If Viking can do it, Celebrity can too…. No more mandatory Pre-departure Covid testing !

VitaminSea53

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

By chance do you know if Spain, Italy or the UK have adopted the EU 48/72 hour testing recommendation to board a ship in their country? I know Greece has a 24 hour requirement, but rumor has it that it's going to possibly expire on June 15.

From what I can tell on the Celebrity site, you have to have tested negative within 2 days of boarding a ship in pretty much any of the European countries.

Travel Requirements for Europe Cruises | Celebrity Cruises

Currently you need to test to board a cruise ship in the UK. That is the cruise lines choice........UK are not in the EU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ronin23 said:

But influenza is…and that has been around forever. People were not concerned about testing and isolation for that prior to COVID.

Influenza does not have the death rate that COVID has.

I find that people that just want to get back to normal were not impacted by COVID by having someone close to them suffer and die.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2022 at 1:43 PM, VitaminSea53 said:

Viking Ocean is leading the way in dropping required Covid testing Pre-Departure (unless destination countries require it).   I hope Celebrity follows suit.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/why-viking/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-program.html

It actually doesn't say that.  And, testing pre-cruise its still required in many countries, to include Italy.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

It actually doesn't say that.  And, testing pre-cruise its still required in many countries, to include Italy.

You don't by chance have a link to an Italian government website that actually states Italy still requires a pre-cruise test, to include the timeframe relative to the embarkation day. All I've been able to find so far is paragraph 7.4 this EU link:

7.4. Testing of passengers on the day of embarkation All passengers (except children under the age of 12 years) should hold proof of a negative:

 NAAT performed within 72 hours before embarkation, OR

 RADT performed within 48 hours before embarkation

Guidelines for cruise ship operations in response to the COVID-19 pandemic (healthygateways.eu)

17 hours ago, CNPGOLF said:

This virus is not like the common cold. 

People have do what they are comfortable with and not worry about others opinions. 

In 23 years of ordained ministry, I have buried 10 people who died from COVID (not “with”, but “from”) and 0 people who have died from the Common Cold. It’s not like the common cold.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gold1953 said:

We had very little covid during the first 2 years.. well until we opened our borders to the world. Maybe it is catching up with us. We get a report every Thursday and I am still shocked at our numbers. We also have very high vaccination and booster rates

I can’t imagine our actual numbers in Nova Scotia right now. Because the ones they report don’t include a huge percentage of people that actually have Covid because there is so little government testing now. And as mentioned, we went very unscathed for two years and then this winter everything just went crazy. I would guess where we live in Digby nearly 50% of the population have actually had it judging by the ratios of the people I know- and we own a prominent larger business with many employees right in the town. Right when it started to get rampant here, they ended the mask mandate, and that is mostly when it began spreading so quickly. Surely goodness we should be on the downside soon if we aren’t already

1 hour ago, carolina_yankee said:

In 23 years of ordained ministry, I have buried 10 people who died from COVID (not “with”, but “from”) and 0 people who have died from the Common Cold. It’s not like the common cold.

How many were vaccinated and died from omicron?

• Like 4

It is what it is, until it isn't.  No matter what the change, some will be happy and some won't.  Cruising is a choice, but Covid doesn't care.  I will cruise either way, but have no idea what the protocol will be, at that time.  However, I just want enough time to comply either way.

Wow, Viking went from most conservative (daily testing) to most permissive (not even a boarding test) in the space of a day.  Would love for other cruise lines to follow suit so we can get back to the joy of anticipating a cruise!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, prmssk said:

Not exactly because a ship with more passengers is going to have more bars, restaurants, and other venues and so the number of possibly infected passengers per venue is still going to be pretty similar.  On a smaller ship, your chances of repeat exposure to those infected is pretty high as you are more likely to repeatedly interact with a larger percentage of the passengers. On a ship of 3,000, there are a lot of passengers you will never have any contact with. 

No, but the people you infect will have a greater opportunity top infect others than on a small boat.

2 hours ago, canderson said:

It’s not the common cold. No amount of wishing it so will make it so. 

As another poster noted, it’s not a problem until it is. Even if mandatory testing were eliminated, people should still self-test and take themselves off the field if positive, even if it means missing the cruise. We aren’t at the point yet where people having nothing to worry about from COVID, and a cruise ship is a happy little incubator, especially if people are careless.

I’m vaxed, I cruise, I do many things, but I’m still cautious, for my sake and for others. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Sadly the number of those hospitalized with complications from Covid are falling but certainly not zero.  Covid today is certainly different and long term effect and deaths have fallen (but lately stopped decreasing in many countries), but are not zero.  The numbers are not important unless you are part of those statistics.  Have lost too many friends both vaccinated and not and they continue to have both long-term effects and die.

2 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

True, but relevance?  At this point in time, there is no specific known pathway forward that will change this.  Ever.

Now then.  I asked a specific question.  Only you can honestly answer it.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Sadly the number of those hospitalized with complications from Covid are falling but certainly not zero. 

Let's give Carolina_Yankee the opportunity to answer the question posed to him.

As to zero:

Extending the 'if it just saves one life' argument means that masking and testing before being permitted to attend any mass event should be going on indefinitely.  No one should be permitted to vacation at a remote, large, all-inclusive resort (a close analogue to a cruise ship) without first testing negative for COVID.  Certainly no one should fly in an aircraft without testing.  Forget large sports gatherings with yelling fans.

I've said this many times before.  If a person is really intent on driving toward a zero-COVID policy, even though unachievable, we know what that approach looks like and we've been there already.  In the grand scheme of risk/reward, individuals are going to have to decide whether the changing sentiment of the population as a whole will allow them to participate in certain venues or events.  With omicron in particular, and with decreasing mortality rates, it's a fact that sentiment is changing.  Those who are more risk averse for whatever reasons may find themselves having to adjust accordingly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tartana said:

I can’t imagine our actual numbers in Nova Scotia right now. Because the ones they report don’t include a huge percentage of people that actually have Covid because there is so little government testing now. And as mentioned, we went very unscathed for two years and then this winter everything just went crazy. I would guess where we live in Digby nearly 50% of the population have actually had it judging by the ratios of the people I know- and we own a prominent larger business with many employees right in the town. Right when it started to get rampant here, they ended the mask mandate, and that is mostly when it began spreading so quickly. Surely goodness we should be on the downside soon if we aren’t already

I suspect our numbers are very high!!! probably 3 x the published number. We will book a PCR if we get it so that we can have a certificate of recovery. I see fewer people wearing masks as the weeks go on but imagine that the many newly recovered may feel safe to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

I suspect our numbers are very high!!! probably 3 x the published number. We will book a PCR if we get it so that we can have a certificate of recovery. I see fewer people wearing masks as the weeks go on but imagine that the many newly recovered may feel safe to do so.

Same...if I get it (I'm to the point I say, "when I get it" LOl), I plan on trying to get the the booked PCR as well- but I'm hearing it's hard to get the appts now unless you are medical, etc.  

On 6/12/2022 at 8:27 PM, tallnthensome said:

I think the majority would be much quicker TO book if it's gone as you'd be the minority liking any of that daily testing nonsense. 

Nonsense?   Covid is real. I know many people who have had it. Some with vaccinations and boosters. Some have long timers. Some died. It’s not nonsense. It’s real and can be deadly.  I respect efforts to keep people safe.  On my cruise last week, the hoops that I had to do before getting on the ship were time consuming and a bit tricky getting everything accomplished in a timely manner.  It was worth it.  
l would love it if Covid were gone and not a threat. I would like to resume carefree travel like I did before the pandemic.  Eliminating testing by a directive of a cruise line is dangerous.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

For the vast majority of the population who are fully vaccinated and not immunodeficient, the virus is simply not that serious and no worse than the flu at most. That’s a fact.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, canderson said:

Let's give Carolina_Yankee the opportunity to answer the question posed to him.

As to zero:

Extending the 'if it just saves one life' argument means that masking and testing before being permitted to attend any mass event should be going on indefinitely.  No one should be permitted to vacation at a remote, large, all-inclusive resort (a close analogue to a cruise ship) without first testing negative for COVID.  Certainly no one should fly in an aircraft without testing.  Forget large sports gatherings with yelling fans.

I've said this many times before.  If a person is really intent on driving toward a zero-COVID policy, even though unachievable, we know what that approach looks like and we've been there already.  In the grand scheme of risk/reward, individuals are going to have to decide whether the changing sentiment of the population as a whole will allow them to participate in certain venues or events.  With omicron in particular, and with decreasing mortality rates, it's a fact that sentiment is changing.  Those who are more risk averse for whatever reasons may find themselves having to adjust accordingly.

You have to remember that there's a not insignificant number of people who would gladly return society back to the summer of 2020 if given the opportunity.  No amount of discussion, or the evolution of what we know about COVID will ever convince them that perhaps its time for a different strategy. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Nonsense?   Covid is real. I know many people who have had it. Some with vaccinations and boosters. Some have long timers. Some died. It’s not nonsense. It’s real and can be deadly.  I respect efforts to keep people safe.  On my cruise last week, the hoops that I had to do before getting on the ship were time consuming and a bit tricky getting everything accomplished in a timely manner.  It was worth it.  
l would love it if Covid were gone and not a threat. I would like to resume carefree travel like I did before the pandemic.  Eliminating testing by a directive of a cruise line is dangerous.  

Take a land trip, airline tickets- click, hotels reservation- click, private driver- click, board airplane - no Covid/pcr/antigen/swabs nope, wear a mask nope.

55 minutes ago, Mike1x said:

If not ending it they should definitely provide complimentary testing like the do to unvaccinated to everyone.

Cruising is not mandatory, it’s a choice and as such if one chooses to cruise under these false security pretenses gotta pay the piper.

10 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

As another poster noted, it’s not a problem until it is. Even if mandatory testing were eliminated, people should still self-test and take themselves off the field if positive, even if it means missing the cruise. We aren’t at the point yet where people having nothing to worry about from COVID, and a cruise ship is a happy little incubator, especially if people are careless.

I’m vaxed, I cruise, I do many things, but I’m still cautious, for my sake and for others. 

You don't appear to have answered the question.