Getting new cabin (leaving cabin mate) once aboard

CruiseShelly

13 years ago I sailed with a best girlfriend of 37 years. We only saw each other once or twice a year, but it was apparent something was terribly wrong with her. I have often though about the 'what if's'. 

Just curious what anyone else's experiences have been regarding what would have happened if I had gone to hotel management, explained the situation and asked to be moved to a different cabin, regardless of the expense they would have thrown at me to make sure I was safe and could sleep at night. Would they have said, of course madam, right away madam, or would I have been sleeping in a lounge somewhere to escape the scary odd things that were happening?

At the time, I cracked it up to me overreacting to her oddities (tv on all night at full volume, wandering away from dinner for 20-30 minutes at a time, refusing to sit next to me on the flight coming home, refusal to share her photos with me as I dropped my camera about day three and jammed the film advancer, things like that.)  Within two months after the cruise having learned she was stalking someone and 90% of what I had based our friendship on were lies. I realized she was having a severe problem, called her brother, who blew me off. I had to end the friendship.

***** Please only answers related to your having secured a second cabin, or no, HAL said 'grin and bear it, too bad'.******

24 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

If you explained that you felt unsafe I believe your request to move would be accommodated. Evolution of laws and policies that municipalities and private companies have had to adapt to would almost certainly dictate that.

I don’t think the cruise line is going to stand in judgement of one passenger over another unless there was direct cause.  That would become a nightmare every time any couple would have an argument.  If you can’t prove criminal activity or true cause then you need to remove yourself from the situation at your expense.   

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t think the cruise line is going to stand in judgement of one passenger over another unless there was direct cause.

I agree an investigation would need to be done. Just as that would be necessary in any other environment. People tend to take advantage of situations. I could see false accusations being made.

But if the a passenger is truly in an unsafe situation I have to believe there is a policy in place to respond to that. If not the legal team might want to put that on the agenda.

7 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

I agree an investigation would need to be done. Just as that would be necessary in any other environment. People tend to take advantage of situations. I could see false accusations being made.

But if the a passenger is truly in an unsafe situation I have to believe there is a policy in place to respond to that. If not the legal team might want to put that on the agenda.

This is a cruise line not a police force and they are not a legal authority and not a court of law.  If there is no actionable cause they cannot be responsible for deciding exactly who is a bit off - that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.  

A friend found herself in a similar situation.  She was a solo traveller and was paired up with a roommate. She discovered the roommate stealing and going through her belongings.  She requested a move and she was given her own cabin.  I don't know if she had to pay any extra.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, zgscl said:

@Copper10-8 or @chengkp75 wondering if either of you may have some insight into this topic. 

Based on the info given by the OP, specifically the refusal by the other individual to turn the cabin TV volume down during the early morning hours of the night (and yes, that's unreasonable behavior towards a cabin mate and towards the occupants of adjoining staterooms - the other examples given by the OP describing the actions of said cabin mate are on the antisocial/odd side but not necessarily in violation of a cruise contract), it would have been reasonable to have requested a meeting with the guest relations manager and/or the hotel general manger (new title) or both, in order to have the OP go into detail about her cabin mate's behavior, and to describe her (the former) feelings of uneasiness/lack of comfort around the latter due to said behavior.

More than likely, the cabin mate would have been called into a similar meeting (without the OP cabin mate present), given the opportunity to present her side of the story and, based on that outcome, given a warning, and instructed to cease and desist her antisocial behavior or run the distinct possibility to have to leave the vessel at the next port of call, and to have to find her own way home at her own expense without passing Go and collecting $200 

If another cabin would have been available, it would more than likely have been offered to the OP. And yes, I have sat in during such meetings one more than one occasion, while working, the outcome of some of which saw the offending pax having been told that he/she/they were no longer welcome onboard for violating said cruise contract.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

If another cabin would have been available, it would more than likely have been offered to the OP. And yes, I have sat in during such meetings one more than one occasion, while working, the outcome of some of which saw the offending pax having been told that he/she/they were no longer welcome onboard for violating said cruise contract.  

Thanks so much for this info, always appreciate your insight!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Based on the info given by the OP, specifically the refusal by the other individual to turn the cabin TV volume down during the early morning hours of the night (and yes, that's unreasonable behavior towards a cabin mate and towards the occupants of adjoining staterooms - the other examples given by the OP describing the actions of said cabin mate are on the antisocial/odd side but not necessarily in violation of a cruise contract), it would have been reasonable to have requested a meeting with the guest relations manager and/or the hotel general manger (new title) or both, in order to have the OP go into detail about her cabin mate's behavior, and to describe her (the former) feelings of uneasiness/lack of comfort around the latter due to said behavior.

More than likely, the cabin mate would have been called into a similar meeting (without the OP cabin mate present), given the opportunity to present her side of the story and, based on that outcome, given a warning, and instructed to cease and desist her antisocial behavior or run the distinct possibility to have to leave the vessel at the next port of call, and to have to find her own way home at her own expense without passing Go and collecting $200 

This is clearly the type of procedure, no doubt involving ship security if it can't be resolved sooner.  

They can't get involved in all bickering, but if it affects someone's health/safety, then they'd act.

I'm not so sure about issues like wandering away from the table or refusing to share photos, however... but the described situation wasn't only that.

As for the post about someone being solo and getting assigned a room/cabin-mate, I just cannot understand how someone would want to travel like that.  Who knows what habits the other person could have where the two might have some conflict...  I'd rather cruise half as often without sharing than risk a "room-mate from h***".

GC

• Like 1

I think years ago there were websites or travel agencies that specialized in pairing singles together to allow singles to travel without paying the single supplement.  This is probably no longer a practice.

This isn't an unusual as one would think.  I had a rather unpleasant meal at a singles table on Carnival.  I had asked for anytime seating to avoid awkward conversations with the same group for the duration of a 7 night cruise.  The person in charge of changing dining times explained this was not possible.  I figured I would go with the flow.  The guy sitting next to me regaled stories of past cruises where he brought a female partner with him.  He had made the assumption on two or three cruises that if he paid for the cruise he was entitled to have sex with the women.  Each time the women disagreed.  On this cruise he was complaining bitterly about these experiences.  In each case he had been drunk and gotten into arguments with the women.  I suspect this guy isn't the only idiot who got himself into these situations.  

I left the dining room with plans of skipping dinner at the loser's table.  The same lady who told me no earlier asked me how it went.  I told her what happened.  She was apologetic.  I told her it was not Carnival's fault.  This was my first poor experience with dining partners in 4 cruises.  I told her 3 out of 4 was pretty decent.  She changed me to anytime dining.  

These ships are small cities that have to be equipped to deal with many situations to ensure the safety of all passengers.  

@steve4031, I had an awful experience one time with a so-called singles table on HAL.  I decided to tough it out, but in hindsight, I should have gone to the DR manager after the first night and asked for a change.  If that wasn't possible, I should have just resigned myself to eating in the Lido every night.  It would have been preferable to the verbal abuse and prying questions I was subjected to while I was eating dinner.

I was always told it was impolite to ask people questions such as why aren't you married, why don't you have children, are you seeing anyone, etc.

4 minutes ago, Roz said:

@steve4031, I had an awful experience one time with a so-called singles table on HAL.  I decided to tough it out, but in hindsight, I should have gone to the DR manager after the first night and asked for a change.  If that wasn't possible, I should have just resigned myself to eating in the Lido every night.  It would have been preferable to the verbal abuse and prying questions I was subjected to while I was eating dinner.

I was always told it was impolite to ask people questions such as why aren't you married, why don't you have children, are you seeing anyone, etc.

We get a table for two but in the past have requested to move.  I don’t want to waste my vacation with people i don’t get along with.  I am always prepared to leave a ship or any situation if it turns bad.  As a matter of fact I was about to jump ship on my river cruise last month but my sisters implored me to stay. I stayed only to enjoy their company and port days. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

There was an act 2 to my experience on Carnival.  A couple of times during anytime dining I sat with same group of people.  They were cool the first two times. The 3rd I figured out one was trying to match me up with this Hispanic lady who I knew was not interested though she kind of mixed her signals. 

When I detected what was going on, I told the one lady who was trying to set up she could share my information(she already had it) with the Hispanic lady if she was interested.   Then I avoided all of them the last day on the cruise.  Easy enough to do on a sea day.  

8 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

The 3rd I figured out one was trying to match me up with this Hispanic lady who I knew was not interested though she kind of mixed her signals. 

When I detected what was going on, I told the one lady who was trying to set up she could share my information(she already had it) with the Hispanic lady if she was interested.   Then I avoided all of them the last day on the cruise.

And that's when the executive producers embarked on a Princess Cruise to pitch their idea for "The Love Boat."  😁

• Haha 4