Embarking enroute

masscruiser2010

Has anyone ever paid full fare for a cruise, but boarded the ship (deliberately -- some call it downlining) at the first or second stop after it sailed?  Is downlining something Princess would agree to if arranged in advance?  If so, who do you have to contact to get it approved?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, masscruiser2010 said:

Has anyone ever paid full fare for a cruise, but boarded the ship (deliberately -- some call it downlining) at the first or second stop after it sailed?  Is downlining something Princess would agree to if arranged in advance?  If so, who do you have to contact to get it approved?

Thanks.

Pre-covid, it was doable if there was no PVSA violation, but with covid, downlining is not allowed.

Just now, masscruiser2010 said:

Thanks for the quick response.  I know COVID halted downlining on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.  Princess too?

Thanks

Pretty much any line, as the covid protocols get real complicated.

27 minutes ago, racj846 said:

Suggest only Princess will know FOR SURE!  Best to call them I think.

And hope you get someone who knows/cares. That, these days, is a tall order. 

If it were me, I'd be 100% satisfied with the response offered by  @chengkp75

Edited by Bgwest
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, masscruiser2010 said:

Thanks.

Suggestion to ask your question on the “Chat” feature & let us know what they say. 

Tom😀

A couple of passengers missed embarkation for a Hawaii cruise in February.  I know one was due to EZ AIR.  Princess flew them over and put them up at a hotel until the Grand arrived.  Maybe that person will chime in.

Well, my TA talked to Princess this morning and the rep filled out an “Itinerary Deviation Request Form” and said it would take a couple of weeks to have it processed.  Didn't sound like there would be a problem, but we'll see.  I'll let everyone know.

• Thanks 1

In record time, the Princess response came back today.  DENIED!  No explanation.  Just a flat rejection of the request.  Since there was no PVSA issue involved, I guess we know that Princess, at least at the moment, is NOT approving requests for downlining.

7 hours ago, masscruiser2010 said:

In record time, the Princess response came back today.  DENIED!  No explanation.  Just a flat rejection of the request.  Since there was no PVSA issue involved, I guess we know that Princess, at least at the moment, is NOT approving requests for downlining.

Sure sounds like @chengkp75 was correct.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:08 PM, masscruiser2010 said:

Although it is not quite the same, we had a similar situation.  We asked for permission to leave the ship for 5 nights and travel on our own, rejoining the ship in another country later. We were immediately denied with no explanation other than a generic list of possible reasons. I called my travel agent and she called the deviation department or whatever it was called. The deviation was approved the next day and I received an email confirming it. Neither my travel agent or the person at Princess could figure out why it was rejected. If it is important to you I would at least ask your travel agent or whoever submitted the request to find out the reason. It’s possible because you would be checking in for the first time it really is denied, but I’d give it another try. 
This happened within the last couple of weeks. It’s current. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 7:45 PM, chengkp75 said:

Pre-covid, it was doable if there was no PVSA violation, but with covid, downlining is not allowed.

On 5/30/2022 at 7:58 PM, chengkp75 said:

Pretty much any line, as the covid protocols get real complicated.

I just found your posts when looking for PCL's contact (email, phone extension) for Route Deviations.  Mine is pretty simple.. an Italian port (Messina) just prior to end of voyage in another Italian port (Civi).  This is in late October and Covid-19 protocols could be almost non-existent.  Already, things are relaxed for entering Italy, so hoping this can work.  But I am not dying on a cross for it to happen.

I just looked at a transpacific from San Diego to Japan via Hawaii.  This voyage will let you board in Honolulu (same fare).  Haven't seen that before.  I'm guessing that it does not violate the PVSA so is acceptable.  

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I just looked at a transpacific from San Diego to Japan via Hawaii.  This voyage will let you board in Honolulu (same fare).  Haven't seen that before.  I'm guessing that it does not violate the PVSA so is acceptable.  

Passenger boarding in Honolulu sailing to Japan is a one way international route and is not covered by PVSA law. The PVSA conditions apply to ocean travel between different US ports. 

Edited by skynight

In December, there were several passengers who joined the ship in Cozumel because they missed it in Fort Lauderdale. I saw the group of them boarding. On my February cruise, several people missed the ship due to airline delays and cancellations. On our rollcall thread, some of them said that initially EZair was going to book them to catch up with the ship in Costa Maya with flights through Mexico City. EZair later said that Covid restrictions would prevent that from happening.