Major Refits upcoming for Riviera (2022) and Marina (2023)

MEFIowa

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

You didn’t grasp my point. Someday there won’t be a Jacques Pepin. Will there still be a Jacques? If so, for how long? How long will there a a French Laundry without Keller?

One of the most sought after wines is (SQN). SQN is Manfred Krankel. No one creates the wines that he does, even though several try. When he’s gone, so goes SQN. Some establishments aren’t Kendall Jackson wines whose owners can be bought and sold numerous times. The Clarence Dillon Family has had to make numerous changes to Haut Brion to maintain its 1st Growth reputation and quality. A Haut Brion in the 60s is nothing similar to a HB today. Just guessing, but a HB today, built in a 1960s style, would probably get a poor rating and be a tougher sell. That’s regardless of what some collectors might pay for that 62. 

Cuisine does not work that way. Rather each major French cuisine style represents a movement with specific details. The 5 mother sauces of Escoffier are still used in all French cooking after nearly 150 years. Boeuf Bourguignon first showed up in the early 1900’s. Coq au vin appeared in an 1864 cookbook. Onion Soup can be traced to the workmen coming home in the early mornings of the 1800’s. Bouillibaisse - 600 BC.

As far as names, Paul Bocuse and Joël Robuchon have many restaurants still doing very well though each has been dead for years. Robuchons restaurants boast 32 Michelin stars at present.

I do agree with you on the name Jacques - that perhaps has become dated as many Americans probably have no idea who he is.But to do away with a French specialty restaurant on these ships because of the name would be a real shame. If Oceania is trying to fill its ships with young people who want quick meals cooked in an open kitchen (Embers) or pizzas,  it is not my demographic or my definition of the finest cuisine at sea. 
Let’s wait and sea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The press release says it's an evening venue:

"a delightful Trattoria will feature an array of wood-fired pizzas, succulently grilled Italian specialties, tantalizing salads, and indulgent desserts every evening in a relaxed atmosphere caressed by sea breezes and dappled with moonlight."

Could be outside of the Terrace on the aft deck ??

Time will tell LOL

4 hours ago, edgee said:

It can be done. We recently selected a cabin, for the first time, on Regent Mariner. (Normally do not cruise RSSC but going to join wife's family 🤔). Cabins with showers and no tubs are starred on the deckplan. They are fairly randomly located throughout the ship and are considered more desirable due to a tight fit situation in bathrooms with tubs.

And this is exactly how they manage the rooms with the pull out couches. This is easily managed. 

4 hours ago, Eloise4Ever said:

We disembarked Riviera last week after our first O cruise. We thought the ship was beautiful although one of our party felt all the dark wood was rather old school in this day and age. Talking to my husband just now about the refit, we hope O will take this opportunity to improve the internet connectivity which was dreadful on our 17 day sailing. (Yes that included a transatlantic crossing but we didn't experience these issues on crossings on other cruise lines.) We also fervently hope that they will eliminate the large opening to the smoking lounge in Horizons. The stench of cigars and cigarettes was clearly detectable in the elevator lobby and at the bar. We were astonished that such a thing was allowed to happen on a cruise ship in 2022. Apart from the discomfort of guests, it is negligent to subject the bar staff to hours of second-hand smoke at a time. 

We also wondered if the new pizzeria might make use of the Waves area when it is empty at night? It would be a good use of a space that is otherwise under-utilised. 

Cigars aren’t allowed in the Horizons smoking area. Someone not knowing the rules might be doing it, but someone in charge would hopefully tell them. Maybe with the new upgrades they will put doors on them, which should have been done all along. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Can't see paying 500-1000 a day  to eat friggen pizza?   

Then you had better stay away from Spaccanapoli, Silversea's gourmet pizza restaurants on four of its ships.  They offer pizza from late morning through late evening.  Going to cost you more than $500-$1,000 a day though...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

Cigars aren’t allowed in the Horizons smoking area. Someone not knowing the rules might be doing it, but someone in charge would hopefully tell them. Maybe with the new upgrades they will put doors on them, which should have been done all along. 

I thought the R ships did have doors on the smoking room?

Too bad they did not carry that over to the O class ships

• Like 1

Just now, LHT28 said:

I thought the R ships did have doors on the smoking room?

Too bad they did not carry that over to the O class ships

I believe they do but I think it was a retro fit. 

On 4/13/2022 at 7:12 AM, LHT28 said:

YIKES😲

If that is their carpet choice   will have to sail on another ship

That is almost as bad as the Azamara  carpets

Based on the stateroom photos in the 2024 cruise brochure, it's only the Penthouse that suffers from Zebra carpeting. 🦓🦓🦓

But the Oceania suite carpeting is striped, but looks subtle.  

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Then you had better stay away from Spaccanapoli, Silversea's gourmet pizza restaurants on four of its ships.  They offer pizza from late morning through late evening.  Going to cost you more than $500-$1,000 a day though...

The concept that Pizza is somehow gourmet is....to me laughable      Puck took it to the Hollywood scene and made it a rage  but it is still  italian  fast food...Loading it up with all sorts of  junk is like the burgers today...towers of garbage on a bun..    

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Based on the stateroom photos in the 2024 cruise brochure, it's only the Penthouse that suffers from Zebra carpeting. 🦓🦓🦓

But the Oceania suite carpeting is striped, but looks subtle.  

Hopefully that is the case

We do not book either Categories  so the A & B cabins may be safe 😉

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

Yeah, that striped carpet makes me glad I quit sniffing glue, or is it that I picked the wrong day to quit. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Hopefully that is the case

We do not book either Categories  so the A & B cabins may be safe 😉

You should look at the photos of the staterooms in the 2024 cruise offerings pdf.  They are mock ups, but the carpeting, while not as bizarre as in the PHs, is quite...shall we say...quite interesting.

• Haha 1

All this talk about different French cuisines and terroir reminds me that my Rheumatologist always says "Chacun a son gout – and there's a pill for that!"  [PS, my Rheumatologist is Michael Flanders...]  

But seriously, Jacques is a great name for a French restaurant even without Chef Pepin's involvement [if Oceania owns the trademark], and if a new generation never knew he existed they wouldn't wonder why the restaurant had that name.

On the subject of pizza: one afternoon coming back to Riviera from a tiring shore excursion, the fresh pizza at the Terrace cafe was just the thing.  I didn't "go on this cruise to eat pizza," but at that moment a good pizza was exactly what I wanted.  And, it was as good as it looked and went very nicely with a Heineken [which isn't my normal choice of malt/hops refreshment, but again at that moment it was just right too].  Horses for courses...

• Like 4

On 4/13/2022 at 11:42 PM, chloemonkey said:

Might we inquire as to which dates you cancelled?  Maybe you just allowed some of us to clear the Wait Lists.

Marina  Nov 2023  Rome-LIs/Lis Mia PH2 both cruises.      in addition to the snooty new ambiance these will be the first cruise after leaving drydock  and not  everything will be working I suspect.........    

18 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

All this talk about different French cuisines and terroir reminds me that my Rheumatologist always says "Chacun a son gout – and there's a pill for that!"  [PS, my Rheumatologist is Michael Flanders...]  

But seriously, Jacques is a great name for a French restaurant even without Chef Pepin's involvement [if Oceania owns the trademark], and if a new generation never knew he existed they wouldn't wonder why the restaurant had that name.

On the subject of pizza: one afternoon coming back to Riviera from a tiring shore excursion, the fresh pizza at the Terrace cafe was just the thing.  I didn't "go on this cruise to eat pizza," but at that moment a good pizza was exactly what I wanted.  And, it was as good as it looked and went very nicely with a Heineken [which isn't my normal choice of malt/hops refreshment, but again at that moment it was just right too].  Horses for courses...

It can be I guess the right thing at the time   grab at the Terrace..... but to dedicate a whole venue to it???   ...........Thats a bit much.

I agree   Jaques is a excellent generic French name...  Then there is always Piere's ... bit  somehow not the same .    How about a Austrian/ German restaurant?      and not Adolphs !!!!    Or a New orleans style seafood place.  " Lafitte's"    ( gumbo  oysters, etoffes,,    stuff like that

I am amused at the attraction of Italina, and somehow think its attraction is that  much of the country  dosen't have an Italian presence like the east coast and west coast...    Not many Italians in Kansas or South Dakota or Alabama and Wyoming.    So, for much of America and maybe Canada too ,it would be an adventure they can not get easily/   .  Just a thought I had............

Canada has a very large Italian diaspora from West Coast to East. Toronto has the fourth largest Italian population outside of Italy. Please to do lump us into the group that think Olive Garden is Italian cuisine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 4/13/2022 at 2:35 PM, pinotlover said:

Reservations open May 4, 2022 at 9:00 am Eastern.

Someone in this forum suggested they had a copy of the 2024 booklet? We would very, very much like to get one ASAP to set up our reservations with our TA. On May 4th we will be in Istanbul waiting to get on the Sirena!

BTW, we do trust Oceania's good taste (not just in dining) as their redos of the R Ships were very nicely done.

35 minutes ago, ChadnKate said:

Someone in this forum suggested they had a copy of the 2024 booklet? We would very, very much like to get one ASAP to set up our reservations with our TA. On May 4th we will be in Istanbul waiting to get on the Sirena!

BTW, we do trust Oceania's good taste (not just in dining) as their redos of the R Ships were very nicely done.

Just checked O website.  Only the 2024 World Cruise, and Grand Voyages 2023-2024 are listed as available.

Still booked on January 18, 2023 but looking at 2024 options too , just in case it “hits the fan again”.

May 4 the new itineraries open for sale. I guess we will all be pouring through the on line brochure to find that perfect cruise vacation. 🛳👍🙏🤞

Mauibabes

5 hours ago, ChadnKate said:

See post #48 on this thread.  I would have posted the direct link, but I wasn't able to.

Got the big book with 2024 cruises in the mail sometime last week. Perhaps some are those that opt out to not get mailings. Over 200 pages, lot's of pictures of the new designs for Marina and Riviera.