Noise level on ships

Michidoeme

We have cruised a lot since X started again and have found that music levels are increasingly louder. E class ships are loud because of large, cavernous Martini Bar and Eden Bar space. You cannot find a quiet corner anywhere within the Eden space (even on the ramp) where there is not a speaker above head. 

We returned from a B2B on Millennium early February and the music was atrocious...techno pop blaring everywhere as early as 6 am in the buffet and lounges throughout the day that were totally empty. We talked with the Hotel Director and Cruise Director multiple times and were told something about decisions are made shore side. We also expressed our discomfort in the post-cruise survey.

One early morning in the Sky Lounge, I asked a technician to turn the volume down on the music and he said "they must have left the volume cranked up from last night". In the afternoon, I was able to hear the emcee during a trivia game two levels down in the stairwell, the microphone volume was so loud.

We asked our cruise planner to upgrade our upcoming cruises to Retreat so we can enjoy a more relaxing time in the Retreat Lounge. We have also purchased noise cancelling headphones and will use them when we need them. I can't image the logical thinking behind the loud, obnoxious, non-stop music everywhere on the ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2023 at 12:20 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I've not been in the theater (not our thing) but found the noise level in most small venues to be comfortable.  

One Exception -  The main Foyer (Martini Bar).     They put on a Light Show and the music is deafening.     Fine Cut is open into the Foyer and it was so loud we couldn't carry on a conversation during the show.   I will point out our table was close to the railing.

We have had the issue as well.  One night we happened to be at the Martini Bar when the Silent Disco was being held in the Foyer.  Despite the music being only heard through headphones, the participants singing, including 20 -30 in the aisle between the bar and the table /seats by the rail on deck four, was extremely loud and we ended up going to the Ensemble lounge so we could enjoy our drinks and talk with each other. 

The only issue I remember with sound volumes in the theater was the same as mentioned earlier about the music being much louder than the vocalist so that you really could not hear/understand the words of the song that was being sung. 

• Thanks 1

We just returned from the Millennium on Saturday and were pleasantly surprised by the reasonable volume levels of music on board. On our first Celebrity cruise on the Reflection was in 2014 and the volume levels/playlists were among our only criticisms. The band on that cruise played somber sad ballads or screechy alt-rock songs at intolerable levels in the atrium most nights. It was odd. 

Last week on The Millennium, not only were the music levels reasonable, the song selections of the bands and DJs were very itinerary appropriate: Lots of Caribbean music, Bob Marley and Latin tunes since we sailed out of San Juan. We LOVED the Celebrity Orchestra's sets in the evenings! There was an appropriate mix of current hits, pop, oldies, etc to appease all ages and preferences. The sound in the theatre was impeccable. Kudos to the sound tech team! 

The above said, I did mention in our cruise survey that the stateroom hallway music could use a volume adjustment overnight, as there was a ceiling speaker right in front of our stateroom door. It was only an noticeable when certain songs with high pitched notes/instruments played but it woke me up the first night. Once I realized what it was (And not a noisy neighbour!) I was fine with it but extremely light sleepers may have been more affected. I suggested they turn off the hallway music between 11pm and 6am. 

(All in all a great cruise that I'll review here on the weekend when I have more time! 🙂)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We never go to the theatre onboard because of the noise level. Well, maybe very occasionally if it looks like a really good show, but then we sit in the back row and find we need to leave after 5 minutes or so. Music in the Grand Foyer is sometimes ok, we would like to watch as well as listen but often need to move back around a corner to be able to tolerate the noise. Thankfully the solos and duos in the Ensemble Lounge are usually quite pleasant to listen to.

On the Solstice last December I mentioned the noise to the Cruise Director, twice. Once while we were standing in the Grand Foyer barely able to hear one another given the loud music. His reply: “Oh yeah, I have heard other people mention some about that. Do you have an excursion booked for tomorrow or getting off on your own?”  Huh?!? Totally did not care. Oh well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Never realized that noise was such an issue for so many folks.  A few times only,  and probably from a few too many cocktails, have we heard a bit of excessive noise.  

You haven’t figured out yet that people don’t like loud continuous noise?  Ever hear of tinnitus?  I have it and don’t want to make it worse.  I had no idea it was a problem either.

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You haven’t figured out yet that people don’t like loud continuous noise?  Ever hear of tinnitus?  I have it and don’t want to make it worse.  I had no idea it was a problem either.

I have heard of this.  Which makes me wonder.  Maybe those who have this hearing issue, should try a library or a funeral home for a vacation, instead of an active cruise ship...

Just now, Hawkstar33 said:

I have heard of this.  Which makes me wonder.  Maybe those who have this hearing issue, should try a library or a funeral home for a vacation, instead of an active cruise ship...

Some people avoid any music.  Some people prefer music to mask the tinnitus.  Quite a few people consider suicide so it’s not something I would ever joke about.

Maybe instead of a cruise ship, they could join you in your parent’s basement?

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Some people avoid any music.  Some people prefer music to mask the tinnitus.  Quite a few people consider suicide so it’s not something I would ever joke about.

Maybe instead of a cruise ship, they could join you in your parent’s basement?

Or join you in your closet with your earplugs.  I'm sorry but having an issue like this, would not deter me from going on a cruise.  But if I had this, I would figure a way to deal with it, if it was that important to go. A cruise ship loaded with guests having a great time, might not be my first choice.  Especially with the distress, and anxiety, that this causes, as per google.   

On 5/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, jelayne said:

DH has a sound meter on his phone and it isn’t unusual to have the sound in the Martini and Passport bars and the Grand Plaza & theater be in the 90-94 decibel range.  Normal conversation is around 60 and a level above 85  can harm your hearing.  
When we go to the theater, rare, we end up leaving because the ships band drowns out the performer and on Apex the 1 night we went 96 Decibels.

With a few of the DJs when the venue isn’t packed DH  has spoke to them and showed them how loud the sound is at the other side of the venues and they have lowered the volume.  

Glad you had some success. We have complained about the sound LOUDNESS in the theaters on all the X ships we've been on and the answer has always been: the sound producers have a set standard for sound! It's really a shame when the overwhelming sound ruins a show and apparently no one at X really cares.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Or join you in your closet with your earplugs.  I'm sorry but having an issue like this, would not deter me from going on a cruise.  But if I had this, I would figure a way to deal with it, if it was that important to go. A cruise ship loaded with guests having a great time, might not be my first choice.  Especially with the distress, and anxiety, that this causes, as per google.   

I guess people with medical conditions should just stay home, instead of, you know, deciding for themselves if they should go.  I choose not to spend the rest of my life in a funeral home.  The ship can lower the noise without making your life miserable.

• Like 7

As long as - for example - Eden Bar and Lounge, Martini Bar on board their Edge Class vessels are packed every evening- and people enjoying themselfes, they wont do a thing about the noise level.

For me it is unbearable- so I avoid Edge Class ships. ( Not only for that reason)

X- Ships got louder by the year- to attract a younger clientel- quite understandable since the older generation and old X- veterans are dying out.

I moved to Cunard with a X cruise throwen in from time to time- then on S- or - even better M- Class ships!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

As long as - for example - Eden Bar and Lounge, Martini Bar on board their Edge Class vessels are packed every evening- and people enjoying themselfes, they wont do a thing about the noise level.

For me it is unbearable- so I avoid Edge Class ships. ( Not only for that reason)

X- Ships got louder by the year- to attract a younger clientel- quite understandable since the older generation and old X- veterans are dying out.

I moved to Cunard with a X cruise throwen in from time to time- then on S- or - even better M- Class ships!

I’m not dead yet.  Now, get off my lawn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

I guess people with medical conditions should just stay home, instead of, you know, deciding for themselves if they should go.  I choose not to spend the rest of my life in a funeral home.  The ship can lower the noise without making your life miserable.

When I'm on a ship, I fully expect there to be loud music, alot of people singing, occasional cheering, a few kids running around, and people enjoying themselves. Throw in Cabin crawls, slot pulls, Zumba, and karaoke..25 cruises btwn Celebrity, and Royal.  60 yrs old with severe osteoporosis..Cane in my hand.  I go knowing what I'm gonna be up against.  I plan for any possible scenario, that may affect me.  I don't expect any special treatment because of it.  I adapt as things happen. I continue to remember that I'm on a luxury cruise ship with over 3000 people having a great time.  I personally would not do anything, that may cause me pain, or anxiety.  Whether on land or sea. And I most certainly would not expect them to lower the music, because of a few who don't like it.  

• Like 1

Does this bring back memories. I remember cruising on the Mercury in the 90’s. There was a very talented lady with an illustrious career on Broadway. They had the volume so loud , the only way it  was bearable was to stand outside the showroom. My opinion then , as a much younger man, that high volume was used to cover poor talent.  This lady did not warrant that volume.

I still feel the same today. 

Fast forward to my last Cruise on the Millennium in 2019.  The volume was just right in all venues and everyone was enjoying themselves. I never heard anyone say “crank it up.”

I do hope the entertainment is at an acceptable level on my upcoming Alaska cruise in June as I sail the Millennium again.

Edited by Tinknock50
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawkstar33 said:

When I'm on a ship, I fully expect there to be loud music, alot of people singing, occasional cheering, a few kids running around, and people enjoying themselves. Throw in Cabin crawls, slot pulls, Zumba, and karaoke..25 cruises btwn Celebrity, and Royal.  60 yrs old with severe osteoporosis..Cane in my hand.  I go knowing what I'm gonna be up against.  I plan for any possible scenario, that may affect me.  I don't expect any special treatment because of it.  I adapt as things happen. I continue to remember that I'm on a luxury cruise ship with over 3000 people having a great time.  I personally would not do anything, that may cause me pain, or anxiety.  Whether on land or sea. And I most certainly would not expect them to lower the music, because of a few who don't like it.  

Back in the day I was in a college fraternity and we had the occasional loud boisterous party. As I grew older I realized that having a good time did not need to involve a lot of whooping and hollering and public drunkenness. I have avoided Carnival and other low-end cruise ships in order to avoid that sort of atmosphere. I continue to hope that Celebrity will maintain an atmosphere of some decorum and that the louts will go elsewhere. We'll see...

Stan

• Like 6

14 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I think that the noise levels are due to the younger demographic that X is marketing towards.

I agree but maybe they should accommodate the cruisers they have rather than the cruisers they want. It's not that hard to judge your crowd.

• Like 5

Interesting post. We were on one of the maiden voyages for Edge and found the theater sound mixing was off... the vocals were impossible to hear and were drowned out by the instruments... overall impression was that it was too loud to be enjoyed. I thought that perhaps this was just because the ship and all the theater crew was new... The other issue was the loudness in the Martini bar. With all the specialty restaurants opening up to the atrium.. there were lots of complaints about sound disturbing diners. I find the S class less noisy although the atrium.. especially around the Martini Bar can be very loud after dinner...in particular... But they do have quiet options...like the Ensemble lounge or Sky Lounge

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Hawkstar33 said:

What a rude, nasty remark. Maybe everyone not in perfect health should stay home as well.  Your time will come. Hope for your sake you get more sympathy than you give.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

What a rude, nasty remark. Maybe everyone not in perfect health should stay home as well.  Your time will come. Hope for your sake you get more sympathy than you give.

My first comment if you read it, was that I was just surprised at how much of an issue, noise was.  Simply that.  The reply to me was a bit nasty..As was the next.   So you get what you give. If you further read, you would see that I'm severely handicapped, so my time is here.  Very few respect that either on most ships.  Manners are nowhere.  But I deal with it, and adapt, without looking for special treatment, or crew to fix the problem.  And will never look for any sympathy.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On the Celebrity Reflection (S class) at the moment and the noise level on deck is unbearable. I’m all in favour of everyone having fun but there is no possibility of having a relaxing time anywhere near the pool. Loud ‘thump thump’ techno music is all pervading and it simply isn’t possible to speak to someone next to you. 
Sound levels in the theatre are also pretty loud but not unbearable. 

• Thanks 1

I just came off the Beyond in the retreat.  I have tinnitus and prefer to listen to my own music.  Bach, Billy Idol, Bluegrass etc.

There was music at the Retreat loud enough to make it hard to hear my music.

In the theater, more than once my Apple Watch warned me about noise louder than 90 decibels.  But I stayed for the rest of the show.