Bringing fruit on board at embarkation

I am boarding in San Francisco soon and my crew friends have said they’d love some fresh cherries out of my yard.  I read the pages of prohibited items on the Princess website and fresh fruit is NOT on that list. Has anyone had experience bringing any kind of fresh fruit on board when they embark?  When I did a google search I get conflicting information and I couldn’t find any documentation that it was prohibited. The cruise is to Alaska if that matters. Thank you in advance.  

2 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

you can only bring on prepackaged foods - No fresh food/fruit is allowed

Thanks for the quick reply. Did you find this on the Princess website?  I wasn’t able to. I’d really like to find the written policy if you or anyone could help I’d be most appreciative. 

We have always bought limes and lemons for our Gin and Tonics  on board when cruising as recently as April with no issues.    You cannot take fruit off the ship.

I am sure the crew will enjoy fresh cherries.  I am sure the cherries will be gone by the time you reach Alaska where there could be issues.

Edited by kiwimum
  • Like 2

I know that fruit can't be taken off a ship at many ports because of agricultural regulations but I am not aware of any rules about taking it on a ship in a case where it would then be consumed on the ship.

• Like 2

I couldn't (didn't try real hard) find the exact wording on the Princess website, but here is a link for reference.

I just got off HAL and it was the same.    Fruit/meats/homecooked meals are prohibited (especially fruit since it can carry pests & diseases.   Homecooked meals/meats because it can cause illness.   

https://www.cruzely.com/can-i-bring-food-and-snacks-on-a-cruise/

not fruit, but flowers ... can you take flowers onboard in Fort Lauderdale? what about taking the flowers that you bought from Princess while onboard - can you take them with you when you disembark?

Thanks to all for the fast replies! 

@voljeep I’ve never tried to bring flowers on but have read on these boards that others have. And no you cannot take the Princess flower arrangement with you when you disembark.  At least I was denied post pandemic.  I asked my favorite crew if they were interested in the arrangements and all said no as they had no room. Instead they accepted a single flower and loved it!  I was like Johnny Appleseed letting crew who wanted to select a flower. The girls put them in their hair it was quite festive!  

@cruzin4usthanks for the crew chat message. I saw the cruzely story but it had no documentation unfortunately.

@kiwimum Thanks for your very recent first hand account of bringing on fruit!  I do think I’ll bring them and risk it. If you’ve ever had a tree ripened cherry you will appreciate why it’s worth doing. I am sure they won’t make it to morning after boarding. They are simply perfect right now!

35 minutes ago, voljeep said:

not fruit, but flowers ... can you take flowers onboard in Fort Lauderdale? what about taking the flowers that you bought from Princess while onboard - can you take them with you when you disembark?

The same as fruit, you can bring them ON, but can't take them OFF.

Because I have to eat gluten free I have always taken food on board. Some pre packaged and some home made.   Things like rolls, cookies, snacks.    I have also taken flowers on board but they will not allow you to take them with you when you get off.   I was not the only one to do this especially in Tahiti where the arrangements are not only beautiful but very inexpensive.   If you take cut flowers be aware you need to bring a vase as Princess does not have any available.

6 minutes ago, pedirn said:

Because I have to eat gluten free I have always taken food on board. Some pre packaged and some home made.   Things like rolls, cookies, snacks.    I have also taken flowers on board but they will not allow you to take them with you when you get off.   I was not the only one to do this especially in Tahiti where the arrangements are not only beautiful but very inexpensive.   If you take cut flowers be aware you need to bring a vase as Princess does not have any available.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. 

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I am boarding in San Francisco soon and my crew friends have said they’d love some fresh cherries out of my yard.

Crew are not allowed to have non-packaged food in their cabins, and most lines don't allow open packages (like a large bag of chips) for pest control reasons.

4 minutes ago, pedirn said:

Some pre packaged and some home made.   Things like rolls, cookies, snacks.

While you may have done so, it is against USPH regulations to bring food on from "non-verified" sources, meaning your kitchen.

Cut flowers can come onboard, but not potted plants, or anything in soil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Crew are not allowed to have non-packaged food in their cabins, and most lines don't allow open packages (like a large bag of chips) for pest control reasons.

While you may have done so, it is against USPH regulations to bring food on from "non-verified" sources, meaning your kitchen.

Cut flowers can come onboard, but not potted plants, or anything in soil.

Thank you so much for your reply. Would you say fresh cherries are okay to bring on board? 

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thanks for the quick reply. Did you find this on the Princess website?  I wasn’t able to. I’d really like to find the written policy if you or anyone could help I’d be most appreciative. 

Go here in FAQ's:

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/

Then look down and expand Prohibited Items.

I do not see food items mentioned on a quick look-over.

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Go here in FAQ's:

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/

Then look down and expand Prohibited Items.

I do not see food items mentioned on a quick look-over.

I read this in detail and my passenger contract. I can find no reference to fresh fruit being prohibited. 

But I now know I can bring my small Swiss Army knife as it’s blade is under 2.5 inches in length  and less than .5 inch in width 🙂

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I am boarding in San Francisco soon and my crew friends have said they’d love some fresh cherries out of my yard.  I read the pages of prohibited items on the Princess website and fresh fruit is NOT on that list. Has anyone had experience bringing any kind of fresh fruit on board when they embark?  When I did a google search I get conflicting information and I couldn’t find any documentation that it was prohibited. The cruise is to Alaska if that matters. Thank you in advance.  

We've taken fresh fruit onboard, you just can't take it off with you.  

• Like 2

Just curious have you had any experience bringing on fresh fruit? 

---

We have a taken aboard a minimum of 5 large fresh whole limes* each cruise on our last 3 cruises out of San Pedro, carried at top of everything else in our carry-on backpacks -- on Majestic (December), Grand (December), and Discovery (April).

*To squeeze into and garnish Courvoisier and Ginger Ale 🙂.

---

Edited by RSS from SF

I have specifically brought on fresh fruit at both embarkation and ports of call as recently as late March.  (I like white grapefruit juice in my cocktails and fresh white grapefruit is superior to bottled).  In January, it was with the blessing of the executive chef and the storekeeper (white grapes for Sole Veronique). 

Thank you so much for your reply. Would you say fresh cherries are okay to bring on board? 

As stated, no its not okay, but many get away with it.  USPH requires that all "ready to eat" food, like fruits and produce be sanitized before serving.  This requires a chlorine or vinegar bath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3