Covid Fiasco

Tedferg

Update: Our daughter just told me that she told Princess the Grandparents were next door. So perhaps I am overreacting. Even so there was no further communication and daughter had no idea when and how she herself would be disembarked. Princess could have a printed form which states what will happen.

Also, Princess should have contacted us to make sure we knew what was happening. Perhaps another explanatory form.

Excellent point by the poster who said a group should have a plan for what to do if one is Covid Positive.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If an American decides to go home, it is not sneaking.  There should be no consequences if they return after the quarantine period has elapsed.  I know of no consequences in such a situation.  If vaccinated, they don't require a test to return.

Is there a Public health order in effect?

"You must go directly to the place where you will isolate and stay there for 10 days. This is mandatory and starts the day you arrive in Canada. If you test positive in Canada (for example, when you arrive or on your Day-8 test), you must isolate for 10 days starting on the date you took that test.

During the 10-day period from the time you enter Canada, you’re required to answer any relevant questions asked by a Government of Canada employee."

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/isolation#isolation

It may be possible to self-drive out of Canada. But, this would be with the concurrence of Public Health.

In any case, CDC says specifically...

"Do NOT travel if…

You are sick, even if you recovered from COVID-19 within the past 90 days or are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines.
You tested positive for COVID-19.
Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms..."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel/index.html#do-not-travel

Hope this helps.

5 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Is there a Public health order in effect?

"You must go directly to the place where you will isolate and stay there for 10 days. This is mandatory and starts the day you arrive in Canada. If you test positive in Canada (for example, when you arrive or on your Day-8 test), you must isolate for 10 days starting on the date you took that test.

During the 10-day period from the time you enter Canada, you’re required to answer any relevant questions asked by a Government of Canada employee."

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/isolation#isolation

It may be possible to self-drive out of Canada. But, this would be with the concurrence of Public Health.

In any case, CDC says specifically...

"Do NOT travel if…

You are sick, even if you recovered from COVID-19 within the past 90 days or are up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines.
You tested positive for COVID-19.
Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms..."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel/index.html#do-not-travel

Hope this helps.

Sigh ... Here is a quote from a CTV News article Dec, 2020:

According to the federal government regulation around mandatory isolation, “a person who must quarantine themselves ... may leave Canada before the expiry of the 14-day quarantine period if they quarantine themselves until they depart from Canada.”

Canada is not able to keep an American from returning home.

My brother was in this situation in 2020 when he was allowed to enter Canada after my Dad died.  He left well before 14 days were up.  He was quarantining in a hotel but received permission to see my Mother. 

And you can still leave Canada prior the end of a isolation period:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/isolation

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Canada is not able to keep an American from returning home.

My brother was in this situation in 2020 when he was allowed to enter Canada after my Dad died.  He left well before 14 days were up.  He was quarantining in a hotel but received permission to see my Mother. 

And you can still leave Canada prior the end of a isolation period:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/isolation

Note the conditions stated here...

"If you do not have symptoms, you may choose to leave Canada before the end of the 14-day quarantine period. However, you must:

• continue to quarantine yourself until your departure date
  • wear a mask when you depart Canada
  • comply with all regulations for the country of destination

If you are in a federal designated quarantine facility, you must get authorization from a quarantine officer to leave."

29 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Note the conditions stated here...

"If you do not have symptoms, you may choose to leave Canada before the end of the 14-day quarantine period. However, you must:

• continue to quarantine yourself until your departure date
  • wear a mask when you depart Canada
  • comply with all regulations for the country of destination

If you are in a federal designated quarantine facility, you must get authorization from a quarantine officer to leave."

What's to note?  There are no more federal covid jails at the airport hotels (AFAIK).  They cannot enforce their rules outside of Canada.  Anyway, unproductive to continue this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And Princess and all other cruise lines have to learn that the fear of quarantine and how they will be treated is one of the biggest reasons for potential passengers not too book. They have to make it clear how you will be treated, and with compassion.

They have made it clear how you will be treated.

The problem is the ships are not doing what was made clear.

• Like 4

On 4/10/2022 at 1:27 PM, dog said:

Horrible treatment of positive passengers and travel companions.  Not at all like they put in print.

I would have TOLD customer relations that there was a Minor in a cabin alone.

and escalated the situation until they acknowledged that Princess was responsible for her!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure mom would have said something if daughter were actually alone. Clearly mom didn't say anything, so the crew didn't react. Blaming them for not reacting when you haven't told them of the problem seems a bit much. It's easy to say what "should have been done", but you have no idea what would have happened if they had told the staff she was unattended. Let's not leave that part out. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tedferg said:

perhaps I am overreacting

As a grandparent I have to respectfully disagree. Even though your dtr stated your granddaughter would be under your supervision PSD should have confirmed that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ombud said:

As a grandparent I have to respectfully disagree. Even though your dtr stated your granddaughter would be under your supervision PSD should have confirmed that.  

Why?  Their rooms were next door, they were traveling together.  Why would they have to confirm anything?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wavesprite said:

Why?  Their rooms were next door, they were traveling together.  Why would they have to confirm anything?

To reiterate responsibility. Nowhere did OP state the accounts were linked. Also I assumed the grandchild was a minor and I'm under the impression that minors cannot be a solo in a room

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ombud said:

To reiterate responsibility. Nowhere did OP state the accounts were linked. Also I assumed the grandchild was a minor and I'm under the impression that minors cannot be a solo in a room

Definitely a minor shouldn’t be in a room on their own. As I said before if that was my Granddaughter unless there was an adjoining door ( which I would leave wide open at all times)  I would have insisted a bed be made up in our cabin for her, alternately I would sleep in the cabin with her and my husband would stay in our cabin.  No matter how sensible the child is someone could get into that room at night and no one else would know until the morning. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Update: Our daughter just told me that she told Princess the Grandparents were next door. So perhaps I am overreacting. Even so there was no further communication and daughter had no idea when and how she herself would be disembarked. Princess could have a printed form which states what will happen.

I don't believe that you have any reason to apologise. Its clear from the many reports that the Princess ships were disorganized, and overwhelmed by the workload. Resulting in discomfort and anxiety among the infected pax and their companions.

IMO, its astonishing that after 2 years, Princess still hasn't gotten it right. Perhaps, ship management needed to roll up their sleeves and answer the phones. 🙄

• Like 5

9 hours ago, caribill said:

They have made it clear how you will be treated.

The problem is the ships are not doing what was made clear.

And what good is that if the ships are not doing what was made clear?

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

......................... and I'm under the impression that minors cannot be a solo in a room

This happens all the time.  We did it eons ago when girls were young.  Mom and Child 1 are booked in a cabin.  Dad and Child 2 are booked in another cabin.  After boarding, Mom & Dad are in Cabin A and children in Cabin B.  Normally, Cabins A&B are in very close proximity and of course the adults are responsible for the kids.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

This happens all the time.  We did it eons ago when girls were young.  Mom and Child 1 are booked in a cabin.  Dad and Child 2 are booked in another cabin.  After boarding, Mom & Dad are in Cabin A and children in Cabin B.  Normally, Cabins A&B are in very close proximity and of course the adults are responsible for the kids.

Exactly.  Not solo. Now how would you feel if you found out Spouse & you in 1 room. Child alone in another room. No idea when they get in, have others in, or out roaming the ship at 3am

FWIW when traveling with kids they are next door & across the hall knowing fully well that I'm walking in at night to do a bed check. Also they are not alone. 

I was the kid of every parents’ nightmare.  If I’d been left in my own room on a ship I’d be gone the moment the opportunity presented itself.  At any age.  I guess this is where the Medallion app comes in handy.  If it worked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Exactly.  Not solo. Now how would you feel if you found out Spouse & you in 1 room. Child alone in another room. No idea when they get in, have others in, or out roaming the ship at 3am

FWIW when traveling with kids they are next door & across the hall knowing fully well that I'm walking in at night to do a bed check. Also they are not alone. 

As I said before what if someone got into the room at night, the parents would know nothing about it until the morning. 

Edited by amajaa
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, amajaa said:

As I said before what if someone got into the room at night, the parents would know nothing about it until the morning. 

People travel with kids all the time and kids are not always in rooms with adults. I went to Europe with 3 teachers and 50 teens when I was in high school. I have friends who have sent their middle school kids to Washington DC with 2 teachers. This is very common. This is no different than school trips that happen in middle and high schools all over the place.

I have friends who have 6 kids and when they travel, they need 3-4 hotel rooms. They have traveled internationally. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

People travel with kids all the time and kids are not always in rooms with adults. I went to Europe with 3 teachers and 50 teens when I was in high school. I have friends who have sent their middle school kids to Washington DC with 2 teachers. This is very common. This is no different than school trips that happen in middle and high schools all over the place.

I have friends who have 6 kids and when they travel, they need 3-4 hotel rooms. They have traveled internationally. 

Yes but on those occasions there are probably at least 2 or 3 kids in each room, not one kid on their own. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Yes but on those occasions there are probably at least 2 or 3 kids in each room, not one kid on their own. 

There are famous child abductions with multiple kids in a bed room. Or with parents in the same house.