Winetaster's Dinner vs Chef's Table - your thoughts

West Coast Gal

I am about to embark on a cruise and would like to do one of these special dinners, but I have no concept what the difference is between the two.  I have done Chef's Table preCovid but never the Winetaster's Dinner.  I do know that you need to book the day you get onboard, as soon as possible.  Please share your knowledge! AND Thank you in advance!

I’ve enjoyed five Chef Tables ($95-$115) & even more Winemakers Dinners ($40)…have you also considered the Ultimate Balcony Dinner ($100/couple with nearly $100 in extras…cocktails, wine, photo, flowers) once it resumes.

I’m attaching photos of the menu & Wine Cellar located in both midship dining rooms only on Royal-class ships.

To me the CT is grandiose and the WM Dinner is not as extravagant with a great meal, service & free-flowing wine. If merely considering price it’s possible to go to nearly three WM Dinners for the price of one CT. It’s only $11 more than the CG & in my opinion the WM Dinner is a better experience although with a fixed menu.

On every Royal-class cruise we go to the WM Dinner except for recently on Discovery where the WMD & CT were not available (lack of wine & delayed shipment of special tableware) nor was the UBD (crew shortage & not having crew in cabins for more than 15 minutes).

image.thumb.jpeg.2e4982628f212d08851f12dcafb5f448.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.96256ba2cf75468d825c8696751ab7fe.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.e88eb831c1d8f19c2559531236469483.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20220313_194737.thumb.jpg.bd3dc08a75a5a2792840c52032a54d5d.jpg

A good time was had by all. The food pairings were wonderful. On the Majestic, the chef came out and explained the dish and answered questions. A total of six varietals were served to me. The event was almost two hours and the entertainment factor was worth the price of admission. Hope you get in. 

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 2

At the Chef's Dinner, are they still doing the men get a cookbook and women get a rose?  Sexist...everyone pays the same amount; Princess can afford one cookbook per person.  I know I only need one but it's the principle of it.  I like to give extras as gifts or donate them to charities for silent auctions or for thrift shops.

25 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

So what do you need to do to get into the winemaker's dinner? I'm leaving on the Majestic tomorrow.

As soon as possible after boarding I call the DINE line to request it.

Another way is to request it from a restaurant manager (formally headwaiter) in the dining room serving embarkation lunch between noon & 1330. Both have worked for me & received it on all cruises where it’s available. Have read posts of going to Guest Services to request it there but have never tried it. Like the Chef’s Table participation is limited to 12 guests so I would request it ASAP.

Edited by Astro Flyer

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

As soon as possible after boarding I call the DINE line to request it.

Another way is to request it from a restaurant manager (formally headwaiter) in the dining room serving embarkation lunch between noon & 1330. Both have worked for me & received it on all cruises where it’s available. Have read posts of going to Guest Services to request it there but have never tried it. Like the Chef’s Table participation is limited to 12 guests so I would request it ASAP.

Thanks, what days are they usually held on? Assuming not formal night?

Can only comment on the Winetasters Dinner...have not done the Chefs Table.  As mentioned above...big difference in price and to be honest, we thought the WT Dinner was extremely good.  We did it on a transatlantic and I believe there were actually 2 or 3 evenings that both were offered due to the many sea days.  I don't think you would be disappointed with the WT Dinner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

Thanks, what days are they usually held on? Assuming not formal night?

Unfortunately you don’t know the date until receiving an invitation & have been told it’s the maître d’ who decides when it will be served.

• Thanks 1

We did both on Majestic in March.  Both were lovely, but Chef's Table pulls out all the stops with the Lumiere table, centerpiece and the most intricate dessert I've every seen.  CF used to start in the galley and I'm glad they stopped that part.  I'd do both if possible, but either one is great.

As for the cookbooks, I told the restaurant manager we didn't want one, so I left it in the cabin when we disembarked.  Those things are heavy and one is enough!

On 4/22/2022 at 10:49 AM, memoak said:

The chefs table portions are way to big in my opinion. Will not do one again plus I already have tons of cookbooks

Still bummed that I didn’t get a cookbook at mine!