Port of LA Parking Issue (not good)

MsSoCalCruiser

After two wonderful weeks aboard the beautiful Discovery Princess I had to leave the ship.  We asked if we could stay one more week but they were sold out for todays cruise.  So I sadly walked to my car which was parked at the Port of LA.  I thought it was $19 per day but when I glanced at the sign while I was leaving it looked like it said $20 per day so I’m really not sure which. Anyway, I got to my car but when I went to start my car  it would not start.  Ugh, I thought that it must be a dead battery…..

I called AAA and while I was talking to them a man in the car next to me overheard and said that he would jump my car but he had to go and pick up a few more suitcases because he was also leaving the ship today. I wish I knew your name so I could thank you again so if you happen to read this, please say hello.  While I was waiting for him to return I pulled the little lever in my car to pop the hood but it didn’t make any sound. I walked to the front of my car and thought it was odd that the hood was cracked open but I didn’t hear it open. Imagine my surprise when I lifted the hood and saw that my battery was missing.  Somebody had forced my hood open, broken the hood release cable, and had stolen my battery!  

Almost $200 later I have a new battery but who knows how much it’s going to cost to fix the hood release cable that will need to be replaced.  Many thanks to the Port of LA Police and the young man from Falcon Towing that showed up to help me with my car.  If I ever needed help I would not hesitate to contact Falcon Towing because the young man that showed up was amazing.  

I always thought that our vehicles would be safe while paying at the Port of LA for parking. The area is fenced in but my guess is that there are no cameras!  

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

After two wonderful weeks aboard the beautiful Discovery Princess I had to leave the ship.  We asked if we could stay one more week but they were sold out for todays cruise.  So I sadly walked to my car which was parked at the Port of LA.  I thought it was $19 per day but when I glanced at the sign while I was leaving it looked like it said $20 per day so I’m really not sure which. Anyway, I got to my car but when I went to start my car  it would not start.  Ugh, I thought that it must be a dead battery…..

I called AAA and while I was talking to them a man in the car next to me overheard and said that he would jump my car but he had to go and pick up a few more suitcases because he was also leaving the ship today. I wish I knew your name so I could thank you again so if you happen to read this, please say hello.  While I was waiting for him to return I pulled the little lever in my car to pop the hood but it didn’t make any sound. I walked to the front of my car and thought it was odd the the hood was cracked open but I didn’t hear it open. Imagine my surprise when I lifted the hood and saw that my battery was missing.  Somebody had forced my hood open, broken the hood release cable, and had stolen my battery!  

Almost $200 later I have a new battery but who knows how much it’s going to cost to fix the hood release cable that will need to be replaced.  Many thanks to the Port of LA Police and the young man from Falcon Towing that showed up to help me with my car.  If I ever needed help I would not hesitate to contact Falcon Towing because the young man that showed up was amazing.  

I always thought that our vehicles would be safe while paying at the Port of LA for parking. The area is fenced in but my guess is that there are no cameras!  

Wow!!!  Unbelievable!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I called AAA and while I was talking to them a man in the car next to me overheard and said that he would jump my car but he had to go and pick up a few more suitcases because he was also leaving the ship today. I wish I knew your name so I could thank you again so if you happen to read this, please say hello.  While I was waiting for him to return I pulled the little lever in my car to pop the hood but it didn’t make any sound. I walked to the front of my car and thought it was odd the the hood was cracked open but I didn’t hear it open. Imagine my surprise when I lifted the hood and saw that my battery was missing.  Somebody had forced my hood open, broken the hood release cable, and had stolen my battery!  

What an awful way to end the cruise! So sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, I'm sure there were others that were taken as well. 😡

• Like 1

That is terrible. I’ve been parking here since the eighties and have never had any problems. Thank goodness it wasn’t your catalytic converter, that would have really cost $$$.

The ship is beautiful! Trying to get pillows for my bed, they think they might be able to find some. Haha. I always pack my own so I will at least have one. Wish you could have stayed on. 

• Like 1

DH had 2 comments: it could have been one of the night shift parking lot attendants. They would know when the best time to do a little "5 finger discounting".

AND is it lawsuit time? You paid for security and obviously didn't get it.

At the very least, the parking fee should have been waived.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JF - retired RRT said:

DH had 2 comments: it could have been one of the night shift parking lot attendants. They would know when the best time to do a little "5 finger discounting".

I bet it says on the ticket that they aren’t responsible for anything.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You paid for security and obviously didn't get it.

They always have those disclaimers: Not responsible for theft or damage, yada, yada, yada.

Your insurance should cover it if the lot won't.

It may even be covered by the credit card you used to pay for the cruise. Many offer free travel insurance.

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, CruzDayz said:

That is terrible. I’ve been parking here since the eighties and have never had any problems. Thank goodness it wasn’t your catalytic converter, that would have really cost $$$.

The ship is beautiful! Trying to get pillows for my bed, they think they might be able to find some. Haha. I always pack my own so I will at least have one. Wish you could have stayed on. 

Thank you. I can tell you where I left my pillows if my cabin is still empty, lol.  We really wanted to stay on for one more week. We tried but sold out! Enjoy your cruise! Everything was perfect!  If you have any questions just let me know.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

Wow! Awful! So sorry this happened. Didn’t AAA help you or replace the battery? 

Thank you! Yes AAA came and it was just shy of $200 to replace the battery I had to pay a fee because the core wasn’t there to recycle, lol.  I have no idea how much it will cost to get the hood release cable replaced??? I thought of you when this happened.  

24 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I did not pay for parking. I told them that I refused to pay and they let me leave…. I will probably be contacting them when I get the other repairs completed. Just terrible!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you. I can tell you where I left my pillows if my cabin is still empty, lol.  We really wanted to stay on for one more week. We tried but sold out! Enjoy your cruise! Everything was perfect!  If you have any questions just let me know.  

D93D88FE-4A42-4745-953A-1FEB0FC991CF.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CruzDayz said:

D93D88FE-4A42-4745-953A-1FEB0FC991CF.jpeg

Get ready to be spoiled! We had a sideways inside cabin for two weeks and we were totally comfortable.  Ivan makes great iced coffee at the coffee bar (soy wth a ton of chocolate, lol).  Please tell him that the person with the dairy allergy sent you.  He might be confused so let him know that I left today. Tell him what happened to my car! And tell him that I need a coffee bad!!!!  I hope you post tons of photos and I wish I was with you!  Enjoy!!!  

3 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Get ready to be spoiled! We had a sideways inside cabin for two weeks and we were totally comfortable.  Ivan makes great iced coffee at the coffee bar (soy wth a ton of chocolate, lol).  Please tell him that the person with the dairy allergy sent you.  He might be confused so let him know that I left today. Tell him what happened to my car! And tell him that I need a coffee bad!!!!  I hope you post tons of photos and I wish I was with you!  Enjoy!!!  

I had to send this one to my daughter since she tells me to stop bringing cookies back to my cabin if I don’t want to gain weight. My steward just brought a bathrobe and is still looking for pillows.  I’m heading out to find music. They have two good groups at the same time. 

BD8425C5-695F-4C34-9F42-A6AEC1DDC0CA.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CruzDayz said:

I had to send this one to my daughter since she tells me to stop bringing cookies back to my cabin if I don’t want to gain weight. My steward just brought a bathrobe and is still looking for pillows.  I’m heading out to find music. They have two good groups at the same time. 

BD8425C5-695F-4C34-9F42-A6AEC1DDC0CA.jpeg

Do NOT miss Rock Opera!  It was amazing. Get there early for a good seat.  It can be quite loud so that may help you decide where you want to sit. I cannot wait to see that show again and I’m really picky. Also AJ Clark was really good in Crooners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

They always have those disclaimers: Not responsible for theft or damage, yada, yada, yada.

Your insurance should cover it if the lot won't.

It may even be covered by the credit card you used to pay for the cruise. Many offer free travel insurance.

Thank you. I will look into this. Some people are just terrible!

So sorry that your battery was stolen. We also were there for two weeks and left this morning. Good that you didn't pay their parking fee. For two weeks it was $280. You would think our cars would be safe. Could have been someone

who's battery didn't start so they helped themselves to yours.If we saw someone working on a car , we would just think they were having car trouble and not stealing.Don't think there is a market for a used battery . Wonder if the alarm on the car would go off if any security person would check it out.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

So sorry that your battery was stolen. We also were there for two weeks and left this morning. Good that you didn't pay their parking fee. For two weeks it was $280. You would think our cars would be safe. Could have been someone

who's battery didn't start so they helped themselves to yours.If we saw someone working on a car , we would just think they were having car trouble and not stealing.Don't think there is a market for a used battery . Wonder if the alarm on the car would go off if any security person would check it out.  

While I was talking to the manager a young man that worked at the parking gate told me that he had his battery stolen twice within six months from in front of his home. I don’t get it but they’re doing something with used batteries.

We left on Monday after a 10 day cruise.   As we were walking to our car all I could think about was that someone hadn't drained my car of a full tank of gas.   

There is a fence around the parking area but still has public access from the main street.  We did have gas in the car and we drove home with me having Covid.   A trip to remember.  

• Like 1