HAL Not providing onboard covid testing in Vancouver

14 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

My basic opinion is that for this season I will avoid travel to Canada, regardless of who is to blame for the issues (meaningless to me who is creating the problems, they do exist and I try to avoid them).

I think you may have to avoid  travel to any other country that requires a flight back to the US as that is the requirement to fly back into the US as far as I understand 

• Like 1

I've done enough research to determine that it is possible to reserve an appointment several weeks in advance at the place near the dock in Vancouver.  This will make it less stressful for us.  We leave the next day.  This still could work for same day flights but is stressful because what happens if there is a delay in the debarkation process.

IMHO HAL could have changed the policy to charge passengers for these tests so those who wanted them could pay for them.  The number of cancelations that occur will cost cruise lines more money than they would save by canceling the tests.  

The problem is not with Canada IMHO. Their arrive Can app is easy to use.  They removed the vaccination requirement for entry into Canada.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

My basic opinion is that for this season I will avoid travel to Canada, regardless of who is to blame for the issues (meaningless to me who is creating the problems, they do exist and I try to avoid them).

Enjoy your vacation elsewhere. 

I am cruising  Alaska on Princess next week but thought I would see if I could pick up any new info on this board related the new policy to not provide testing at disembarkation .  Seems you all have the same concerns over no disembarkation testing as we do. But I rarely see discussion on what to do if we test positive and cant fly home. Anyone experienced that yet or have come up with a plan for Vancouver?

Edited by Buckeye10640

2 hours ago, morgan1611 said:

I think you'd have to get to Seattle and fly home from there.🤷‍♀️

So you're suggesting that someone that tested positive should go ahead and get to Seattle to fly home knowing they'll be exposing everyone on the plane? Really?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Thanks, I will.  Touring Alaska (part of the US) from and to a US port (Seattle).  

Oh Oops you still have to visit Canada, just saying. That is because of a very old protectionist US law.

• Like 1

Has anyone submitted their proctored tests for insurance reimbursement? We keep a supply of the rapid tests at home, and, so far, the only issue I’ve had getting reimbursed was the time delay. The wording says any FDA approved test, and up to 8 per month, but I don’t see any exclusion regarding the ones where you have to be on video. I submitted them, so fingers crossed.

On 5/5/2022 at 4:36 AM, kentuckycruiser said:

I saw that at 5:45 a.m. Nothing like that added stress to the day. Our cruise leaves on 5-28. The options given of try at the airport or order tests is I suppose the best they can do but that is a lot to ask of passengers.

My initial thought, how crowded will the testing center be at the Vancouver airport? 

The day before is an at sea day, so no one could do the supervised online test on that day. So the result will be people will be up at the crack of dawn trying to log in to do the supervised tests. We have two kids with us so that should be fun.  

I called HAL and they said if you have the premium wireless package that it would support video calls. Easy to do the day while you are at sea…hopefully??.

28 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

I called HAL and they said if you have the premium wireless package that it would support video calls. Easy to do the day while you are at sea…hopefully??.

I would add that one can purchase the lower tier package for the bulk of the cruise, and then purchase onboard an upgrade for the day one needs the video capability.  We've done that on prior cruises.

Edited by Btimmer

Except I'm pretty sure that just about everyone who had posted a"live from" thread has commented on how terrible the wifi is on the sea days. I only have 1 eMed test left and don't want to risk a dropped call. I be up early on disembark morning and test then. 

Then, if it doesn't work, I'll go to panic mode and hope to test at the convention center or airport.  Glad I booked a late afternoon flight. 

Even on a sea day you should get a signal while you are in the inside passage. Civilization is close by no matter whether you are closer to Vancouver Island or the mainland. 

If the wifi fails you then try your cellphone it might just grab a signal. If that doesn't work then think about panic stations 😉.

2 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

And I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you for a good price :).  In theory the system does support video calls but whether you can maintain a connection for the 20+ minutes necessary..is a real gamble.  If the connection fails your test becomes worthless since it is no longer proctored.  We have been on many cruises (HAL and other lines) where Internet is sporadic or not working at all for hours and sometimes days.

Hank

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I only have 1 eMed test left and don't want to risk a dropped call. I be up early on disembark morning and test then. 

I’ll be traveling with SIX (count ‘em) eMed kits for the two of us just in case. Long story why I have that many, but might as well get my money’s worth and use them before they expire. So I’ll give it a shot on the day before and keep 2 each in reserve for the final day if need be. 

On 5/6/2022 at 7:47 AM, steve4031 said:

I just got done writing an email to my senator explaining why this policy is ridiculous.  

I think the appropriate thing for HAL and other cruise  to do is to offer passengers the option to pay for a test so they do not have to stress out running around Vancouver to get tested.  

I agree wholeheartedly! Would gladly pay to have it done on-board.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 7:47 AM, steve4031 said:

I just got done writing an email to my senator explaining why this policy is ridiculous.  

I think the appropriate thing for HAL and other cruise  to do is to offer passengers the option to pay for a test so they do not have to stress out running around Vancouver to get tested.  

👍

• Like 1

I just found on point COVID proctored testing that is $23.99 per test. You supply any home unopened test and they will proctor it. The results are then emailed to you. This is the link:

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmuiTBhDoARIsAPiv6L-KA_VlC_PZ_KYx3Nufqw9dN2dFf5hd5gNUNaKRGKrKWxes7xQgeUwaAu58EALw_wcB
Worth looking into for the price.You pay, then make the appointment. It is cheaper than the E-Med tests.

On 5/10/2022 at 4:40 PM, oakridger said:

Thanks @Gray Lady.  I will keep this info handy.  I had heard here on Cruise Critic that there are several options for online proctoring to use your own antigen test.  I will bookmark this website.

~Nancy

Nancy, I am attaching another option for proctored self-test. Like the previous one, this one is based in the LA area. I have called HAL twice to ask about their internet connections, and they keep telling me it will all work…have no worries! Yeah, like that will happen! I am hoping that someone returns before we leave in mid-June to tell us how it goes. Good luck!

Cindy

https://www.totaltestingsolutions.com/virtual-travel-testing/

11 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:I am hoping that someone returns before we leave in mid-June to tell us how it goes. 

I’ll be giving it a try 5/21 from the inside passage and 5/22 from Vancouver on disembarkation morning if that doesn’t work. Stay tuned. 

• Like 1

Good morning all. We get off the Noordam in Vancouver on May 29th and tranfer to Seattle by bus. Will have a Covid-19 test before boarding the ship in Anchorage and the Canadian arrival app done. 

Checking the Canadian Government website, it shows no requirement to have a negative Covid-19 test to enter Cananda by ship for fully vaccinated passengers and the US site shows the same,  no requirement to have a negative Covid-19 test to cross the boarder into the US by land. Am I missing something?

Regarding the US rules at this time, negative Covid test required to fly into US. Not needed for land or sea arrivals.

Brother and Sister-in-law currently in South Africa and cannot fly back to the US until test negative. One tested positive at the airport and currently waiting in hotel for negative tests so can fly out. One of hazards of traveling internationally these days.

I've looked through the thread and haven't found this addressed.  Would appreciate some feedback:  We dock in Vancouver on May 29.  We have flights out that afternoon at 2:30.  I'm trying to determine how much time to allow for disembarking and taxi to the airport so I can schedule our tests at the airport.  I've only been to Vancouver 1 time and we stayed extra days after the cruise.  

Any input would be appreciated.  I am worried that 11am might be too early?  It could quite possibly leave us with too much time milling around waiting for the time slot?