Birth certificate question

Kimd1971

2 minutes ago, Kimd1971 said:

When traveling with a birth certificate and DL, should the birth certificate be the long form or is the smaller card size acceptable?

The card is acceptable.  I have used it in the past.

• Like 1

In the past the two requirements were:  1. It had to be the state issued version (not from hospital, etc) and 2. Irhad to have the embossed (raised) state seal.

If your name had changed due to marriage, you also had to show a marriage license/certificate also.

25 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Last time I checked, the card version is NOT acceptable because it does not contain all the required information and it is not a certified form.

From Carvinal's FAQsimage.thumb.png.87035696948c9d4ebd4d5b88a76be228.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Last time I checked, the card version is NOT acceptable because it does not contain all the required information and it is not a certified form.

We have passports but my brother-in-law just used his birth certificate card in Tampa last month with no issues.

14 hours ago, Homosassa said:

That is true for applying for a passport, but those requirements are different than the ones for a closed loop cruise. Any government issued birth certificate is acceptable for a closed loop cruise. As mentioned it can't be a hospital one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dan4182 said:

In the past the two requirements were:  1. It had to be the state issued version (not from hospital, etc) and 2. Irhad to have the embossed (raised) state seal.

If your name had changed due to marriage, you also had to show a marriage license/certificate also.

It does not have to have a raised seal on it. A photocopy from your home printer is perfectly acceptable. The birth certificate card is also acceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If going outside of the U.S., I would take a passport if you have one. We just lock it up in the room safe.  We just got off a cruise where one passenger broke her ankle and had to leave the ship in Cartagena, Columbia and fly home from there after her surgery.  I'm sure it would be more difficult in that situation if you didn't have your passport with you.  We also had someone airlifted by helicopter off the ship when we were off the coast of Mexico (not sure where they took him exactly--it was the middle of the night).  We have never needed our passport while on a cruise (after we use it to get on the ship), but you never know what may happen!

7 minutes ago, jmu82 said:

If going outside of the U.S., I would take a passport if you have one. We just lock it up in the room safe.  We just got off a cruise where one passenger broke her ankle and had to leave the ship in Cartagena, Columbia and fly home from there after her surgery.  I'm sure it would be more difficult in that situation if you didn't have your passport with you.  We also had someone airlifted by helicopter off the ship when we were off the coast of Mexico (not sure where they took him exactly--it was the middle of the night).  We have never needed our passport while on a cruise (after we use it to get on the ship), but you never know what may happen!

FWIW I can't understand the logic in traveling with a passport but leaving it on the ship when you're most likely to need it.

• Like 2

I don't recall ever needing it in port.  If the country required  it, I would take it!  They usually say to take a government photo ID (I have my driver's license).   You always have to take  your 'Sail & Sign' card.  (Gets you on and off the ship).  If there was any chance you were going to miss getting back on the ship, I guess you should have it!

8 minutes ago, jmu82 said:

I don't recall ever needing it in port.  If the country required  it, I would take it!  They usually say to take a government photo ID (I have my driver's license).   You always have to take  your 'Sail & Sign' card.  (Gets you on and off the ship).  If there was any chance you were going to miss getting back on the ship, I guess you should have it!

You don't need it until you need it I guess is the point I was making. I don't understand the logic that makes people recommend getting a passport for a cruise and then leave it locked in their room safe when they get off the ship. If you're going to do that, might as well just cruise with your driver's license and birth certificate because the document you need isn't going to do you any good sailing away without you.

51 minutes ago, jmu82 said:

I have a passport and would never travel without one! One of my roommates wants to use her birth certificate and DL so just asking for her. 
Thanks for all the replies!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mz-s said:

You don't need it until you need it I guess is the point I was making. I don't understand the logic that makes people recommend getting a passport for a cruise and then leave it locked in their room safe when they get off the ship. If you're going to do that, might as well just cruise with your driver's license and birth certificate because the document you need isn't going to do you any good sailing away without you.

Conventional wisdom tells us that the cruise ship staff will go into the cabin safe and retrieve any passports there and turn them over to the port agent. As for something happening to someone who doesn't have a passport that is why the authorities have the ability under the regulations to waive the passport requirement for emergencies and for humanitarian reasons. This would entail some delay for the affected passenger but they would be allowed to return to the US. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

The raised seal version is the one that Carnival recommends and prefers. Have witnessed cruisers delayed a long time for not having this form of ID. 

FYI For the last many decades both our current state of residence where both of ours were born and our original birth states do not issue a "raised stamp" but rather use a colored stamp on the b/c.

• Like 1

Note that if you are stranded in a foreign country needing to return to the USA and don't have a USA passport, you can go to the US Embassy or Consulate which may or may not be in the area and get a duplicate.  However, we are talking about the US government and any emergency on your part is not an emergency to the embassy/consulate who are closed on both US holidays and host country holidays.  It will help speed up things if you can provide your passport number.  Just a reminder. 

• Like 1

We were on the Dream last month and of course had our passports.  When we debarked and entered the terminal the first stop was immigration of course.  We walked into the terminal and pretty much kept walking until we arrived to claim our luggage right pass the huge, stalled line of pax who did not have a passport.  We stopped in front of the facial recognition kiosk and within seconds it recognized us, and we continued on our way while the huge line of non-passport holders was slowly working its way through the immigration area.  To all the non-passport pax thank you for allowing us to get through immigration in record time. 

8 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

The raised seal version is the one that Carnival recommends and prefers. Have witnessed cruisers delayed a long time for not having this form of ID. 

it's 2022, not 1980. They accept anything, except the hospital one. Heck most places just use watermarks now.  Like what was posted above you can even have a photocopy.

Edited by Illbcruzn4life

On 5/6/2022 at 8:51 PM, jmu82 said:

since you were on that cruise where the poor woman broke her ankle you are well aware that you needed a passport for that cruise. I get your point though.

14 hours ago, Laplayaperson said:

If our kids don't have id's b/c under the driving age does just their birth certificate work? 

BC is fine,  but many states issue an ID that looks like a license for kids and those who don't drive. 

11 hours ago, satxdiver said:

FYI For the last many decades both our current state of residence where both of ours were born and our original birth states do not issue a "raised stamp" but rather use a colored stamp on the b/c.

That is very common,  as the raised seal doesn't show when scanned. 

Remember birth certificates are state issued and vary from state to state. In my state a short form is valid but this my not be the case for all states. IF I were using a birth certificate, I would order a brand new one from my state agency. I cruise cost too much to run the risk f being turned away.