Mariner of the Sea hit by another Ship in port at Grand Bahama Island

I’m currently on board Mariner in an aft facing cabin. Our itinerary changed from a sea day to having today at Grand Bahama Island for maintenance. We are alongside the main dock. 

Just watched a smaller cargo ship, Tropic Freedom, come alongside the edge of the wharf at a good speed, hit the concrete edge of the wharf and then crashed right into our stern. It is now lodged into Mariner. 

From Deck 7 I can see a hole in the railing on deck 5 where the bridge wing of the other ship has cut into us. It made a mighty noise and a big shudder. Not sure how much damage is below below deck 5.

Captain has announced all is ok and will give us updates. At this stage the other ship is still stuck in us with a tug boat keeping it in place. Pilot boats around and lots of activity. Will update when we hear further. 

FF3EA3E9-847E-4ABF-A560-D51CE2D2564F.jpeg

2257FEFC-843E-4828-A428-9723E1B6E8A2.jpeg

F1889542-6BF2-4831-B9A6-A4185DB81C9C.jpeg

• Thanks 8

Ok so they have pulled the smaller ship out of our stern. Their bridge wing suffered good damage which is what cause the hole in our deck 5. 

Still not sure if we have any other damage other than the deck 5 railing area. But at least now they can investigate it fully. 

No further updates as to any changes in itinerary but will advise.  

34E56A4D-B5DB-41CC-A97C-989BDE966B5B.jpeg

30EBA465-E723-4836-93A3-990CDB827A2A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, trisha1165 said:

I'm booked for 4/28/22! 😟

Ditto.  They just sent out an itinerary update adding Grand Bahamas Island back to our itinerary today, replacing our only Sea Day, too.  Stated due to regularly scheduled ship maintenance...so I guess they weren't wrong.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

Unfortunately i think you should start making back up plans….

I don’t think people should make back up plans!! There is a team of people working hard on this already and I am sure Royal would be doing everything to have this inspected and repaired in the absolute shortest time possible. I am on a BTB at the end of this cruise and I have no concerns. I trust Royal and am sure it will all be fine. We are in the right spot for any maintenance to be done and get this fixed in the shortest stone possible. 

• Like 8

Looking at the damage i would say it is not structural and will be fine for rhe upcoming cruises. Rcl will work on making the area safe and repair at sea. 

However that is only the damage we can see, may be more damage out of shot. But it will be fine for sailings i think

• Like 1