Would you cancel Celebrity excursion

Lbicklel

We always do a mix of cruise line excursions, third-party tours, and on our own. For our upcoming celebrity equinox on May 21 we have scheduled a Celebrity excursion for San Juan which is our first port. I am debating canceling and doing something on our own solely for fear of somebody on that excursion coming up Covid positive and us being considered close contacts do to being on the same excursion, and having to go through the whole isolation while waiting to (hopefully)test negative.  We intend to mask in crowds and stay largely to ourselves to stay as safe as possible.

Would you cancel the excursion or take the chance?  Is there any experience in the group with coming up as a close contact due to an excursion?

6 minutes ago, Lbicklel said:

Thanks…it a “Land and Sea” tour…2.5 hours, part boat (catamaran?) and part bus.

Seems like from time you enter departure terminal, through security and onboard you are already in close proximity to crowds.

Doubt an excursion with those same people is going to change your odds of catching something.

I wouldn't think of cancelling. It's no different than home. or on a plane or in a store. There's just so much you can do to protect yourself, and I, for one, will not let fear of the Covid ruin my life.

• Like 2

For us it is not ONLY about what we can do to protect ourselves in such situations, IT IS about contact tracing and the potential inconvenience caused for up to a few days while waiting for test results and in the worst case scenario, isolation because of our 'Devil May Care' attitude surrounding any potential exposure.

I say go for it for those who could care less about exposure and contracting C-19. Those of us with concerns for our health and exposure and continued unfettered enjoyment of our vacation(s) need to continue to take any and all precautions to prevent any 'possible/potential' exposure that could ruin it for us, in our estimation.

Whatever you decide, good luck....

In health and bon voyage

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

For us it is not ONLY about what we can do to protect ourselves in such situations, IT IS about contact tracing and the potential inconvenience caused for up to a few days while waiting for test results and in the worst case scenario, isolation because of our 'Devil May Care' attitude surrounding any potential exposure.

I say go for it for those who could care less about exposure and contracting C-19. Those of us with concerns for our health and exposure and continued unfettered enjoyment of our vacation(s) need to continue to take any and all precautions to prevent any 'possible/potential' exposure that could ruin it for us, in our estimation.

In health and bon voyage

I agree for the exact reasons; I want to mitigate the odds of contracting Covid and the ensuing enforced isolation thereby ruining the vacation experience.  Everyone needs to assess their own tolerance level and I will take the precautions to protect myself (other passengers can do as they deem fit).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rachiem said:

We have cancelled all of ours bar one even though we had £800 in OBC. 

We didn't want to risk the contact tracing if someone on your coach tests positive.

The contact tracing isn't what you need to worry about it is someone grassing you up onboard for sneezing or coughing or whatever. If that happens no way out of it. That would be something to worry about. And if you want to avoid getting traced eat your meals in the buffet and get drinks from the atruim bar or whatever and wak away and give people a fake name. Are you prepared to go that far? If so good luck if not then just get on with it and take it as it comes.

Edited by ace2542
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, rachiem said:

We have cancelled all of ours bar one even though we had £800 in OBC. 

We didn't want to risk the contact tracing if someone on your coach tests positive.

Where are you cruising from and how will you get to the ship?

17 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

The contact tracing isn't what you need to worry about it is someone grassing you up onboard for sneezing or coughing or whatever. If that happens no way out of it. That would be something to worry about. And if you want to avoid getting traced eat your meals in the buffet and get drinks from the atruim bar or whatever and wak away and give people a fake name. Are you prepared to go that far? If so good luck if not then just get on with it and take it as it comes.

LOL, whatever name you give, it will not matter as it is your face that tells X who you are and where to find you....

Thank you Spiderman/Batgirl....

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I wouldn't think of cancelling. It's no different than home. or on a plane or in a store. There's just so much you can do to protect yourself, and I, for one, will not let fear of the Covid ruin my life.

It's not just about protecting oneself or catching anything.  It's also the inconvenience of becoming a close contact and being quarantined until the proper negative test results come back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had not taken concerns about contact tracing into account when booking excursions. And have mixed feelings about it- we do have one cruise ship excursion planned- the rest are 3rd party ones. It would certainly be inconvenient to be quarantined on the other hand, it is an attempt to keep people safe. And with nearly a million US deaths, this is something to consider. Booking 3rd party in an attempt to get around safety procedures makes me a bit uncomfortable. Life in the times of CoVid raise some interesting ethical questions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recently returned from the Reflection Ta to Rome.  The last day we had a Celebrity Excursion to do Florence on your own (bus transfer).  We booked it at a discount before we left home because we were nervous about using the trains and getting back to the ship on time on the May Day holiday.  The Tuscan bus was not operating that day for example.  We were told everyone would have to wear masks on the bus.  Almost no one getting on the bus was wearing a mask.  I called this to the guides attention and I could tell she had no intention of being an enforcer until I told her what we were told about masks.  She then made an announcement and most people put on masks in some manner.  The bus was full and we were squeezed in like sardines.  The woman in front of me was sick, coughing and blowing.  On the way home  (1 and a half hour ride each way) I saw that she was keeping her mask off even between times that she was blowing her nose and hacking.  It is so awful that people remove their masks to cough..duh. I heard her tell her husband that she couldn't breath.  The guide told us to keep the same seats both ways and there was no place to move anyway.  My DH and I wore tight fitting N95 masks the whole time we were on the bus.  I caught COVID and I think it was on that bus ride.  Luckily I tested negative for the flight home from Italy and then test positive at home.  I think am going to be fine, just feels like a bad cold and my DH is still testing negative.

The big nightmare would have been if we had plans after the TA other than returning home after an overnight at the Rome airport.  I would not want to pay to quarantine in an Italian hotel and pay more to fly home.

Just some thing to think about.  Airplanes are much safer than buses and we will not be doing anymore Celebrity bus transfers or excursions.

• Thanks 3

That is awful and a scenario that I fear. I was in a local store the other day waiting to talk to the pharmacist and a mother with 2 kids in a wagon was in front of me- the kids both obviously sick, coughing  and looking terrible. I am counting the days and will probably test tomorrow. Sorry you are ill and glad your were able to get home. Makes me want to slap people upside the head and tell them to take life seriously! And people in positions of responsibility should do just that- why was that woman even allowed on the bus? 

• Thanks 1

We are considering cancelling a sailing excursion on St. Maarten and booking at a different time directly through the sailing company. It is earlier in our cruise and we don't want the chance of being labeled as a close contact and have to go through the testing/isolation process. I wish would could do the same for a Tortola excursion but it is only offered through the cruise line. 

30 minutes ago, MBP1 said:

Tortola excursion but it is only offered through the cruise line. 

Incorrect...If you're VAXED there are ZERO ports that require tours through X.  X states it may require a "government approved" tour but in many cases that just means you take a taxi out of the secured area.  In some cases such as Barbados and St Lucia (went there two weeks ago) where X says you need a government approved tour, you can walk outside the secured area without a tour booked.

I was on an Edge sailing this past July when you needed an X tour if you wanted to get off the ship in Cozumel, you followed an X guide off the ship and they handed you off to the non-X tour guide.  After the tour was over they dropped you off in front of the secured area, you were free to explore the island and mingle with whomever.

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Incorrect...If you're VAXED there are ZERO ports that require tours through X.  X states it may require a "government approved" tour but in many cases that just means you take a taxi out of the secured area.  In some cases such as Barbados and St Lucia (went there two weeks ago) where X says you need a government approved tour, you can walk outside the secured area without a tour booked.

I was on an Edge sailing this past July when you needed an X tour if you wanted to get off the ship in Cozumel, you followed an X guide off the ship and they handed you off to the non-X tour guide.  After the tour was over they dropped you off in front of the secured area, you were free to explore the island and mingle with whomever.

I am referring to an excursion only offered through the cruise line, not a required excursion. Tortola doesn't have an abundance of choices and no third party offers the excursion (Snorkel Sail to Gorda Baths) we are doing there. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

But if you are contacted due to being exposed, you have to isolate for 24 hours and test to be released. That would be my inconvenience on a 7 day holiday!

14 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Where are you cruising from and how will you get to the ship?

We are flying….the concern isn’t so much contracting Covid as it is being being contact traced based on the excursion.  But I do admit comments on this thread as well as the rise in Covid numbers are making me question group excursions regardless.

15 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

In health and bon voyage

Exactly. We are accepting the potential risks of contracting Covid despite taking precautions. I don’t want to accept being quarantined for a few days waiting on negative results just because I went on an excursion.

• Thanks 1