Bacon shortage? 🤣🤣

Indianamale

I do not choose food when booking a cruise.  Itinerary, value and customer service is why I cruise.  If you can book less than two months out, Alaska seems to be very competitive.  If you have to plan I would not know.  I am a last minute cruiser.  I tried Carnival for the first time 10 years on the Panorama in January.  Have since cruised on the Spirit and Splendor.  If it wasn't for the VIFP price I wouldn't have tried.  There was nothing different between the ships.  Red, white, blue and blaaaaaaaa.  Had a great cruises and I like Walmart,  but I will prefer to cruise other cruise lines.

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

For fun I checked. 

3 times what I am paying for our Feb 2023 cruise with Carnival. Same port. Same stops.  Same time frame.  Same room type. 

Don't get me wrong. No shade to those who want to pay for the extras.  There are times I do too.  My point was merely you can't compare the two. 

I cruise on both, especially when Princess gives me a deal. Princess may be swankier, but is also more sedate, borderline comatose as the night hours pass.

In common there is usually a line of angry people constantly complaining at guest services, although on Princess they are more likely to preface their complaint with, "Do you know how much I paid for this cruise?"

Princess does lead on Internet these days, but bacon is a don't care. I've already eaten far more than is healthy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I check all the time too and Carnival always wins out in the end, even when the competition run "specials" and toss in add ons. I see posters in other sub forums here say that they only pay a bit more than Carnival rates, and by their accounts of what they paid it seems like it in a few instances, but I sure never seem to find those rates. It's usually 50% more for comparable itineraries and when you sail as a family, it adds up quickly. Saving $500 per passenger is $2500 for me, not peanuts. 

One of the more known travel blogs tracked cruise pricing for years, and it's clear that Carnival will, at some, nearly always have the lowest price - by a wide margin.

Secondly, it costs less (on average) to cruise in 2022 than in 2002... and that's not even adjusting for inflation.

Thirdly, cutbacks aren't unique to Carnival -- they've been widespread throughout the travel industry, generally as a means to keep prices low (and sometimes as a means to generate more revenue).  No different than shrinkflation at your local grocery store.  There are a couple legitimate complaints, but most of the cutbacks cited on this forum are silly.  E.g. how many chocolates (placed on pillows) were tossed?  Few people wash their sheets more than once per week (the average is once 2-4 weeks), does it make sense to wash it every day on the ship?  Is it really necessary to print tens of thousands of copies of Fun Times per day, when most will go straight into the trash?  Sometimes... progress isn't cutbacks, even if you don't agree.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

Take another look.  Most of RCL’s cruises out of Pedro follow the same 3/4 schedule as the Radiance.  Only a handful do 7.  And while I haven’t looked at next year, most of NCL’s cruise were the same.  Princess is also offering more cruises than usual, most of which are  3/4/5.

What ship is NCL using for their shorter cruises out of San Pedro?

I read through a bit of this and I apologize but I am confused. Is the bacon shortage a permanent cutback? I see some responses here indicating maybe it's a permanenet cut..?

I can see a lot of the other things being cut, like sheet washing... but bacon is a bit harsh. I do love me some bacon. Just charge us more for our cruise or maybe stop offering some cruisers super low fares and give us bacon. I never pay rock bottom prices. So yeah, I don't think bacon is too much to ask, sorry. Also, I love tea and since a lot of other drinks are an upcharge, like soda, then I do feel we should be offered a variety of tea bags as well. Maybe those who disagree either aren't huge bacon/tea lovers or are sailing for like $100-300, I don't know. Please be respectful that others have different opinions and that does not make them whiners. There may be something else about Carnival that you don't prefer that we might be just fine with. Just sayin'

• Like 1

There was no shortage of bacon on my most recent cruise (30APR Panorama) -- it was at the breakfast buffet (but served to you), an option for your burger, etc.  But with bacon pricing up 30% - 40% since the start of the pandemic, I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival is limiting its availability on some cruises.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, oyme said:

I read through a bit of this and I apologize but I am confused. Is the bacon shortage a permanent cutback? I see some responses here indicating maybe it's a permanenet cut..?

I can see a lot of the other things being cut, like sheet washing... but bacon is a bit harsh. I do love me some bacon. Just charge us more for our cruise or maybe stop offering some cruisers super low fares and give us bacon. I never pay rock bottom prices. So yeah, I don't think bacon is too much to ask, sorry. Also, I love tea and since a lot of other drinks are an upcharge, like soda, then I do feel we should be offered a variety of tea bags as well. Maybe those who disagree either aren't huge bacon/tea lovers or are sailing for like $100-300, I don't know. Please be respectful that others have different opinions and that does not make them whiners. There may be something else about Carnival that you don't prefer that we might be just fine with. Just sayin'

People are assuming it is. 

It seems to be two camps of people. Those who would rather pay lower rates and don’t mind things and those who would willingly pay more. 

56 minutes ago, oyme said:

Maybe they can do with bacon like the do with the havana area. You pay a little more and that allows you to have bacon every day. Maybe give you a wristband or have it imbedded on your card.

Edited by Illbcruzn4life
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Illbcruzn4life said:

Maybe they can do with bacon like the do with the havana area. You pay a little more and that allows you to have bacon every day. Maybe give you a wristband or have imbedded on your card.

Haha that'd be hilarious but sure I guess.

5 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

People are assuming it is. 

It seems to be two camps of people. Those who would rather pay lower rates and don’t mind things and those who would willingly pay more. 

Yup, always the case with such things. Being the budget option, if they upped rates a little to cover bacon and teas it wouldn't be much p/p and the people would have no choice but to pay the difference.

5 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Maybe they can do with bacon like the do with the havana area. You pay a little more and that allows you to have bacon every day. Maybe give you a wristband or have it imbedded on your card.

A "BIP" wristband, Bacon important person. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/26/2022 at 5:45 PM, oyme said:

Yup, always the case with such things. Being the budget option, if they upped rates a little to cover bacon and teas it wouldn't be much p/p and the people would have no choice but to pay the difference.

If Carnival is listening.....raise my price $25 per cruise and bring back bacon and decent steaks.  I would up it to $40 if you find a way to get the food on the Lido to be held at the proper temps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ray98 said:

If Carnival is listening.....raise my price $25 per cruise and bring back bacon and decent steaks.  I would up it to $40 if you find a way to get the food on the Lido to be held at the proper temps.

You can eat bacon every day in the dining room. And you can order a decent steak in the dining room every evening under the Steakhouse Selections menu. FWIW I've eaten the strip loin at least once every cruise since the restart (3 so far...) and some are certainly better than others - but when they're good, they're just as good as the steak that it replaced.

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

You can eat bacon every day in the dining room. And you can order a decent steak in the dining room every evening under the Steakhouse Selections menu. FWIW I've eaten the strip loin at least once every cruise since the restart (3 so far...) and some are certainly better than others - but when they're good, they're just as good as the steak that it replaced.

same. 

Except my kid got the steak every time. Some days were better than others. 

4 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

same. 

Except my kid got the steak every time. Some days were better than others. 

Yes, some of the strip loins I got were very grissly and tough. Others were delicious and I ate every single bite. I think if they'd just improve the consistency somehow, they'd do well. The prime rib is consistently good, so if they can apply that to the strip loin they'd be in good shape.

24 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Of course you can.  The point is not to long ago I could dine at any location for breakfast and find something as simple as bacon available.  I could dine in the MDR on any night and find a decent steak without paying another $20.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:55 AM, Itried4498 said:

Is it really necessary to print tens of thousands of copies of Fun Times per day, when most will go straight into the trash?  

All the papers that come into the cabin daily- from art auctions to specials in the spa- every day. Invitations to buy jewelry. They really need to cut that out. A waste of paper & man hours.

4 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Of course you can.  The point is not to long ago I could dine at any location for breakfast and find something as simple as bacon available.  I could dine in the MDR on any night and find a decent steak without paying another $20.

But you just said you're willing to pay more for better steak...bizarre argumentation.

Anyway, I used to be able to fill up my truck for $25 or less. Now I'm paying closer to $100. A lot of things are different in this "post COVID" society. Like it or lump it as they say.

Edited by mz-s
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mz-s said:

But you just said you're willing to pay more for better steak...bizarre argumentation.

Anyway, I used to be able to fill up my truck for $25 or less. Now I'm paying closer to $100. A lot of things are different in this "post COVID" society. Like it or lump it as they say.

Not bizarre at all....I am not a fan of upcharges and limitations for basic items.  If the other lines can do it, their direct competition, I expect Carnival should be able to sort it out also.