Oysters have returned in the Steakhouse (on the Liberty at least)

Tom-n-Cheryl

After being seated last night in the Steakhouse we were informed that the oyster starter was available again (but had not been added back on the menu. It's the first time we've seen that offered since the restart (out of 6 Carnival cruises).

WOO HOO

i-XnxGBMt-X2.jpg

Tom

• Like 1

What's the story with the shaving cream on top of them, my wife and I have never done the steakhouse - it's not the money it's just way too much food for us and we don't want to waste much of a meal that everyone says is so delicious.

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

What's the story with the shaving cream on top of them, my wife and I have never done the steakhouse - it's not the money it's just way too much food for us and we don't want to waste much of a meal that everyone says is so delicious.

As I recall, it's a champagne foam.

We often skip courses (no dessert last night for example).

Tom

35 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Is this "smoked" oysters, right, when the bring it out under a cloche with smoke in it?

If so, they had it on the Sunrise 3 weeks ago too.

Yes.

I guess it's just "as available", but probably too infrequently as to merit adding it back onto the menu - and having to continually tell people they don't have them.

Tom

14 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Yes.

I guess it's just "as available", but probably too infrequently as to merit adding it back onto the menu - and having to continually tell people they don't have them.

Tom

Just checked, and it's back on the menu. 😁

I believe it was on our menu too.  When I saw them walk by with an order for someone, I put two and two together having seen it on the menu.  That's the only reason I knew what you were talking about lol.  We wouldn't particularly care for those.

I will say I was very disappointed thought that when I ordered the Wagu Beef they said they were out of that.

2 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I will say I was very disappointed thought that when I ordered the Wagu Beef they said they were out of that.

In my opinion, you didn't miss anything. I've tried it twice and was not wowed either time.

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

In my opinion, you didn't miss anything. I've tried it twice and was not wowed either time.

Tom

Yes I thought they were awful. For sure not something I'd ever eat again. 

The pork belly appetizer was better in JiJis. 

They had them on vista last sept .. wasnt aware they were gone. Thank goodness. 

The foam is gross to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes I thought they were awful. For sure not something I'd ever eat again. 

The pork belly appetizer was better in JiJis. 

They had them on vista last sept .. wasnt aware they were gone. Thank goodness. 

The foam is gross to me.

Our DIL who loves oysters thought the same.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
5 hours ago, mondello said:

@firefly333 didn't care for the foam presentation and wondered why you'd ruin perfectly good oysters?

i-XnxGBMt-X2.jpg

Agree, I'm into the pink powder puffy things, just not on my oysters😎

On 4/23/2022 at 2:24 PM, mondello said:

@firefly333 didn't care for the foam presentation and wondered why you'd ruin perfectly good oysters?

I didn't care for them much either when I had them, they were interesting but just give me some lemon or mignonette and I'm good. Kinda of a waste of a appetizer when you can get them at the seafood shack on the half shell in proper form.  

On 4/23/2022 at 9:46 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

The Seafood Shack has them back as well. Lunch tomorrow!

Update to this... while they did have them (@ $1.75 ea) I asked if they had crackers. I should have known better, a couple of years ago I asked this same question and got that deer in the headlights reply. I "assumed" that, since I had brought that up in a post cruise survey, of course Carnival would see the error of their ways and provide crackers fleetwide for oyster fans... uh huh 😉 

Perhaps it's just me, but for raw oysters it's a 1:1 cracker/oyster ratio  with cocktail sauce. I've never been the slurp-it-down right out of the shell kind of guy.

I did mention this shortcoming to the food manager at the Diamond event on Sunday and, while he took notes, next month I'll bring some just in case they still have oysters, but no crackers. I don't know - do they crackers (saltine type) elsewhere onboard that I could grab? I can't recall seeing any.

🙂

Tom

11 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

I didn't know Oysters went away.  They were available on Mardi Gras in November and Miracle in February.

They were nowhere to be found on the Freedom at Christmas, Liberty 3/11, nor Liberty 3/25 -- so when I saw them again for our 4/22 sailing, it caught my attention.

The food manager did say that they've had quite a supply issue with some things, oysters being one of them.

Tom

7 minutes ago, wsurrette2424 said:

Hmmm.  I'm not much of a raw oyster guy (Rockafella Please!) but I've never heard of raw oysters with crackers!

I'm a New Englander so maybe it's a southern thing!

Cheers!

Gusman

I guess we'll need to start a poll --- perhaps I actually WAS the only person onboard to want crackers with my oysters 🙂

Tom

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wsurrette2424 said:

Hmmm.  I'm not much of a raw oyster guy (Rockafella Please!) but I've never heard of raw oysters with crackers!

I'm a New Englander so maybe it's a southern thing!

Cheers!

Gusman

New one for me too! First I ever heard of this lol. I'm a slurp it off the shell purist. Lemon, lime, mignonette or hot sauce is all I would consider. I can crush a five dozen box by myself, especially Kumamotos or small Pacific's. The latter has been great lately, especially the ones from Mexico, they have been extra sweet lately.     

I started my oyster eating experience at Barnacle Bill's Oyster Bar (on North Monroe St) in Tallahassee probably 35 years ago. They always came with crackers, so I took the hint... now it's just the way I'm conditioned!

Just found the following (HERE )  :

Raw

Before you turn up your nose, hear me out. Raw oysters are like New Orleans's answer to sushi.

Even though there's technically not a right or wrong way to eat anything... Here's the right way to eat raw oysters: You don't eat the raw oysters by themselves! Almost every place that serves raw oysters will bring them out with three other items: Saltine crackers, cocktail sauce, and horse radish.  Take an oyster, put it on a cracker, add the cocktail sauce and a dab of horse radish on top, and eat it in one big, delicious bite.

In the interest of fair play, I found the following HEREThe challenge: Oysters without Saltines  )

For instance, I once was at a fancy club in Greenville, S.C., having dinner  when I experienced such. Before I go further, I’m not trying to impress you by saying I was at a “fancy” club. It was a company-sponsored thing. Otherwise, I would have been at Kentucky Fried Chicken.

This place was so fancy the waiters wore tuxedos.

There we sat at tables with real table cloths on them, and one of the penguins brought us raw oysters. I love raw oysters, especially steamed open on the half shell. So I looked around for some saltines and there weren’t any. Nor was there any Louisiana Hot Sauce.

I asked one of the waiters could he get us some saltines. He looked at me as if I was asking him permission to marry his daughter.

“Sir, we don’t serve saltines with our oysters,” he said with a bit of a tone.

So I asked, “Well, do you have any saltines back there anywhere that you are not using for anything else? And then he looked at me as if I had just told him his daughter really liked my pickup truck. So I knew what the answer was. No saltines.

Tom

• Haha 1