What attire do people wear for RC's formal nights?

46 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Point to the post of this thread that judges people for choosing to dress casual. 

They couldn't have read the thread.  Probably just decided it had gone that way lol.

• Like 1

I remember on our first DCL cruise, they had strict dress codes for all nights in the dining rooms.  For men, shorts and non-collared shirts were not allowed in the dining rooms, and for women, no spaghetti straps or shorts, and no flip-flops for anyone.  The first night, there was a guy that came to the dining room wearing shorts.  They made an exception for him because his luggage had not yet been delivered to his room.  I remember that he looked very much out of place.  We ate at the specialty restaurant (Palo) and jackets were required for men, dresses or pant suits for women.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Not silly at all. It depends on the length of cruise and itinerary.

For 3 or 4-night cruises, it's night 2.

For 7-night cruises, it's usually either 2 or 3 (whichever is a sea day) and then night 6.

I'm not familiar with other lengths so others will have to chime in.

Another way to check is by looking at MDR menus in the app. Formal nights will have beef tenderloin on the 1st and lobster on the 2nd.

*NOTE: This is based on my knowledge of US sailings almost always to the Caribbean so if my answers don't apply, someone will have to chime in to correct me.

I was very surprised on our 8 night Mariner cruise that lobster night was not the second formal night.  Looking around the MDR I estimated 10% really dressed up, 70% in business casual type clothes and 20% in very casual outfits.  I had expected more people in formal dress.  The average age was fairly high and almost no children.

16 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Not exactly what ever you want.    They don’t want you wearing swim attire on formal night.  That’s about the only reason the have those.  

I believe (?) bathing attire is not allowed in the MDR at any time.

The entire point these days of formal nights on cruise ships is for the cruise line to sell overpriced photos.  

To paraphrase the words of Dr. Seuss -

Wear what you want...those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

21 minutes ago, ATG said:

I was very surprised on our 8 night Mariner cruise that lobster night was not the second formal night.  Looking around the MDR I estimated 10% really dressed up, 70% in business casual type clothes and 20% in very casual outfits.  I had expected more people in formal dress.  The average age was fairly high and almost no children.

Sounds similar to my experience. 

27 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I remember on our first DCL cruise, they had strict dress codes for all nights in the dining rooms.  For men, shorts and non-collared shirts were not allowed in the dining rooms, and for women, no spaghetti straps or shorts, and no flip-flops for anyone.  The first night, there was a guy that came to the dining room wearing shorts.  They made an exception for him because his luggage had not yet been delivered to his room.  I remember that he looked very much out of place.  We ate at the specialty restaurant (Palo) and jackets were required for men, dresses or pant suits for women.

When the Quantum was placed in service, they were offering "Dynamic Dining" and one of the restaurants was the Grande and it was formal only.  At the entrance they had spare jackets for those that were in need.😊

I remember many years ago, my bff and I took our dates to an Italian restaurant in NYC called "Mamma Leone's."  We did not realize that it was jacket required and had to wear those drab gray waiter's jackets' during our entire meal.  To make matters worse, when the bill came, my buddy took his Diner's Club charge card, except that it was not accepted at this restaurant.  It was so embarrassing to say the least.  We had to pool our money's and ask our dates for a loan.😁

Ps.  We both wound up marrying these fine ladies.

• Like 3

I'm a Stockbroker so I am accustomed to having a more formal dress code, I just throw on one of my Sports coats I fly in with no tie for formal night. Every other night I go with a dress shirt/polo and professional shorts or khakis/jeans. No judgments by my family on anyone else's attire. Enjoy your voyage !

6 minutes ago, GC999 said:

I'm a Stockbroker so I am accustomed to having a more formal dress code, I just throw on one of my Sports coats I fly in with no tie for formal night. Every other night I go with a dress shirt/polo and professional shorts or khakis/jeans. No judgments by my family on anyone else's attire. Enjoy your voyage !

What are professional shorts?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

What are professional shorts?

Before the pandemic I was travelling in warmer climates quite frequently for work.  I was able to acquire a collection over the years of more formal shorts that I could use for business/ and pleasure. In some locations many wore these with Blazers.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

If you say so Sherri.   👍

I do say so, Ptroxx.  2 Celebrity cruises and 8 Royal cruises since August.  I have my beach flip flops, everyday flip flops and my formal flip flops. And from what I’ve seen, I am not the only woman wearing flip flops.👍

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

I have my beach flip flops, everyday flip flops and my formal flip flops. And from what I’ve seen, I am not the only woman wearing flip flops.👍

At least for me, it can be hard to distinguish between "flip flops" and "casual women's shoes".  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rudeney said:

At least for me, it can be hard to distinguish between "flip flops" and "casual women's shoes".  

To me flip flops are the plastic shoes you wear to the beach.  I find backless shoes dangerous as you can trip and walk out of them.  I broke my foot on a Celebrity cruise ship and wouldn't recommend anybody wearing backless shoes- for safety reasons.  The ship might move and you can fall like I did.

55 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

I do say so, Ptroxx.  2 Celebrity cruises and 8 Royal cruises since August.  I have my beach flip flops, everyday flip flops and my formal flip flops. And from what I’ve seen, I am not the only woman wearing flip flops.👍

Sherri🙂

Let’s see some pics of your “Flip Flops”. 

woman wear flat shoes/Sandals. .  You may call them flip flops.  
But there not a plastic/rubber 

https://askanydifference.com/difference-between-flip-flops-and-sandals/

41 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Let’s see some pics of your “Flip Flops”. 

woman wear flat shoes/Sandals. .  You may call them flip flops.  
But there not a plastic/rubber 

https://askanydifference.com/difference-between-flip-flops-and-sandals/

Sorry, Ptroxx, I am not in the habit of taking pictures  of my shoes or feet, for that matter.🙄.  And I don’t have your computer skills but I am sure if you are really interested in seeing my flips that you can google Kohls Skecher flip flops for Women and you will get a full page or more.  Some of them are called wedge sandals, some are called thong sandals and some are even called flip flops!

My current favs for formal night are navy blue platform made from what is called Yoga foam, which in this case is a hard RUBBER material.  They have the thong  strap that goes in between the first and second toe, which is an identifying feature of flip flop and there is no back.  My thong  strap is embellished with fake jewels.  
They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.😂

Sherri🙂

Why in the world are posters questioning other posters on their flip flops?

Who cares what she wears or what she calls them? This forum is a trip. 🤣

Edited by OCSC Mike

There are those of you that will look horrible no matter how formal of an attire you adorn.

There are those of you that will look amazing even in the shabbiest of clothing.

There are rules for the attire of each evening, follow them . . . . or not.

18 minutes ago, rudeney said:

This is what I think of a s flip-flop:

image.png.5811b252a7c78c09037b3821ccec2146.png

This is more of a "shoe":

image.png.f860628b5880cff3e8fa1e060327f914.png

The first one is the type I would use for the pool or beach.  The second picture is more of an everyday one but I would never wear that as it is not cute!😂

Sherri🙂

• Haha 1