From 1st May no complimentary Pre Boarding Covid tests

suttonrunner

I would believe you could use the Emed antigen self test that is proctored and do them the day before boarding from your hotel. You can use your phone, iPad or computer to arrange for the test to be supervised. The results are immediate with documentation sent to your email. If the US still requires a negative test to return in May, our plan was to use those. 

14 minutes ago, PirateWife said:

One more charge from Azamara. This really doesn't work flying from the US west coast and arriving one day before the cruise. In order for us to get tested, we have to drive 70+ miles to a larger city. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, uktog said:

Great, more expense and hassle pushed over to us for our next cruise.

Do they really think we believe the statement "in the interests of welcoming you onboard and starting your voyage as quickly as possible....."  We all know the real reason

The key phrase here seems to be "Boarding will be denied to those guests who cannot provide a negative COVID-19 test". 

My understanding is, prior to May 1, embarkation testing is administered by Azamara. And as their website says, "If you test positive for COVID-19 at the terminal, Azamara will cover travel change fees and accommodation expenses not covered by travel insurance, upon presentation of proof of a negative antigen or PCR COVID test prior to travel." Starting May 1st, Azamara doesn't do embarkation testing anymore - they just need to see negative test result, so they do not bear responsibility for those who fail to provide negative test. 100% FCC, that's it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, uktog said:

Good point, can I bring my NHS Antigen test and do it in front of them, we might have two spare at the time of our cruise.  Its exactly the same test that they use.........  I am really not prepared to lose some planned sight seeing time at our point of embarkation.  

American Queen stopped providing testing earlier this year and had to reverse their decision in weeks due to customer backlash.  I wonder if the same will apply here......

I wished! lol

Considering countries no longer require testing to enter (At least on the ones I am visiting) , this test is 100% a CL demand. If they were paying for it, fine, but not to spring it now as they have.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, andrcan said:

The key phrase here seems to be "Boarding will be denied to those guests who cannot provide a negative COVID-19 test". 

My understanding is, prior to May 1, embarkation testing is administered by Azamara. And as their website says, "If you test positive for COVID-19 at the terminal, Azamara will cover travel change fees and accommodation expenses not covered by travel insurance, upon presentation of proof of a negative antigen or PCR COVID test prior to travel." Starting May 1st, Azamara doesn't do embarkation testing anymore - they just need to see negative test result, so they do not bear responsibility for those who fail to provide negative test. 100% FCC, that's it.

Not quite, up to now I could travel with no test and if I tested negative at the pier my insurers would look after me.  (I did  test before travelling but they were free self tests).  Azamara then arranged and paid for my boarding test.  Now I have to organise and pay for the immediate pre boarding tests, which Azamara previously did.  Thats a big difference

These new rules may have no inconvenience for guests from countries where there is a requirement to test before travelling however, that is not the case for many guests and is likely to be the case for even less guests in the future.  Also several of the test sites, especially those near airports are closing down as tests are no longer needed to travel.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Great, more expense and hassle pushed over to us for our next cruise.

Do they really think we believe the statement "in the interests of welcoming you onboard and starting your voyage as quickly as possible....."  We all know the real reason

This really is short notice and would be an additional layer if stress for us.

We tested before our Quest cruise before we left Canada for our own piece of mind but difference the cost of an antigen test and the PCR test is substantial.

Anyone wanting to stay over a night or two in the city in which you embark would require the extra cost of the PCR to allow for the 72 hours.

My hope is that Azamara will revisit this decision for anyone booked before May 1st and begin with the new policy for any bookings after May 1st...it's only fair.  

Edited by Ayden
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, uktog said:

Not quite, up to now I could travel with no test and if I tested negative at the pier my insurers would look after me.  (I did  test before travelling but they were free self tests).  Azamara then arranged and paid for my boarding test.  Now I have to organise and pay for the immediate pre boarding tests, which Azamara previously did.  Thats a big difference

These new rules may have no inconvenience for guests from countries where there is a requirement to test before travelling however, that is not the case for many guests and is likely to be the case for even less guests in the future.  Also several of the test sites, especially those near airports are closing down as tests are no longer needed to travel.  

I see. I have to get tested to board the plane anyway (that may be over soon). However, I'm thinking about traveling on my own for a few days prior to AZ cruise - and in that case, I need to plan and pay for another COVID test.

9 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

The May 2nd Onward cruise boards on a Monday.  If we get PCR tests on Friday in U.S. will those results be valid for boarding.?

That should be OK but as It specifies 72 hours (not 3 days) I would make sure the covid test on Friday was within 72 hours of  boarding  time.  If you are boarding at 2pm then I would  have the covid test  sometime after 2pm in the USA just in case.

Not good, at such short notice and now causing uncertainty. 

It was my intention to self test 48 hours before I travel. I have lateral flow kits that I put aside for this purpose. This would give me a certain amount of confidence when testing at the port.

As my flight leaves from the UK at 6.15 am and the airport testing site doesn't`t open until 7am it now means I have to make a round trip of 74 miles to be tested.

Ok, I could test at home but there is, in my opinion, uncertainty around that. Will I receive my results in time for next day departure? I like certainties.

This is just an example of Azamara cost saving and not at all to assist in swifter boarding.

Extremely disappointed.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, suttonrunner said:

That should be OK but as It specifies 72 hours (not 3 days) I would make sure the covid test on Friday was within 72 hours of  boarding  time.  If you are boarding at 2pm then I would  have the covid test  sometime after 2pm in the USA just in case.

Don't forget about the time change, which from North America can work to our benefit :-)  It really has thrown a wrench into plans...do we now need two tests: 1) RAT to get on the plane, 2) PCR to get on the ship 3 days later!  To be honest, I'd rather get the test at home so we don't spend precious time in Monaco trying to find an open pharmacy standing in line to get it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, suttonrunner said:

I am hoping the 3 day rule will apply. With flight time and 6 hour time difference no way I would be under 72 hours.

1 minute ago, roberts2005 said:

I am hoping the 3 day rule will apply. With flight time and 6 hour time difference no way I would be under 72 hours.

Me too!   It seems extremely complicated  indeed with the time changes too!  Yes it would have been easier if they had specified 3 days rather than 72 hours for the PCR test.  As, after all, the lateral flow test is specified as having to have the  test within one day rather than 24 hours.  I don't know the answer - it is mind boggling.  At my last test when I needed a 'fit to fly'  the test centre wanted to know my  exact flight time to ensure I was within the time frame 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, les37b said:

Azamara Testing Requirements

• Voyages starting May 1: In the interest of welcoming you onboard and starting your voyage as quickly as possible, guests will no longer be required to undergo a COVID-19 antigen test while checking in at the terminal. However, to strive for a COVID-19 free environment, guests will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test upon embarkation. The COVID-19 test can either be:
    • PCR: Test date no older than 72 hours prior to embarkation; OR
    • Antigen: Test date must be within one day of embarkation
  • Antigen COVID-19 testing is available for $59 USD in the terminal or on the boarding deck.
  • Boarding will be denied to those guests who cannot provide a negative COVID-19 test.
    • Prior to Disembarking: Guests who are required to take a COVID-19 test before returning home can do so onboard for $59 USD for Antigen and $85 USD for PCR. For more information, please contact Guest Relations while onboard.
  • Guests that have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 90 days should present the third-party testing provider with the following:
    • A paper or electronic copy of the guest's previous positive viral test result (dated no more than 90 days ago), and
    • A signed letter, on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official, stating that the guest was cleared to end isolation.
  • Having a recovery letter does not negate our vaccination requirements, and we highly encourage those guests who are eligible to receive a booster shot.
  • Although many of our guests are COVID-19 tested as a prerequisite to travel to the ship, for those guests that do not have this requirement (for instance US domestic travel, inter-EU travel, or those driving to the port), we strongly recommend all guests take a COVID-19 self-test at home prior to traveling.

$59 for a £1 test is a bit steep IMHO !

My cruise we are flying out to Lisbon on Monday the 6th June at 9am for the cruise on the 7th, meaning we need to locate a testing centre open on the Sunday 5th June for a PCR. The place Ive used in the past, isn't open on Sundays. I know Azamara are not the only line on this gravy train, but it's pretty annoying. I've several trips coming up, that I will be away for a few days before, so this is becoming a logistic nightmare.

Thanks for sharing. This is annoying because Azamara is still requesting the pre boarding test only in this case the guests have to pay it themselves. It makes things more difficult for guests because now we will have to look for a place for a test in a foreign country to meet this requirement. Instead of trying to facilitate things to attract more guests, Azamara comes with this decision on a short notice. Who makes this decisions?

Ivi

• Like 5

Thank you for sharing the Covid testing info.  It is definitely a big strike against Azamara. We have sailed with them many times, but changing the benefits after booking is a no-no.  To tell customers that they can get testing at the cruise port for 59 euros is ridiculous. The price should be less than half of that price. I also read that some lower category suite guests are now being told they can’t use the special Spa area provided for suite guests. They are definitely going to lose loyal customers by cutting what we were told would be provided with our booking. We have not even received any notification from Azamara and we sail on May 8. Very disappointed indeed if this is true. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lisiamc said:

We also have not had any emails on this topic at all.  I did find a page talking about Italy needing a test within X many hours prior to arrival, but that’s out of date. I’ve been able to piece a plan together based on what I’m reading here.  Added to the fact that we still can’t check in on line, it seems that communication is not their strong suit at the moment!

It's been sent to agents today

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

Well I’m glad I ordered six eMed test kits for our Europe trip (two cruises and the trip home to US).  I would have only needed four before this came out.  They got here yesterday.  

have you used them overseas before.  I got the package but concerned how it will work in Europe 

7 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

1 minute ago, roberts2005 said:

have you used them overseas before.  I got the package but concerned how it will work in Europe 

I haven’t used them at all before.  We have used CVS/Walgreens here for our US cruise departures.  I understand you just need good internet and I think we have that covered at our hotels over there.  We’ve done many self tests with these exact kits.

15 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

We have used them in Europe, last year to return to the US.  Very easy to do

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

Well I’m glad I ordered six eMed test kits for our Europe trip (two cruises and the trip home to US).  I would have only needed four before this came out.  They got here yesterday.  

I do not think self tests are accepted. Are your kits for self testing?

Ivi

Besides the inconvenience and additional cost of something that was included when we booked and paid, this new policy, this dramatically reduces safety for all passengers.  People who test negative 72 hours before boarding, and then traveling to the ship, could well become positive and asymptomatic and they would still be allowed to board.  If Azamara is not going to  require everyone to test negative at the time of boarding, they might as well do away with any requirement for testing, IMHO.  There would still be the requirement for everyone to be vaccinated.

• Like 8

Looks like Azamara are following Royal Caribbean who introduced the same protocols for European cruises by way of an e mail to customers on Monday. If cruise companies want to introduce new protocols they should at least pay for them in the case of existing bookings. Testing 72 hours before cruising seems pretty pointless. 

• Like 4