furniture for the house.  I have a very simple gold wedding band and that's all I ever wear, home or away.  Don't have to worry about it coming off no matter what - I'm not the little slip of girl I used to be!

We never worry about losing anything we just do not see the need to wear any.

30 years of cruising and traveling the world, have never taken jewelry off anywhere.  Funny story, several years ago we spent a week in Rome visiting all the tourist trap spots. I always keep my wallet in my front pocket. This trip I took a old wallet and put a one dollar Micky Mouse dollar bill in it.  Carried it in my back pocket for all to see, thought for sure it would be pickpocketed on day one. Five days later after visiting dozens of tourist spots the wallet was never touched. Wife thought I was crazy, I just wanted to see what would happen. The following year I tried it again walking along La Rambla for a few hours each day, same result. But I will still never keep anything in my back pockets while traveling. I also never take my passport off the ship or out of the hotel room safe unless it is required. I am also 73 and check off all a crooks boxes as being a easy target.

• Like 3

Some comments from someone with 30+ years of experience in jewelry:

Glad you love your rings and wear them all the time--please remember to go to a jeweler every 6 months for a free cleaning and inspection. Prongs holding your diamonds are very small and can get bent, broken or just worn down. It's not too expensive to repair or rebuild prongs if needed.

If you leave your rings at home, but take a fake set, please realize that crooks watching you  may assume that they are real and target you not necessarily for the ring, but for your purse or wallet because you look like a wealthy tourist.

If you wear your rings on port excursions, use the suggestion to turn them around.

I use the idea  of wearing a less conspicuous "everyday" ring for travel.

Most importantly be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Barb in GA

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barb in ga said:

Some comments from someone with 30+ years of experience in jewelry:

Glad you love your rings and wear them all the time--please remember to go to a jeweler every 6 months for a free cleaning and inspection. Prongs holding your diamonds are very small and can get bent, broken or just worn down. It's not too expensive to repair or rebuild prongs if needed.

If you leave your rings at home, but take a fake set, please realize that crooks watching you  may assume that they are real and target you not necessarily for the ring, but for your purse or wallet because you look like a wealthy tourist.

If you wear your rings on port excursions, use the suggestion to turn them around.

I use the idea  of wearing a less conspicuous "everyday" ring for travel.

Most importantly be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Barb in GA

Those are the few times that i've had them off, for cleanings & check for needed repairs.

Thanks to @barb in ga for mentioning an equally important reason for not wearing expensive jewelry when you travel. Loss or theft are only part of the problem. I’ve never wanted to draw the attention of possible muggers or pickpockets so the good stuff stays at home, and the plain gold band travels.

I don't really wear expensive jewelry except watches. I usually wear Breitlings which are worth in the thousands. When cruising I sometimes take one of the Breitlings which I'll wear around the ship, but if going ashore I bring a cheaper watch. I'm old school, I feel naked without a decent watch on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nferr said:

I don't really wear expensive jewelry except watches. I usually wear Breitlings which are worth in the thousands. When cruising I sometimes take one of the Breitlings which I'll wear around the ship, but if going ashore I bring a cheaper watch. I'm old school, I feel naked without a decent watch on.

I also need to be wearing a watch. I'm very time conscious. Pulling out my phone to constantly check the time is too much work.

• Like 4

On 8/16/2023 at 4:54 PM, ace1zoe2 said:

I never take my wedding/engagement rings off. In 43 years I may have removed them 10 times total for various reasons. Otherwise I wear them 24/7/365. 

I only wear my wedding ring, a plain thin band.  It’s been on my finger since the day we got married, almost 49 years ago.  I’ve had surgical tape wrapped around it for a couple of surgeries, but it hasn’t left my finger.  And I hope it stays there for quite a while longer.

My wife and I both take our wedding bands though we may leave them in the safe during the day if we're doing something like a beach/pool/Solarium.

I also still wear an actual watch (wife wears an Apple Watch). I used to bring my cheapo one that I don't care if it were to get scratched or even destroyed and a nicer one for at night (not super nice, I'm too frugal to buy anything more expensive, though I do appreciate nice watches).

On recent cruises I just stuck with the cheapo one. Not sure what changed.

7 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

My wife and I both take our wedding bands though we may leave them in the safe during the day if we're doing something like a beach/pool/Solarium.

I also still wear an actual watch (wife wears an Apple Watch). I used to bring my cheapo one that I don't care if it were to get scratched or even destroyed and a nicer one for at night (not super nice, I'm too frugal to buy anything more expensive, though I do appreciate nice watches).

On recent cruises I just stuck with the cheapo one. Not sure what changed.

I have a satellite watch but I never take it on cruises as I'm too concerned it will adjust the time to local and I don't realize it has changed time. So I stick with a regular watch for cruises.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have a satellite watch but I never take it on cruises as I'm too concerned it will adjust the time to local and I don't realize it has changed time. So I stick with a regular watch for cruises.

That makes sense. She uses hers for walking (music and tracking miles).

In June we woke up early as usual, wife went walking, I went to the SL for coffee not too much before 7am (at least I thought it was close to 7am) and wondered why the breakfast wasn't being put out... that's when I realized ship time rolled back an hour overnight (Western Caribbean). Only been cruising for 20+ years, you'd think I'd realize these things by now. 🙈

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That’s the great advantage of an old fashioned watch.  You can set the time and not worry about it changing.  DH has one we bought at Target for about $15.  Mostly used on vacation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

That makes sense. She uses hers for walking (music and tracking miles).

In June we woke up early as usual, wife went walking, I went to the SL for coffee not too much before 7am (at least I thought it was close to 7am) and wondered why the breakfast wasn't being put out... that's when I realized ship time rolled back an hour overnight (Western Caribbean). Only been cruising for 20+ years, you'd think I'd realize these things by now. 🙈

Wait, wha?   I thought I read that they stayed on the home port time?    I guess that wouldn't work for TA.   

2 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Wait, wha?   I thought I read that they stayed on the home port time?    I guess that wouldn't work for TA.  

No, even just going west from Florida to Mexico/Honduras ship time will change... but it won't necessarily match up with the actual time in each port.

They will make several announcements and it will be posted... but you have to actually pay attention to those things or you'll wind up oblivious like me, lol.

34 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

No, even just going west from Florida to Mexico/Honduras ship time will change... but it won't necessarily match up with the actual time in each port.

They will make several announcements and it will be posted... but you have to actually pay attention to those things or you'll wind up oblivious like me, lol.

This is why I love CC.   I didn't know that.  I'm also one of those people that filters out the droning announcements unless there is a sense of urgency in the voice.  Are there clocks around with the right time?   

I had a similar experience once.   I woke the family up very insistently in order to make the free, hot hotel breakfast.   Turns out I was an hour off, and they could have slept.   We were on the north coast of Indiana.   It hadn't occurred to me that going north in the US would change the time zone.