Eclipse, what have crew been doing for the cancelled 22 May to 29 May Hubbard Glacier.

Spartan Tartan

Anyone know what the officers and crew would have been doing while they await the removal of barnacles?

I understand ship maintenance would be up there, but what about servers, wait staff, spa and shop employees.  Have they had this time off?

Where was the dry dock located to remove barnacles?

2 hours ago, Spartan Tartan said:

Anyone know what the officers and crew would have been doing while they await the removal of barnacles?

I understand ship maintenance would be up there, but what about servers, wait staff, spa and shop employees.  Have they had this time off?

Where was the dry dock located to remove barnacles?

Dry dock was in Portland, Oregon.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, disgirl said:

I hope they have been training, clearing quarantine and sanitizing the ship after all the covid cases.  

The next load of cruisers will contaminate the ship again!

13 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

They do a lot of extra cleaning, inventory maintenance, training, and some well-deserved time off.

Hope they're stocking some decent wines for the PBP and training their crew members especially those serving on the MDR. 

The crew on the ship wouldn’t have much to do with ordering wine, most of those decisions are made in Miami.  But if any pallets arrive and need to be unpacked they would be doing that.  Portland is not a usual port so I actually wouldn’t expect much restocking to be taking place.

6 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Hope they're stocking some decent wines for the PBP and training their crew members especially those serving on the MDR. 

If the wine selection is lacking you can always bring your own.  What one person considers “decent” another person may not like at all.  Palates vary…

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

Probably doing the same thing they did during the many months they were on board with no guests while anchored. Still working and training but with more breaks and down time.

Most of the crew/staff went home.  

For a single week dry dock, its not worth having the crew leave. They'll be feeding the dry dock crew that are staying onboard, etc.

However, they will probably have some downtime, and hopefully the ability to to go ashore for a bit.

6 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Wine shelves in Portland stocked well for local wines.   Lots of items out of stock for imported wine/liquor and small US distillers.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, islabahia said:

If the wine selection is lacking you can always bring your own.  What one person considers “decent” another person may not like at all.  Palates vary…

I just bought a favorite wine this weekend and will save for a future cruise along with another from my stock. 

When the ships were out of service they kept a skeleton crew on board. They needed staff to maintain the engines, and do all kinds of work keeping the interiors operational, like flushing all the toilets on a regular schedule.

Prior to the ships’ returns to service, crew began arriving to get them ready.

Since then, some crew have worked seven or eight months continuously with no time off.

During this week out off service they would still be working every day but with fewer duties.

As an aside, tipped crew receive some compensation in lieu of gratuities when there are no guests on board.

49 minutes ago, Peteymil said:

I think the poster meant during the Covid downtime when the ship wasn't sailing.

Not so.  The title of the thread is:  What have crew been doing for the cancelled 22 May to 29 May Hubbard Glacier.  It's easy to miss titles, I often do it myself.

Edited by TeaBag

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

Not so.  The title of the thread is:  What have crew been doing for the cancelled 22 May to 29 May Hubbard Glacier.  It's easy to miss titles, I often do it myself.Because obviously they did not go home for one week.

I wasn't talking about the OP. I was talking about the poster who said they went home, Because obviously they did not go home for one week.

Edited by Peteymil
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Mark_K said:

Most of the crew/staff went home.  

The ones I am in contact with did not go home. Even ones who have been on board for 6 months.

If they went home they would need to quarantine when they went back to the ship…