My kids passports expire in 5 1/2 months...how rigid is the 6 month rule?

You could look into the time frame of getting them by the time of your cruise. If there is time, go through the renewal process ASAP.

In the past, it was possible to go directly to a passport office and the passport would be processed quickly. Check to see if this is still possible and/or if there is a passport office in your area.

Also check if Bermuda accepts a birth certificate to enter the country.

MJ

Thank you all. 

I realized a few weeks ago mine expires 2 weeks after the cruise, so that's already in process. But only now realized the kids do too 5 months later. I think the plan is to just bring passports, photo lDs, and birth certificates for EVERYONE...better to be safe than sorry 🙂

We sailed in March on EOS out of SanJuan.  My passport expired two days after I returned from the cruise.  I had no problems.  I handed the cruise agent who was boarding us onto the ship.  I made no comments other than handling him the passport and other paperwork.  Guess what?  In about 5 minutes we were on the ship looking for our Muster station.  Have a great cruise.

Bill

If for some reason you would feel more comfortable renewing, we got ours back in 13 days - that counts the day I put them in the mail until the day they were received.  Based on your roll call, it looks like you sail July 21st, so you "probably" have enough time.  But honestly, it's not necessary.

OP, if you do go for the renewal-

I suggest scanning/printing a copy of the expired passports before mailing. This way if the renewals are not back in time you at least have something (along with a copy of the renewal form that you sent) with the passport info

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ngrund said:

OP, if you do go for the renewal-

I suggest scanning/printing a copy of the expired passports before mailing. This way if the renewals are not back in time you at least have something (along with a copy of the renewal form that you sent) with the passport info

Which will count for nothing; at that point just grab your DL and BC

My passport expires in early July, due to a trip we have planned for August where I definitely need a passport, I sent mine in April 26th.  It is still “in process”. 

We were able to catch a really good deal for a cruise on Allure, May 2.  First time I have ever cruised with birth certificate and DL.  It was super easy, the first agent at checkin sent us over to the desk, agent typed in something and we boarded.  Getting off was even easier, customs agent barely looked at anything, I was out before my husband and his passport.

I had our original wedding license  (49 years!) with me to use as a bridging document but no one asked to see any further documentation.  

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CuseJeff44 said:

We are sailing to Bermuda from NJ. I just realized my kid's passports both expire in 5 1/2 months. I don't think I have time to get new ones. 

Are we screwed?

A renewal can take less than 6 weeks, so you have plenty of time.  Plus, you don't need a passport on closed loop cruises.  (there are few exceptions, but Bermuda is not one of them)

9 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Which will count for nothing; at that point just grab your DL and BC

actually, I have read about times where a passport was forgotten and the authorities accepted a scanned copy e-mailed to the traveler crossing the border-

On 6/1/2022 at 2:43 PM, CuseJeff44 said:

Thank you all. 

I realized a few weeks ago mine expires 2 weeks after the cruise, so that's already in process. But only now realized the kids do too 5 months later. I think the plan is to just bring passports, photo lDs, and birth certificates for EVERYONE...better to be safe than sorry 🙂

Your kid's passports are perfectly valid. Even yours was.  You're wasting your time packing the rest.

When is the last time you read that somone was denied boarding with a valid passport?

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2022 at 6:28 PM, cruisinfanatic said:

When is the last time you read that somone was denied boarding with a valid passport?

The forum police swear it happens...

I've traveled internatuonally a half dozen times on a passport with less than 6 months on it.  Never once had a problem.  If they won't give me trouble flying in and out of the country, it's not happening for a loop cruise....

• Thanks 1