Tipping in Specialty Restaurants?

juliacb

I'm curious to see how many people add a tip to their receipt when they sign out when dining in one of Azamara's specialty restaurants.

We have always done so but wondering if that is the norm.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, juliacb said:

I'm curious to see how many people add a tip to their receipt when they sign out when dining in one of Azamara's specialty restaurants.

We have always done so but wondering if that is the norm.

Thanks!

We always dine in the specialty restaurants, and never tip. Why would you. Tips are. Included in the cost of the cruise. Furthermore. I don't believe for one moment that absence of tipping made any difference to the standard of service, and if it were to do so, I would most certainly raise a complaint.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blag said:

We always dine in the specialty restaurants, and never tip. Why would you. Tips are. Included in the cost of the cruise. Furthermore. I don't believe for one moment that absence of tipping made any difference to the standard of service, and if it were to do so, I would most certainly raise a complaint.

Because tipping is a personal thing and some want to?

Personally, whenever I dine in the specialty restaurants I always tip extra and I've never had to forego it because of bad service, but it's totally your choice at the end of the day. Don't let people make you feel bad either way. 

Phil

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Yes very much personal choice. You do as you want depending on the experience you have had. Additional small tips are not required or expected but if you feel the service was above and beyond they are very welcome. Most times the service hits that spot 

• Like 2

We just got off the Quest yesterday,  We tipped every night at Prime C and Acquilina $10 or $15,  I also tipped the Prime C Bartender $10 every night we were at the bar.  They took great care of us and they deserved the tips.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mp8shnt said:

We just got off the Quest yesterday,  We tipped every night at Prime C and Acquilina $10 or $15,  I also tipped the Prime C Bartender $10 every night we were at the bar.  They took great care of us and they deserved the tips.

We do the same.

• Like 1

Voyager1964, we learned the hard way that you cannot use the OBC for tipping. We didn't realize you couldn't use the OBC until we got home and saw an additional charge on our credit cards for the amount we had tipped plus we lost out on the obc we thought we had used up..  Oh well, live and learn. 

7 minutes ago, juliacb said:

Voyager1964, we learned the hard way that you cannot use the OBC for tipping. We didn't realize you couldn't use the OBC until we got home and saw an additional charge on our credit cards for the amount we had tipped plus we lost out on the obc we thought we had used up..  Oh well, live and learn. 

It pays to check your onboard account a couple of times during a cruise.

If we have anything owing, we ensure it is paid before we depart with a statement in hand.

If any significant OBC remains, a trip to the shop or an extra nice bottle of wine for our last dinner.

• Like 1

We don’t tip in the speciality restaurants. In the first place we chose Azamara because they are inclusive. For us the inclusion of drinks and gratuities was important, we hated the fact that on other lines the cruise price was not the actual price because of the addition of a daily amount for gratuities.

• Like 20

13 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

We don’t tip in the speciality restaurants. In the first place we chose Azamara because they are inclusive. For us the inclusion of drinks and gratuities was important, we hated the fact that on other lines the cruise price was not the actual price because of the addition of a daily amount for gratuities.

My point exactly!

If one eats in a restaurant where an (unspecified - it could be as much as 15%) service charge is included in the price I don't believe that it is necessary to add a further tip.

Altruism? I don't think so.

'Each conscious act leads to some degree of satisfaction. Whether intended or not, each action leads to some sort of benefit for the actor. No matter how small the benefit may be, or how significant the action is, true altruism cannot exist when the actor receives a benefit.'

• Like 4

4 hours ago, blag said:

My point exactly!

If one eats in a restaurant where an (unspecified - it could be as much as 15%) service charge is included in the price I don't believe that it is necessary to add a further tip.

Altruism? I don't think so.

'Each conscious act leads to some degree of satisfaction. Whether intended or not, each action leads to some sort of benefit for the actor. No matter how small the benefit may be, or how significant the action is, true altruism cannot exist when the actor receives a benefit.'

I am pretty good at valuing partial altruism.

My tipping decisions reflect that.

• Like 3

I’m confused!  I thought tips were NOT included and I planned on using my OBC.  Could someone who has recently sailed with Azamara give me a definitive answer on both??

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, MomC said:

I’m confused!  I thought tips were NOT included and I planned on using my OBC.  Could someone who has recently sailed with Azamara give me a definitive answer on both??

Thanks!

YES, tips/gratuities are included, as per Azamara website listed inclusions and as has been the way since we first started cruising with them quite some years ago.

NO, you cannot use OBC associated with an Azamara promotion or B2B bonus.

But :

If your TA includes OBC from his/her agency (not from Azamara), that may be used for gratuities.

• Like 3

OMG, the virtue signalling is a bit tedious.  If you tip, why do you feel the need to advertise it?  When will people just accept that this whole tipping thing is culturally dependent and just stop flogging a dead horse?   Don't accept the culturally dependent part?  Then look at the location of the vast majority of those who are advertising the fact that they tip. In Japan it's essentially an insult.  In Australia we mostly don't and we get tired of hearing about it from those who do.  
OK, putting my flame-proof suit on now.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, lahore said:

If you tip, why do you feel the need to advertise it?

Whilst I don't tip when tipping/service charge/cover charge is included, and I share your views, I suspect that those who do tip, and have responded accordingly, will justify their posts as being a legitimate response to the topic. As such, they may not be 'advertising'.

Nevertheless there is a motive in tipping, and I don't believe altruism exists.

• Like 1

Puts tin hat on.

The tip system is really bad. It results in two tier service, I have read many people say we tip at the start of the cruise and we get really well looked after. If that server is giving you extra attention it normally means someone else might well not be getting the attention they have already paid, including service, for.

A honest days work in most of the world outside of North America results in an honest days pay, not a pay packet that is dependent upon the whims of if and what people tip

I find a number of people make  point of telling people how much they tip - why?

However my biggest issue is go to somewhere in Africa, parts of Asia and in many places you have people earning more on tips in the tourist industry then in essential professions. The amounts of money I have seen handed out to a fuel pump attendant is ridiculous. The results are that nurses, engineers etc who are really needed choose to serve drinks at a bar.

Finally the tip becomes demanded. Because one person tips, if you don't tip extra (I have seen this on a cruise ship only once but many times elsewhere)  you get abuse or a demand.

I suppose my point is that the process of tipping over and above the agreed service charge has a major impact on others, so it is not just a personal choice.

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, blag said:

"... will justify their posts as being a legitimate response to the topic. As such, they may not be 'advertising'..."

Yep, we agree. Sadly, I think the original topic/question is virtue signalling,  I'm sure the OP are really lovely people, but I just tire of hearing about how much or where people tip.  If I do or I don't, how is that relevant to anyone else? I'll try not to say anything else as I know this topic has the potential to go on ad infinitum and I think I've made my point.

Edited by lahore
  • Like 4

Its a personal choice. I am happy to tip if I feel I have got good service and show my gratitude, I certainly don't tip because "it's expected". That's not a boast or virtue signalling, but simply giving my thoughts on a very well documented question and my personal take on it. Its neither right or wrong - just my own take on the matter. Each to their own. There is no law to say you must tip and yes, it is unfortunately a cultural thing. My biggest bugbear on tipping is giving say a bar tender a big tip at the start to "Buy" attention. That for me is just wrong and spits in the face of other guests who are equally entitled to good service but now likely to be overlooked for the "me me me" individual.  That's incorrectly called tipping as its actually better known as a bribe.

It's something that will always create division with one side claiming its a boast and the other saying they are tight. I couldn't care what others think. I do what I feel comfortable about and feel its neither a boast or tight, but just right (for me).

Other than that you chose. Just the same is people who moan at others not wearing masks in places they don't need them. Different topic, same principles. Accept the rules and not apply to others a personal choice. I'll still wear one because I feel comfortable doing so, but I'm not going to malign someone because they haven't unless of course its a place they should be worn. (And even then, would probably move away than be confrontational.) Not everyone will do that of course.

I'm certainly far from a big tipper, but my last cruise I gave far more than I ever have before and did so at the end of the cruise to those I felt made a great effort along with a chunk to the crew fund. As I said, i was for going above and beyond. Having spent time in quarantine, missed our departure port and extended cruise for an extra 9 days cruise, it was small change on what that freebie would have cost and represented what I personally think tipping is about.  We felt down and they lifted our spiris. They couldn't have done more for us and I dont think they were trying to solicit a tip - though who knows. It worked if it was, though I don't think anything is wrong with that either.

Would I tip in the speciality restaurant? Probably not, but if I had several visits and felt I was given good service, I could be tempted. However, from what I've read recently, they can't even offer a drink on arrival, so that's definitely ruled out the notion of good service!

• Like 4

The fairest way to reward good service on an Azamara ship is to make a donation to the crew welfare fund via guest relations. This ensures that everyone seen and unseen involved in making your cruise special are rewarded. 
The fund pays for so many things, crew parties, bingo prizes (a big thing with crew I hear) and crew excursions. These excursions are often used as reward trips. I saw photos yesterday from one in Greece and it was clear the crew involved were having a really lovely time. 

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, uktog said:

The fairest way to reward good service on an Azamara ship is to make a donation to the crew welfare fund via guest relations. This ensures that everyone seen and unseen involved in making your cruise special are rewarded. 
The fund pays for so many things, crew parties, bingo prizes (a big thing with crew I hear) and crew excursions. These excursions are often used as reward trips. I saw photos yesterday from one in Greece and it was clear the crew involved were having a really lovely time. 

Agree (and did so for the first time on my last cruise)..... though on the negative side, it wont give that extra thank you for someone you feel went that extra bit and gives the same to someone you felt didn't deserve.

But as stated above, its all a personal thing with no real rights or wrongs, (apart from the bribers!)

• Like 2