Tests required by RCI

Hi there, we are doing an Alaskan cruise with landtour through RCI in June.   I've read that I need to have a test before the landtour and then to bring an 'emed' test so I can test again before the cruise.   Being from the UK I've not heard of Emed, is this like the rapid lateral flow tests or the more intense PCR tests?

Tia.

They are antigen tests, but accepted for cruising.

You can order from eMed (6 test kits) or Optum (2 or 3 kits).  Probably order to be delivered to your hotel.

You could also find a drug store (CVS or Walgreens) to test you before the cruise portion.  Also, at some ports, RCI is offered testing at the pier (for a fee).

3 hours ago, killsport said:

See https://www.emed.com for more info. I believe these are the same as NAAT tests. The difference is someone monitors and certifies the result. 

Are you saying someone monitors the EMED test?  Forgive me, but I am just now learning about the EMED test. My cruise isn't until January of 2022.

5 minutes ago, killsport said:

When you do one of these tests, you use their app. It uses your device's (phone, tablet, computer) camera and they watch you perform the test. They then verify the result of test (using the same camera). See 

Thank you!  I did watch a YouTube yesterday where they guy was saying he thought the EMED was the way to go.  

Thanks everyone.   I am hoping that the rules will maybe change especially as Canada has now relaxed it's testing policy, but at least I know a bit more now, it just takes away the anticipation of going on a cruise as you can't get excited until that result comes back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, welshrich said:

Hi there, we are doing an Alaskan cruise with landtour through RCI in June.   I've read that I need to have a test before the landtour and then to bring an 'emed' test so I can test again before the cruise.   Being from the UK I've not heard of Emed, is this like the rapid lateral flow tests or the more intense PCR tests?

Tia.

Buy a couple of these…. If required when you go. I’ve never done a video-link one. 

https://lloydspharmacy.com/products/fit-to-fly-lateral-flow-test-kit-with-verification-service?variant=39547708178495

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, welshrich said:

Tia.

Did this come to you from RCL or another source?  If another source, I'd verify with RCL.

1 hour ago, welshrich said:

Thanks everyone.   I am hoping that the rules will maybe change especially as Canada has now relaxed it's testing policy, but at least I know a bit more now, it just takes away the anticipation of going on a cruise as you can't get excited until that result comes back.

agree. I also do not think you should have to test before a land tour of Alaska since it is part of USA.

One can get off a ship in FLA and drive all around the country without a test. 

15 hours ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Did this come to you from RCL or another source?  If another source, I'd verify with RCL.

I saw it on the RC blog page, I am flying on June 1st and with Canada relaxing testing rules I'm really hoping that the US might do the same.

I was under the impression you could use any test, as long as its Approved in the USA and supervised.  I plan on using the same type of test that will allow me to fly to the USA.  I booked from this site https://dochq.co.uk/  It states the test is FDA approved, so hopefully that will be ok.

18 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

agree. I also do not think you should have to test before a land tour of Alaska since it is part of USA.

One can get off a ship in FLA and drive all around the country without a test. 

The OP is flying to Alaska from UK for land tour, then on to the cruise.

They need to test to enter the US.  Then test for the cruise.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SRF said:

The OP is flying to Alaska from UK for land tour, then on to the cruise.

They need to test to enter the US.  Then test for the cruise.

I will be in the USA for a week before I take that test.  I am taking the test with me from the UK and will have a video call the day before the cruise.

am basically taking the same type of test twice.  Hopefully this will be ok.

Isn't there testing available at the cruise terminal as well, or is that not in every location?

Edited by gavvy

Yes.

Some people were saying you did not need a test to enter Alaska, but they were not noticing that the people saying they needed the test were coming from outside the US.

So then yes, two tests.  One test to enter the US.  And then one test to cruise, if you are in the US for more than a short period before your cruise starts.

On 4/1/2022 at 7:18 AM, SRF said:

Yes.

Some people were saying you did not need a test to enter Alaska, but they were not noticing that the people saying they needed the test were coming from outside the US.

So then yes, two tests.  One test to enter the US.  And then one test to cruise, if you are in the US for more than a short period before your cruise starts.

Correct.  However, what surprises me—-well, maybe not a surprise—-is that it seems RCL isn’t providing the test at the pier.  They’re on a cruise tour which, as I see it, is similar to a B2B and RCL provides the test prior to the second cruise.  

On 3/31/2022 at 4:23 PM, welshrich said:

Totally agree with this! Normally I’m packing and planning for weeks before we leave, but the way things stand at this time with testing it’s very stressful and has taken away a lot of the fun!

On 4/1/2022 at 8:16 AM, gavvy said:

I will be in the USA for a week before I take that test.  I am taking the test with me from the UK and will have a video call the day before the cruise.

am basically taking the same type of test twice.  Hopefully this will be ok.

Isn't there testing available at the cruise terminal as well, or is that not in every location?

12 hours ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Correct.  However, what surprises me—-well, maybe not a surprise—-is that it seems RCL isn’t providing the test at the pier.  They’re on a cruise tour which, as I see it, is similar to a B2B and RCL provides the test prior to the second cruise.  

I’d suggest that OP as well as anyone else contact the cruise line and ask specifically whether the land host for the pretrip will assist passengers to get the tests required for boarding. After all, everyone on the land tour will need a test to board. 

On 4/2/2022 at 8:57 AM, ILCTCRUISER said:

That is strange.  You would think with a land/sea, they would work out something for testing.