HAL Not providing onboard covid testing in Vancouver

7 minutes ago, shiner6 said:

wow! That is not much notice. We are scheduled for early July. Hope they notify us soon.

I just found out about this “on your own” testing requirement to fly back to US. I fly to Canada tomorrow before sunrise for embarkation this Saturday . I will work on scheduling rapid tests for us as close to Canada Place as possible. Three of us have 5:30p flights but my daughter is at 1:30p. 
😩

Edited by PoppyBanks

37 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

They have to be able to watch you - both hands - handling the testing materials as well as conducting the test.  Sure, I can prop the phone against something that will show my face, but you can't prop a phone tilted toward a table.  It tends to fall flat on it's face/camera. 

I'll take at least one eMed test with me and hope it works out.  If it doesn't, I'll have a backup plan to test at the airport.

Must say I'm now quite glad that I picked a late afternoon flight.  That should give me a lot more time - and less stress - to get it all handled.  Hopefully the security lines will be shorter in mid-afternoon on a Wednesday.

Grab one of these on Amazon for $12.99:

https://www.amazon.com/UBeesize-Portable-Flexible-Wireless-Recording/dp/B09MH2S99C/ref=sr_1_20?crid=1KXAO1E9WUC2X&keywords=iphone+stand+for+video+recording&qid=1651781608&sprefix=iphone+stan%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-20

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

There are lots of very inexpensive stands (<$20) that will hold your phone and allow you to do your test.

I’ve been very happy with this one, I travel everywhere with it. Very sturdy, swivel is firm, so it will stay put when you reposition it. Manfrotto PIXI Mini Tripod Kit with Smartphone Clamp, Black (MKPIXICLAMP-BK) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0169SORBO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0M5N59SNV6MEWW64B5T0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I have also not received an email regarding this for our land first cruise at the end of August.  I spoke with a HAL rep who said that yes, no one debarking in Vancouver will be tested "for reasons beyond their control".  I asked her if HAL was still doing the tests at the beginning of our trip since we will be in Denali the first 2 days prior to boarding the ship.   Interestingly, she said yes, they will be doing those tests.  

Also, just an FYI, someone has posted a link to CVM Medical (at the airport).  I did a dummy test to set up a time and you have to pay for it at the time of booking.  (It is refundable if contacted prior to the time.)  It is, however, in Canadian money.   What is the US equivalent of $79CD?  

For the person concerned about setting up their phone to do the test, buy a selfie-stick.  We just purchased this one for $20 on Amazon.  It folds up to about 7-8" and opens as a tripod.  The end where the phone sits is moveable.  You can probably even find one cheaper.        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K7MSV25?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

17 minutes ago, 54Carol said:

I have also not received an email regarding this for our land first cruise at the end of August.  I spoke with a HAL rep who said that yes, no one debarking in Vancouver will be tested "for reasons beyond their control".  I asked her if HAL was still doing the tests at the beginning of our trip since we will be in Denali the first 2 days prior to boarding the ship.   Interestingly, she said yes, they will be doing those tests.  

Also, just an FYI, someone has posted a link to CVM Medical (at the airport).  I did a dummy test to set up a time and you have to pay for it at the time of booking.  (It is refundable if contacted prior to the time.)  It is, however, in Canadian money.   What is the US equivalent of $79CD?  

For the person concerned about setting up their phone to do the test, buy a selfie-stick.  We just purchased this one for $20 on Amazon.  It folds up to about 7-8" and opens as a tripod.  The end where the phone sits is moveable.  You can probably even find one cheaper.        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K7MSV25?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

$61.50

• Like 1

I got that email this morning. We leave a week from tomorrow for our trip - I had my pre-cruise testing all set. We were planning on a leisurely day after disembarking in Vancouver and have a 7 AM flight the next morning. I just ordered both tests in the letter, hoping that the 5-7 day shipping isn't business days. I really don't want to spend my leisure time trying to schedule a test.

As others have said, it's the late notice that's super frustrating. I'm a planner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PoppyBanks said:

I just found out about this “on your own” testing requirement to fly back to US. I fly to Canada tomorrow before sunrise for embarkation this Saturday . I will work on scheduling rapid tests for us as close to Canada Place as possible. Three of us have 5:30p flights but my daughter is at 1:30p. 
😩

Try the convention center-they offer testing for $80 pp and are located in the Cruise Terminal area.

• Thanks 1

My main concerns with using the tele med for return trip after cruise is:  We return on a Saturday---how many tests will they be able to accommodate?   You may purchase the tests now, but will not be able to schedule an appointment until 2 weeks before.  How can you find out what times might be available?

Just saw on the Princess site that Princess has  also discontinued complimentary antigen testing in Vancouver for Americans flying back to the USA after an Alaskan cruise. What a mess. Please remember this has nothing to do with Canadian requirements. It is the USA who demands this testing. You can, however, cross the border by car without a test if you are vaccinated. Good luck to all. Looks like online proctored tests are the best bet if you have internet access.  

Thanks for the recommendations for a phone stand.  Turns out DD has one and is going to let me try it out.  At least with my current phone.   It's trying to die (of course, since I paid it off last year), but the phone I plan on buying before I sail to Alaska isn't a whole lot larger or heavier.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 54Carol said:

So if you use the on line testing, how do you print the results?   Do they accept 'seeing' the email?

Yes. Just flew back from LHR to US last Sunday. The email test result on my phone was fine, I did not need a printed version. 

Don't forget you also have to complete an "Attestation Form" (each airline seems to have their own link but I think the form is the same) when flying back to the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/ATTACHMENT-A-COMBINED-PASSENGER-DISCLOSURE-AND-ATTESTATION-4-4-2022-p.pdf

Edited by cruisemom42

Oh man cruise lines should really be trying to provide us with more information or links for testing.

I was very stressed and struggling to find a testing clinic for my upcoming cruise which makes the experience very stressful overall.
I found a clinic with a clinic that is right next to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver in the Convention Centre and booked my test there! Here is the link in case it may helpful to anyone: https://covid-medical.ca/covid-19-test-book-online/  The price was pretty decent as well! Hope it helps 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Don't forget you also have to complete an "Attestation Form" (each airline seems to have their own link but I think the form is the same) when flying back to the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/ATTACHMENT-A-COMBINED-PASSENGER-DISCLOSURE-AND-ATTESTATION-4-4-2022-p.pdf

Thanks.  Anything else besides the above, vaccine card, passport, drivers license?  First born?

Jeesh!  But you can drive over without all this hassle?  This is ridiculous!

• Like 1

I have been seeing this a lot lately with cruise lines, I was just mentioning in another forum that cruise lines should really be helping us more as cruisers providing us with more information or links for testing.

I was so stressed the other day trying to understand what test I needed because I though they was only one and turns out there are so many and we don't even know where to get it from. 
But I was able to find a clinic that is actually right next to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver which is soo helpful, its in the Vancouver Convention Centre and I booked my test there! Here is the link in case it may helpful to anyone: https://covid-medical.ca/covid-19-test-book-online/  The price was pretty good as well! Hope it helps 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, muffin said:

Just saw on the Princess site that Princess has  also discontinued complimentary antigen testing in Vancouver for Americans flying back to the USA after an Alaskan cruise. What a mess. Please remember this has nothing to do with Canadian requirements. It is the USA who demands this testing. You can, however, cross the border by car without a test if you are vaccinated. Good luck to all. Looks like online proctored tests are the best bet if you have internet access.  

Princess has been a bit shady for a while.  Back when we needed a pcr test they surprised people when they were close to getting off the ship saying there was a world wide shortage of them and good luck with that.  See ya wouldn’t want to be ya. I was at home at the time (in the city I live) and I paid to have a pcr test done without issue.  It’s so annoying when they use these phoney excuses.  Thanks for pointing out that it is absolutely the US government that is asking this.  I totally sympathize with USA residents but now they are getting a tiny taste of what we’ve been going through to cruise.  It’s not pleasant.

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

check the cdc website.  It appears to me that at this time a Covid test is required to fly into the US.  Of course, you could drive into it.

We just got off of the Rotterdam on Sunday, May 1st in Amsterdam and yes, we had to have a Covid test before our flight to enter the US.

We have a cruise scheduled on the Noordam in September and are planning on flying into Seattle.  We are going to schedule the transfer from Seattle to Vancouver with Holland America.  I noticed you said we could drive into Canada.  Do you think we would not have to have a Covid test to drive back across the border from Canada???  I already have my flights scheduled but I am really concerned.  There is no way we could get a negative Covid test to re-enter the US if we are on a bus coming from the cruise port.  

Fingers crossed that things change by then but is the requirement different if you are driving or in our case riding??

From the guidelines post yesterday:

Vaccinated guests needing a disembarkation COVID-19 test in Canada for their return travel to their home country will be responsible to arrange and cover the expense of that test.

Does that mean for a fee they will test you onboard? 

We have 1 day in Vancouver before flying back to USA. With the current situation in the US right now I wouldn't mind having to stay "extra time" in Canada since I'm retired.

-Paul

11 minutes ago, lderochi said:

No, no disembarkation testing onboard. The email they sent recommends telemedicine or several different in-person testing facilities in Vancouver. 

I sail out of Vancouver in 2 days, and have not received this email from HAL.

• Like 1

Is your cruise ending back in Vancouver? If not, then it shouldn’t be an issue. You won’t need a test in order to fly from Seattle or Anchorage. It’s just an issue for people who disembark in Vancouver and are flying from thereto the U. S. 

11 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Well, crap.  I'm flying to Seattle, spending the night, taking HAL's shuttle to Vancouver.  But coming home, I booked my flight from Vancouver and have a stop in Seattle.  The testing requirement only applied to flights.  I'm going to see if I can change my flight to just the Seattle leg and either use HAL's transfer or take the train.

Nevermind.  My fare is nonrefundable, and even if I cancel and rebook, the fare RT Seattle is now more than I paid.  Add to that the train fare, and I'd be out-of-pocket more.  I'll just figure something out. 😡

My husband and I decided a while back that we wanted to visit Seattle after disembarking Vancouver, so we planned to rent a car and drive there. It may be an expensive rental, but it is also cheaper, and easier, for us to fly from SEA too Charleston than from Vancouver to Charleston.

I need to make an appointment at a testing center near the dock in Vancouver.  We have an 11 pm flight out of YVR and none of the airport testing centers are open on Saturdays late enough to accommodate us.

My question is- how long does the disembarkation process take and what is a reasonable time to schedule tests if disembarkation is 7 am?  The testing center is a quarter mile from the port.  We have purchased a plan to check our luggage at that time, and tour Vancouver all day. I would hope to deal with the luggage, and then walk to the testing site.  I need to make appointments.  Any ideas?