Quantum Main Dining

I have not been on Quantum class yet. It's my understanding that instead of a main DR, there are 4 different restaurants involved for traditional dining.

I am selecting traditional dining. How does this work with the 4 restaurants? Do I pick 1 each night? Are they assigned to me? Is the wait staff different every night along with different tablemates? One thing we enjoy about cruising is having the same wait staff & table mates each night (I'm still old school). Sounds like I will be trying something different on Quantum class, even though it is still traditional as opposed to My Time.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Traditional dining is assigned to either Chic or The Grande and you will have the same table, same waitstaff each night.  My Time dining is in American Icon or Silk.

FYI - Quantum class was designed for the now defunct "Dynamic Dining"* concept.

* Different venues, different menus, no fixed times.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Thanks 1

Our only RCI cruise so far was Quantums last 'real' cruise from China to Singapore,beautiful ship,we ate in Chops the first night,good food & service but disappointing portion sizes,American Icon the second night,lousy service,disappointing food quality & portions,after that we had all our meals in the buffet,we usually ate outside at the stern enjoying either the sun or some amazing lightning after dark!

Just now, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

There is no rotation or changing of restaurants. I assume that was the Dynamic back when it was in place?

The rotation was a later optional version DD to try to appease the traditionalists.

9 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

So they are not 4 different restaurants with different menus as the concept of Dynamic Dining was, but they are now just 4 different dining rooms with the same menus per night.

Correct.

* Agree with Biker19...The Grande was originally designed as the formal dining room...so if you prefer the decor or ambience to look and feel more formal, ask to be assigned to the Grande. The Silk restaurant also has nice ambience...yes, same menu.

20 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

So they are not 4 different restaurants with different menus as the concept of Dynamic Dining was, but they are now just 4 different dining rooms with the same menus per night.

Just think of it as being like the ships you have been on, with a three-level dining room.  One level is for My Time Dining and two levels are for traditional dining. 

Quantum has four rooms.  Two of them are for My Time Dining and two are for traditional dining.

It's that simple.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

Just think of it as being like the ships you have been on, with a three-level dining room.  One level is for My Time Dining and two levels are for traditional dining. 

Quantum has four rooms.  Two of them are for My Time Dining and two are for traditional dining.

It's that simple.

Except they did have over flow traditional in a 3rd dining room.  😄  That may no longer apply now that mandates (social distancing) have been relaxed.

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Except they did have over flow traditional in a 3rd dining room.  😄  That may no longer apply now that mandates (social distancing) have been relaxed.

It was meant to be a generic comparison.  🙂 

On Anthem, Quantum class, we were assigned American Icon for our early seating of Traditional dining, 530 pm.   

Same waitstaff every night.  

Each of the 4 restaurants has the same menu they are simply decorated different.

When you board your seapass will show your dining room assignment and table number.    We like to check out table location after boarding.   Easier to change it then to wait to dinnertime.

On 4/18/2022 at 5:49 PM, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

Now that I've been on the Celebrity Edge, I'm not sure why Dynamic Dinning didn't work.  I loved the concept on the Edge.  No seating times, all "My Time" the 4 restaurants are themed and all 4 share the same changing nightly main dinning menu and classic dishes but then each has 3 or 4 dishes for starters and entrees that don't change(stay the same the whole week) but fit the theme of that specific restaurant. I thought that was a great concept.  Not sure if thats what Dynamic Dinning was, but it seemed to work well on the Edge Class.

24 minutes ago, whitshel said:

Now that I've been on the Celebrity Edge, I'm not sure why Dynamic Dinning didn't work.  I loved the concept on the Edge.  No seating times, all "My Time" the 4 restaurants are themed and all 4 share the same changing nightly main dinning menu and classic dishes but then each has 3 or 4 dishes for starters and entrees that don't change(stay the same the whole week) but fit the theme of that specific restaurant. I thought that was a great concept.  Not sure if thats what Dynamic Dinning was, but it seemed to work well on the Edge Class.

Yes, 4 restaurants with own theme and specific menus, small amount of items common on all menus, great for those that liked it(we were in the minority)

33 minutes ago, CanadaRob said:

Yes, 4 restaurants with own theme and specific menus, small amount of items common on all menus, great for those that liked it(we were in the minority)

Kinda sounds opposite of the Edge, these all shared the same main dinning room menu with 3 or 4 items that were specific to each themed restaurant. 

38 minutes ago, CanadaRob said:

I don't believe we were in the minority.  I believe that a few were very loud and aggressive in their opposition.

14 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I don't believe we were in the minority.  I believe that a few were very loud and aggressive in their opposition.

I liked the different venues with different menus.  What I didn't like was the garage, bug-ridden reservation system while trying to coordinate dinner with shows (also required reservations).  Of course, that may have improved after the first sailing (Quantum TA Nov 2-10, 2014).

On my next sailing (Anthem TA Oct 27 to Nov 4, 2015), I chose Dynamic Dining Classic (fixed time, same table, same waitstaff but rotated through each venue).  I really liked that.

I think part of the issue was that The Grande was always formal (men had to wear a jacket), so reservations probably didn't balance out too well across the four venues.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for asking about this OP.  We are sailing on the Quantum on an Alaskan cruise in July 2023.  We are all family and have 16 of us on board, all early traditional seating.  I'm guessing we'll be split into two tables.

Looks like we'll probably be in the Grande or Chic based on the fact that we're traditional dining.  The Grande probably suits our style best anyway.

Have you folks had luck requesting a specific dining room with the  maître d' once you board on embarkation day?  Otherwise I'll probably email rccl with my dining request a couple of weeks prior to our cruise, which I've done before.

Thanks,
Dan

3 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thanks for asking about this OP.  We are sailing on the Quantum on an Alaskan cruise in July 2023.  We are all family and have 16 of us on board, all early traditional seating.  I'm guessing we'll be split into two tables.

Looks like we'll probably be in the Grande or Chic based on the fact that we're traditional dining.  The Grande probably suits our style best anyway.

Have you folks had luck requesting a specific dining room with the  maître d' once you board on embarkation day?  Otherwise I'll probably email rccl with my dining request a couple of weeks prior to our cruise, which I've done before.

Thanks,
Dan

We were on Quantum a few weeks ago.  We picked late traditional when we booked.  About two weeks before our cruise I emailed rc dining requesting a table for six in the Grande.  We received a conformation that our request was granted and also were given our table number. Ended up with great table mates who all enjoyed a loooong dinner. The Grande is a very nice venue, happy cruising

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2022 at 2:10 PM, Another_Critic said:

I liked the different venues with different menus.  What I didn't like was the garage, bug-ridden reservation system while trying to coordinate dinner with shows (also required reservations).  Of course, that may have improved after the first sailing (Quantum TA Nov 2-10, 2014).

On my next sailing (Anthem TA Oct 27 to Nov 4, 2015), I chose Dynamic Dining Classic (fixed time, same table, same waitstaff but rotated through each venue).  I really liked that.

I think part of the issue was that The Grande was always formal (men had to wear a jacket), so reservations probably didn't balance out too well across the four venues.

I also liked the DD idea.  I do believe that the failure of DD was a combination of the vocal minority and a poorly executed reservation system.

I was on Anthem last week.  We had made reservations for the same time each night prior to sailing.  We did cancel 3 evenings onboard for specialty dining.  Three nights we had the same table in American Icon.  One night, we were given a table in Chic, and the other night we were seated in Grande.  Go figure.