What should I be taking care of first thing on ship?

First NCL cruise, leaving on Joy Sunday out of Manhattan.

What should I rush to take care of when I get on the ship?

I have my specialty dining pre-booked but that’s it. It won’t allow me to pre book shows. Is that something I can do on the app once on board or will I have to go somewhere?

what other things do you do first thing and where do you go to do them?

you can book shows at the box office or via touch screen  when you get onboard. if you find that your preferred showtimes conflict with your pre-booked specialty dining reservations, try to rebook on Day 1. there is usually one restaurant desk set up for that, but most restaurants can handle it for you. want vibe passes? they sell out quickly. so try to buy those ASAP. do you have OBC and have been waiting to buy additional specialty dining packages or excursions? do that and charge it to the room so it consumes OBC (if you had done it before day 1, your credit card would have been charged).

Edited by UKstages

1 minute ago, UKstages said:
1 minute ago, UKstages said:

you can book shows at the box office or via touch screen  when you get onboard. if you find that your preferred showtimes conflict with your pre-booked specialty dining reservations, try to rebook on Day 1. there is usually one restaurant desk set up for that, but most restaurants can handle it for you. want vibe passes? they sell out quickly. so try to buy those ASAP. do you have OBC and have been waiting to buy additional specialty dining packages or excursions? do that and charge it to the room so it consumes OBC (if you had done it before day 1, your credit card would have been charged).

Where do they sell Vibe Passes typically? Guest services or another venue?

(1) Find your Muster Station and check-in

(2) Box Office and book your entertainment

(3) Restaruant Reservations Desk: Change and make dinner reservations

(4) Find something to eat and relax.

(5) Find a space to just watch people until your cabin is ready.

• Like 4

Make/change reservations as needed (covered by others).  The touchscreens by the stairs are REAL convenient for this!  If there's a tender port (you don't with the Bermuda itinerary but others finding this post might have one), book your tender ticket here as well.

Grab a drink, get lunch in either The Local (deck 7, above The Atrium) or one of the MDRs on deck 6 (Taste and Savor).  If you just want some "finger foods", check out the Observation Lounge (deck 15, forward).

Explore the ship, find all the venues, maybe decide which ones you want to find events in.  One of the people I met on my cruise in March didn't know about the District Brewhouse until night 6 when went there for music!

9 minutes ago, hallux said:

Make/change reservations as needed (covered by others).  The touchscreens by the stairs are REAL convenient for this!  If there's a tender port (you don't with the Bermuda itinerary but others finding this post might have one), book your tender ticket here as well.

NCL noob here. Are these touchscreens scattered around the ship, or are there only a few (and liable to be crowded at embarkment)?

Just now, SpacemanSpiff said:

NCL noob here. Are these touchscreens scattered around the ship, or are there only a few (and liable to be crowded at embarkment)?

they are scattered around and there is always two by the elevator bank on every deck. There is also touch screens by the box office area, and guest services

i think  youre way, way overthinking this. get to your cabin, unpack, get something to eat and drink, the shows arent going anywhere, and in 18ncl cruises, we've never been locked out because they were filled up. 

what i really suggest, is when you 1st meet your cabin steward, tell him/her what you would like for the duration of the cruise (i personally want extra bath towels)  and slip him/her a $20.

works for me, and works every time.

its even better if you book a haven then the conciege can take care of everything

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

There are two in every stair lobby (one port, one starboard, one stair lobby forward and one aft), making 4 on each deck.  They're not usually too crowded as many people don't realize they can be used for that purpose.

Edited by hallux

50 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

I think you can also make reservations for things using your tv. I was able to do that on the Breakaway.

Depends on the ship.  I was just on the Jewel and no access to your account on the TV. 

But there were replacement TVs outside many of the staterooms, so they were doing some sort of upgrade, so it may just be a matter of time.

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

i think  youre way, way overthinking this. get to your cabin, unpack, get something to eat and drink,

I think my buddy got this one backwards.  First, have a drink.  Then, get something to eat.  Then, after another drink or three, your cabin will likely be available for you to unpack/nap.  Wash, rinse, repeat....

• Like 2

If Vibe Beach Club is important to you, I think that is one of the first items of business.  We don't do the sun thing, so our first stop is the SPA!  Do your research before you go regarding your ship and the places you might be interested in, then check them out after you eat and before you get your luggage delivered to your room!  Never hurts to stop by a bar or two, if that suits!

Once you are in your room, check out the daily bulletin to see what makes you happy!

5 hours ago, Docbizarro said:

First NCL cruise, leaving on Joy Sunday out of Manhattan.

What should I rush to take care of when I get on the ship?

I have my specialty dining pre-booked but that’s it. It won’t allow me to pre book shows. Is that something I can do on the app once on board or will I have to go somewhere?

what other things do you do first thing and where do you go to do them?

As soon as you embark, go to The Social on Deck 6 mid-ship to book your entertainment. That includes Foot Loose and Elements in the main theater, comedy shows in the comedy club (early shows are family oriented, late shows are 18+). At this time, there are no showings of Wine Lovers the musical. You can also book Go Karts, Laser Tag, and Canvas by U painting classes.

Then, venture across the hall to Teppanyaki on Deck 6 Mid-Ship to book or change dinner reservations around the shows you just booked. 

We either head over to Taste/Savor on Deck 6 Aft for a seated lunch or up to the Garden Cafe Buffet on Deck 16 forward. 

Along the way or after lunch, go and check in at your muster station. 

Then just walk the ship. 

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Along the way or after lunch, go and check in at your muster station.

If they continue with the virtual muster drill using the pre-sailing video, the muster station is accomplished as soon as you board as they direct you to it right from the gangway...

• Like 2

I first go for something to eat. If you are on early enough, try the buffet before it gets crowded. If it is too  slammed, try the Observation lounge. Often those two venues are best on the first day. Then check your room, you may or may not see your steward.

I like to have a robe and coffee maker setup. You may need to request this from the steward, you can leave a note if you don't happen to see them. 

I also ask the steward to remove everything from my minifridge, so I don't get charged.  (I stay in standard cabins). 

If you have OBC (nonrefundable) book your dining or shorex. 

Provided they are open I like to go and have lunch in the MDR till rooms are open.

Usually not a lot of people so not crowded, get someone bring me a glass of wine and bring me lunch. I can put my carryon off to the side and not deal with it. 
It’s just my way to relax and decompress. (Depending on how embarkation goes that could be needed)