Seabourn no longer doing covid test for passengers returning to US from Vancouver

wesport

Other options for proctored self-test kits:  if you cannot get it done on the ship (due to wifi issues) the day before or the morning of disembarkation, the city of Victoria (maybe also its cruise terminal) has free wifi hot spots throughout the city.  Same for the city of Vancouver and its cruise terminal (including the Starbucks at its entrance) the morning of disembarkation.  Also, YVR airport has free wifi, so you can self test before checking in for your flight.  (Of course, if you're staying behind, you can do the self test in your hotel room.)

28 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

Other options for proctored self-test kits:  if you cannot get it done on the ship (due to wifi issues) the day before or the morning of disembarkation, the city of Victoria (maybe also its cruise terminal) has free wifi hot spots throughout the city.  Same for the city of Vancouver and its cruise terminal (including the Starbucks at its entrance) the morning of disembarkation.  Also, YVR airport has free wifi, so you can self test before checking in for your flight.  (Of course, if you're staying behind, you can do the self test in your hotel room.)

Of course, this assumes that there is enough bandwidth in those public locations.  And, of course, you are properly protecting yourself with a VPN.

I have eMed at home monitored tests that we are taking with us on the trip to handle the COVID testing required to return to the US and was wondering if ANY of you have successfully used this on the shipboard internet.  I purchased the HAL premium Internet so that should provide streaming.  At first glance I don't see any reason why we can't do this testing from our room on the ship the day before disembarkation, even if we have to do it early in the AM or something before all of the bandwidth is eaten up. 

NO way we can do it the day before in town or so because we will be at sea then we pull in at 7 and our flight out of Montreal YUL is at 1:15.  It would be tight to get to the airport and get the tests there.  Made this flight before the notice was sent out a couple of days ago.

You are right...stressful.  It shouldn't have to be this way as they said they would do the testing.  Tks in adv for any feedback!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rwcooperuk said:

I have eMed at home monitored tests that we are taking with us on the trip to handle the COVID testing required to return to the US and was wondering if ANY of you have successfully used this on the shipboard internet.  I purchased the HAL premium Internet so that should provide streaming.  At first glance I don't see any reason why we can't do this testing from our room on the ship the day before disembarkation, even if we have to do it early in the AM or something before all of the bandwidth is eaten up. 

NO way we can do it the day before in town or so because we will be at sea then we pull in at 7 and our flight out of Montreal YUL is at 1:15.  It would be tight to get to the airport and get the tests there.  Made this flight before the notice was sent out a couple of days ago.

You are right...stressful.  It shouldn't have to be this way as they said they would do the testing.  Tks in adv for any feedback!

I think depending on ship internet for proctored tests is a big gamble.  You need uninterrupted streaming for at least 20 minutes or I believe your test is invalid.  If you plan on doing this you might consider having several extra test kits and a Plan B of what to do,if all those tests fail.

Hank

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 1:53 PM, SLSD said:

I read yesterday that Encore has less than 300 guests right now.  It's not as if all Seabourn aficionados are clamoring to sail.

FWIW I just got off the Encore today and was told by a senior staff member that Greece still has limitations on the percentage of passengers the ship is allowed to carry if stopping in Greek ports. I don't know if that's accurate but that's what I was told and since Encore is sailing in the eastern Med with many stops there it could be impacting the number of passengers on the ship.

On 5/6/2022 at 1:44 PM, Jother said:
I, too, JUST received notice that Seabourn will not be doing on-board COVID tests prior to debarkation in Vancouver - where proof of negative test is required. "Circumstances beyond our control"   

I am 13 days from departure and am NOW being told I will have to arrange for my own COVID test at the Vancouver airport or order some kind of "medically observed at-home antigen test kit."
Both at my expense ($80).

It's not the money that has me upset - it's the fact I have to arrange for the test "on my own."   This is a hassle I do not want and one I certainly didn't expect from a "so-called" luxury cruise line!  I am furious and would absolutely cancel if I could do so without penalty - honestly.  I am THAT angry!    

Perhaps I'd be less critical if I know what the "circumstances beyond our control" were.

As a former Crystal loyalist, looking for a new cruise line to replace Crystal, this is my first experience with Seabourn - - and I am NOT impressed!

Bad Start.jpg

On 5/6/2022 at 9:39 PM, SusieQft said:

I am also an UNHAPPY recipient of this notice.  Last night I ordered the self tests, and paid extra for expedited shipping because the standard shipping would have them arriving the day before we fly to Vancouver, way too close for comfort.

I have seen conflicting reports about wifi availability on Seabourn.  Is it included now, and will it be reliable enough for proctored tests?

I am another Crystal "refugee" looking for a new favorite cruise line, and I have to say that Seabourn is not off to a great start.

Thank you @pattycruisealot21 for the info about the testing site at the Convention Centre.  It is great to know that is another option.

Edited by purpleally
Delete

We recently tried Seabourn after being frequent Crystal cruisers.  There was a lot to like about Seabourn, but we were very very unhappy about the way Seabourn dealt with Covid (e.g. stating all passengers would be tested, but then not testing, not informing guests when there was a breakout of Covid onboard....).     Now seeing this thread, it reinforces our view that we won't be cruising Seabourn again.  Reading that HAL is doing the same things points to the fact that this is all coming from Carnival (actually, one of the Seabourn Officers told us that).  We won't be doing Carnival owned cruises (We've cancelled a crossing on CUnard).  It's a shame - Seabourn could be a pretty good cruise if Carnival would get out of the way.

• Like 2

@purpleally, I am responding, with some trepidation, only because you have made these exact same complaints several times before.

1.  I do not consider myself a "Crystal person," at least not any longer.  Does the fact that I used to sail on Crystal mean that I cannot have opinions about other cruise lines?

2.  My wish is that people would stop trying to police the language of others! 

3.  Do you really think it is "luxurious" to pull the rug out from under the passengers with regard to providing the testing to fly home to the US, with less than 2 weeks notice before sailing?  After promising for months that any onboard testing needed to fly home would be provided on the ship?  Even if they said they will still provide it but with a charge would be better than abandoning the passengers to find their own somewhere else.  How is this not a valid complaint?  I am very disappointed to realize that it is really Carnival and/or HAL that calls the shots on Seabourn.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, gwesq said:

not informing guests when there was a breakout of Covid onboard

But is any cruise line doing this? I'm not saying that to defend Seabourn, I'm just aware of reading similar comments/complaints by passengers on a number of cruise line forums. A few cases of Covid on any ship is now commonplace.

9 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

But is any cruise line doing this? I'm not saying that to defend Seabourn, I'm just aware of reading similar comments/complaints by passengers on a number of cruise line forums. A few cases of Covid on any ship is now commonplace.

I read that Silversea is doing this, but for a fee. 

I will try to do the proctored test when we get into port in Vancouver, and also schedule a test at the cruise port before I go to the airport just in case the internet is unreliable. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SusieQft said:

@purpleally, I am responding, with some trepidation, only because you have made these exact same complaints several times before.

1.  I do not consider myself a "Crystal person," at least not any longer.  Does the fact that I used to sail on Crystal mean that I cannot have opinions about other cruise lines?

2.  My wish is that people would stop trying to police the language of others! 

3.  Do you really think it is "luxurious" to pull the rug out from under the passengers with regard to providing the testing to fly home to the US, with less than 2 weeks notice before sailing?  After promising for months that any onboard testing needed to fly home would be provided on the ship?  Even if they said they will still provide it but with a charge would be better than abandoning the passengers to find their own somewhere else.  How is this not a valid complaint?  I am very disappointed to realize that it is really Carnival and/or HAL that calls the shots on Seabourn.

I totally agree with you about policing the opinions and words of others.  Please understand that it is just a very few people who try to do that.  The rest of us here do like to hear whatever people want to say.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And getting back on Thread...For those who know, maybe some assistance. >> We have purchased SB FlightEase for travel on our trip, which includes the transfers to/from port/airport in LA and Vancouver.

-> This is our first time using the "included" transfers - typically, what time do the transfers from SB begin back to Vancouver airport?

-> There are CVM Medical testing facilities at the airport, with appointments every 10 minutes or so. There is also a CVM at Canada Place, next to the Cruise Port, with appointments (also every 10 minutes) starting at 7:30am.

-> DO we have time to disembark, run (or fast walk) over to the CVM at Canada Place, get tested (and hopefully pass) and return back to Port for the included airport transfer? 

-> If not sufficient run time at Port for the test, then what approximate time does the transfer (not the excursion) arrive at the Airport? Again, this would predicate when to schedule tests there?

Thanks in advance, Jonathan

On 5/6/2022 at 9:43 AM, saminina said:

Partner received notice, I have not for the soon to happen cruise.    Early departure from YVR so not happy.  Maybe fly to Mexico and walk across border.

HAL/Princess will teach anyone left as a SB employee in Seattle how to run a so called luxury line.

Please, just try truth in advertising.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:40 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Note that both the Edmonton Oilers and the Toronto Maple Leafs took a creative way around the testing requirement.  Rather than fly from Toronto to Tampa, the Leafs took a bus to Buffalo and flew from there.  And the Oilers flew to Vancouver, took a bus to Seattle and flew to Los Angeles.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/canadian-hockey-teams-dodge-covid-19-testing/

So folks in Vancouver can take the bus to Sea-Tac and fly from there.  No test needed to cross the border by land.

I was just going to make that same point.  Rent a car, drive to Seattle, and fly home!

All: Unfortunately, testing in Seattle won't work for those flying out of Vancouver - according to the CDC, for entry into USA, the test has to be within 24 hours of flight. Regarding, driving/traveling into Seattle and flying from there, I would imagine that most of us all ready have our flights locked in and can't change (without incurring a cost - although, I imagine that we could eat our ticket from Vancouver to Seattle, but that would also be a cost loss). 

Personally, I think that SB could accommodate onboard, independent testing in Victoria with an excursion cost. This could be a marketing feature or bundled in with FlightEase. SB could apply a small "handling fee", which would be a significant benefit to time/stress saved while looking to disembark. I imagine that, with the greatly increased costs from fuel, food, staff, SB could improve the bottom line with this handling fee and greatly improve customer satisfaction with the reduced concern. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I was just going to make that same point.  Rent a car, drive to Seattle, and fly home!

Far easier to just take the door to door Quick Shuttle.  No hassle of renting the car, doing the driving, fueling and returning the car.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 12:20 PM, rwcooperuk said:

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Far easier to just take the door to door Quick Shuttle.  No hassle of renting the car, doing the driving, fueling and returning the car.

Know what I know now, we would have. The problem is our flight is already booked and paid for. We paid for transfers, so they may allow us time to test at the airport if needed.

So I have been stressing over this...figured the path of least resistance was to move our flight from Montreal from the day of arrival (June 18th) to the next day (June 19th).  That would give us plenty of time to do the test from our hotel or find a place to conduct it.  Easy to change the flight and I got a .18 cent credit on the ticket.  However, went to book a hotel and there literally were none available.  I researched what was going on and found that the MONTREAL GRAND PRIX PACKAGES FOR 2022 was happening and I am assuming the city was bought up from that.  HAL couldn't even get us a hotel.  Ultimately, I went through USAA travel and they had one 3 star in town that cost us $516.00 with tax.  Whew...I was sweating that.  Anyway...that's that story...maybe it'll bring the stress down a bit.  Plan on enjoying the cruise but I think this was underhanded.

20 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

Know what I know now, we would have. The problem is our flight is already booked and paid for. We paid for transfers, so they may allow us time to test at the airport if needed.

And did you bother to check what would be involved in making a change from YVR to SEA?  Or just accepting that it is locked in stone?

10 minutes ago, rwcooperuk said:

So I have been stressing over this...figured the path of least resistance was to move our flight from Montreal from the day of arrival (June 18th) to the next day (June 19th).  That would give us plenty of time to do the test from our hotel or find a place to conduct it.  Easy to change the flight and I got a .18 cent credit on the ticket.  However, went to book a hotel and there literally were none available.  I researched what was going on and found that the MONTREAL GRAND PRIX PACKAGES FOR 2022 was happening and I am assuming the city was bought up from that.  HAL couldn't even get us a hotel.  Ultimately, I went through USAA travel and they had one 3 star in town that cost us $516.00 with tax.  Whew...I was sweating that.  Anyway...that's that story...maybe it'll bring the stress down a bit.  Plan on enjoying the cruise but I think this was underhanded.

Did you check on leaving from Toronto.  Lots of both flights and trains between Montreal and Toronto - and the difference in a hotel price would easily make up that expense.