Outrageous Cost of Alcohol Package

20 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

If someone wants to get the drink package, not one person on here is saying they shouldn't.  They are saying it might not be worth it to THEM, but how is that any different than saying it is worth it to them?

Sometimes I wonder if RC board members post here when I see all of the defensive reactions to anything critical of RC. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We are D+ and also have a hard time getting close to the 5 drinks a day, especially when you get off the ship with long port times. 🙂

Us too.  Even buying a specialty coffee in the morning, I have only used all of mine a couple of times out of 34 cruising days since the restart and DH has never used all of his.  Some of these doing the package are also spending for drinks ashore on top of the package and not using as many onboard.   

The one thing I have seen over the years since the package has been offered is that most of those that buy it do their darndest to drink as much as they can to make it worth their while.  There are a few that would drink as much regardless of the package, but a lot wouldn't and there have been posters report as such.  Port intensive cruises make it much harder.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

The problem isn't just the price in a vacuum, it's not knowing if the quality is worth it.

That is true with everything in life and every purchase. Your expectations at $72 and others could be quite different. RCI provides

opportunities to provide feedback. 

On 5/28/2022 at 5:11 PM, baelor said:

Was this in the 80s?  Those prices seem crazy low.

Agreed. 

On 5/28/2022 at 5:11 PM, baelor said:

I mean, prices are high both at those events and on cruises because you are a captive audience.  

Another version of your point, he cost of popcorn at the movies. 

2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

I for one am impressed with the capacity and control of some people's bladders when reading these numbers.

Some folks have strong bladders. They get in the pool first thing and do not leave all day. 😳😂

• Haha 6

I think you have to think long and hard if you are a Diamond Member or higher about purchasing the DBP in less you are a Alcoholic and drink like a fish out of water.😜🤣

You get home from your cruise and people ask you what you did on your cruise. Drink likes there no tomorrow...... 🙂

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Some folks have strong bladders. They get in the pool first thing and do not leave all day. 😳😂

Don't forget the hot tub too.  We don't get in either lol.

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

I think you have to think long and hard if you are a Diamond Member or higher about purchasing the DBP in less you are a Alcoholic and drink like a fish out of water.😜🤣

Be careful to label people that you don’t know. We’re D+ and have never used the drink vouchers. We purchase the DBP as I don’t want to sit and count drinks. Too many people assume what others intentions are when they really should worry about themselves. Comments on this thread is why we avoid the Diamond/suites lounges like the plague. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

That is true with everything in life and every purchase. Your expectations at $72 and others could be quite different. RCI provides

opportunities to provide feedback. 

I’m not sure then why you asked what he’d be kicking about. 

I have been saying for years (pretty much since the DBP was introduced) that I won't buy it.  We aren't quite yet Diamond so no vouchers, but we cruise in (full) suites so we have access to evening cocktails in the CL, and we bring two bottles of wine onboard.  We do enjoy some beverages, but we don't drink all day.  We don't drink many soft drinks or specialty coffees, but we will have bottled water and my wife likes OJ with her breakfast. 

Our drink expenses have always been less than what we'd have paid for the DBP, but for our next cruise, I went ahead and bought it - $65 during the Memorial Day sale.  It's not a good value, but neither are the drink prices onboard (although they are competitive with local prices).  I just decided that it's a vacation, so what the heck.  I won't consciously try to "get my money's worth", but I will probably drink more than normal, just because I won't be thinking about spending money.  It may mean that we don't visit the CL lounge as much.  And while I do enjoy that, I don't like the Scotch brands they serve there - I prefer Chivas or Johnnie to Dewar's.  

• Like 1

Also to be acknowledged, the marketing ploys they use on us to make us want to buy.....the photo spreads of all the liquor and beverages, the idea that we can try all kinds of exotic drinks and if we don't like them, we can just order something else, the constant sales and toying with the prices, the convenience of having your bar tab already paid for...  Do I realistically want to consume that much liquid and alcohol? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I have been saying for years (pretty much since the DBP was introduced) that I won't buy it.  We aren't quite yet Diamond so no vouchers, but we cruise in (full) suites so we have access to evening cocktails in the CL, and we bring two bottles of wine onboard.  We do enjoy some beverages, but we don't drink all day.  We don't drink many soft drinks or specialty coffees, but we will have bottled water and my wife likes OJ with her breakfast. 

Our drink expenses have always been less than what we'd have paid for the DBP, but for our next cruise, I went ahead and bought it - $65 during the Memorial Day sale.  It's not a good value, but neither are the drink prices onboard (although they are competitive with local prices).  I just decided that it's a vacation, so what the heck.  I won't consciously try to "get my money's worth", but I will probably drink more than normal, just because I won't be thinking about spending money.  It may mean that we don't visit the CL lounge as much.  And while I do enjoy that, I don't like the Scotch brands they serve there - I prefer Chivas or Johnnie to Dewar's.  

We have never bought it and I never worry about the cost of anything I order.  We buy what we want when we want but never sweat the cost of each drink because we are on vacation.  So, it's possible to not buy the package and not worry/think about the cost.  But, this thread was started by someone concerned about the "outrageous" cost of the package.  There are a few ways to not spend as much as the packages cost or someone can be upset about the cost and still buy it.  I'd love to know what the "tipping" point would be for those that always buy the package in order for them to not buy it.

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

Be careful to label people that you don’t know. We’re D+ and have never used the drink vouchers. We purchase the DBP as I don’t want to sit and count drinks. Too many people assume what others intentions are when they really should worry about themselves. Comments on this thread is why we avoid the Diamond/suites lounges like the plague. 

You must be on of Royal's favorite customers.  Blindly pay for a drink package and never take the time to see what you're actually getting in return.

Not something I'd be posting.

Maybe folks here are thinking about this wrong. Maybe this should be a discussion about making your drinking dollar go further while on your cruise vacation. That way they could/would "stick it to RC" for the high priced drink package. 

For example, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the original rum runners at this point. What about Alcohol Powder, from looking it gets good reviews on Amazon.  If you are a more hands on person, you could make your own Hooch or Bruno on your 7 or more day sailing.  It typically takes 5-7 days to brew, from reading on-line. Don't forget to bring your jug or zip-loc bag from home, as you don't want to make it in the toilet. Just drink up after its brewed but watch out for any botulism outbreaks with you or your cabin roomates.  I guess you could attend the art auction on every sea day for the free champagne. Clearly this does not include any hard earned vouchers you may have earned from years of brand loyalty. 

As an alternative I guess one could also over consume while off the ship on port heavy sailings, such as Cozumel. Do some pretend window shopping for jewelery in port and consume that free wine/champagne/beer that Tanzonite International hands out. Or if you are more spirited head over to Senior Frogs for the free pour shots.  Most people make it back to the ship while being pushed in a wheel chair. Others that don't, while they get a longer stay in Cozumel.

Everything above is tongue in cheek humour/sarcasm, but perhaps might become a thing of the future if UBP stays at the high cost listed today. Who knows, maybe rum runners and booze smuggling threads will be more common than Covid and dress code discussions as recent history. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

We are on the Serenade now and the Explorer last month. On both ships on day 1 they were selling the drink package at buy 1 full price get the second for 50% off. Still expensive but not the numbers you were talking. 

8 hours ago, vjmatty said:

There is a difference between simply shooting down the DBP package for being expensive and being helpful by offering alternative suggestions, such as OBC which at the end can be refunded if not used, (unlike packages) or taking advantage of other cheaper, legal, non-smuggling ways to avoid the cost of the DBP.  That is what this website is for, giving people answers, advice, suggestions, etc.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with letting people know it is ok not to buy the package if they find it expensive.  That is why most people come here and say they won't buy it.  The higher the price goes, the more people are on the fence.  It's ok to help people get off the fence in one direction or the other.  Why begrudge only those recommending against it?  The website is called Cruise Critic for a reason.  Maybe the site should just disallow topics about the DBP since people are so sensitive to criticism of it, or take a "five-star reviews only" approach.  I think it is easier to just let members scroll on if they don't like a topic, but apparently that's just me.

None of this is relevant to anything I said.  In my very first post, which in fact was the first advice post in the entire thread, I explicitly stated that only OP could decide whether the package was worth it for them.

5 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Your anecdotal experience?  Of all of 6 weeks?

Plus lurking, sure.  There have been a good number of DBP threads within that timespan.

And why is YOUR "anecdotal experience" any more valid than mine?

It's not in isolation.  But I have the benefit of this thread and every other recent thread being consistent with my anecdotal experience and completely inconsistent with yours.  Which is why I asked you to quote the posts.

Personally, I found your post calling people "small minded" rude and insulting, and it read as you thought that because they disagreed with you.  If someone wants to get the drink package, not one person on here is saying they shouldn't.  They are saying it might not be worth it to THEM, but how is that any different than saying it is worth it to them?

It's not, which is why my very first post said exactly that.  AFAIK no one in this post suggested that OP should just get the package regardless of their personal preferences/habits.

In contrast on this very page (6), we have a user suggesting that anyone who gets the package while being D+ is an alcoholic.

I still say reality aligns with my description of it, not yours.

2 minutes ago, baelor said:

None of this is relevant to anything I said.  In my very first post, which in fact was the first advice post in the entire thread, I explicitly stated that only OP could decide whether the package was worth it for them.

Of course only the OP can decide what the OP will do. The rest of us offer input, just like any other thread.  That is why the site is called Cruise Critic, people come here for opinions, advice, reviews and the occasional vent.  If the OP didn’t want responses they could have posted on the blue F social media site and turned off responses. 

1 minute ago, vjmatty said:

Of course only the OP can decide what the OP will do. The rest of us offer input, just like any other thread.  That is why the site is called Cruise Critic, people come here for opinions, advice, reviews and the occasional vent.  If the OP didn’t want responses they could have posted on the blue F social media site and turned off responses. 

I agree 100%.

I just think that advice that is nothing more than bottom-line conclusions about what the advice-giver does is generally unhelpful.

"Here are my preferences and parameters.  Should I get an interior or exterior balcony?"

"We get owner's suites."

Uh...okay.  I guess it is technically "advice," but it sure isn't helpful advice.  

There have been threads where people ask where the best coffee on board is, only to be notified by certain users that they don't drink coffee at all.  Why post that?  It comes across as being a super old person who barely knows how to communicate over the internet.

Out of interest does the US $ DBP price on the cruise planner include the gratuity or is that added during checkout?

I'm UK based and the price shows as £67.74 ($87) per day, discounted from the onboard price of £92.75 ($113). 

These seem higher than the onboard prices (currently $98) but I'm wondering if that's because the UK cruise planner includes the gratuity in the quoted price, or are we just being ripped off with an awful exchange rate? 

1 minute ago, baelor said:

I agree 100%.

I just think that advice that is nothing more than bottom-line conclusions about what the advice-giver does is generally unhelpful.

"Here are my preferences and parameters.  Should I get an interior or exterior balcony?"

"We get owner's suites."

Uh...okay.  I guess it is technically "advice," but it sure isn't helpful advice.  

There have been threads where people ask where the best coffee on board is, only to be notified by certain users that they don't drink coffee at all.  Why post that?  It comes across as being a super old person who barely knows how to communicate over the internet.

You don’t think it’s helpful, when someone complains about the drink package cost, for people to respond why they don’t buy it?  Some feel they need permission or reinforcement in their decision to forgo it. I can understand why it’s helpful to hear that it’s not for everyone, since there are so many threads with people stressing over it. 

I do agree the alcoholic comments are uncalled for, but I didn’t get that your reaction  was limited to those. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mark_UK said:

Out of interest does the US $ DBP price on the cruise planner include the gratuity or is that added during checkout?

I'm UK based and the price shows as £67.74 ($87) per day, discounted from the onboard price of £92.75 ($113). 

These seem higher than the onboard prices (currently $98) but I'm wondering if that's because the UK cruise planner includes the gratuity in the quoted price, or are we just being ripped off with an awful exchange rate? 

US gratuity is added at checkout. The price displayed on the cruise planner front page does not include the 18%

• Like 1