....... and if I tip $1 cash per drink

That's going to put my potential Cheers cost for my 12 day Europe cruise close to $1900 on estimate ..... I've cruised plenty on many lines and always get a drink package  but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. My cruise for four people is  $3500 and then there is this Cheers cost. Anyone think that they would consider this or like me say "forget you"? Thinking about buying a couple of Carnival tumblers pre cruise from the online gifts delivered to the cabin along with a couple bottles of booze from Carnival. Maybe wear my back pack around the ship in Europe with my Alcohol bottles from the  shops hidden in it.   Carry my Carnival branded tumblers in hand and just go into a bathroom stall for a fresh refill on the liquor. Perhaps I'm losing my mind if this is the strategy I am resorting to. Im trying to keep it somewhat classy.. Any input or criticism welcomed. 🤔

Screenshot_20220612-140949_Chrome.jpg

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a difficult time trying to fathom the logic in insisting on bottomless drinks while lamenting the costs, insofar as to having to plan my vacation around drinking.  Just go have fun.

- Zero Sympathy Team

• Like 10

If a couple of bottles will  cover all four of you.  You will definitely save money buy buying the bottles instead of the package.  If you buy 2 bottles you are going to get , 25-33 drinks per bottle depending if the bottles are 750ml or 1L, if you pour 1 ounce shots.  The Break even point for the package is 6-7 drinks per person per day. Tips are not as customary in Europe as in in the states

Edited by Sgwscruiser
Add more info
  • Like 2

The two bottles would be for my wife and I. I like the unlimited items with Cheers but Europe is port intensive and less time aboard. Not sure if it's then cheaper by the drink plus tips or the bottles and tumblers route. The bathroom stall thing was sort of a joke .

Sorry about that, sometimes my old brain just doesn’t catch the intended comic relief.  I have been on cruises with  people have done this but gone back to their cabin to get a refill. We spend have our time in elevators and hallways if we did that.  May be that’s why I didn’t get the joke😂

I would not be able to drink enough drinks (not even figuring in the coffees and sodas etc) to make Cheers worth it on a long voyage like that. I'd get tired of drinking by day 3. If you can then more power to you.

• Like 2

I’d consider dropping Cheers and buying bottles of liquor in port. Thought others have posted they are more lenient about allowing guests to bring liquor back to their cabin in European ports.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Badfinger said:

You would really bring a drinking glass into one of those bathroom stalls?  Gross and disgusting come to mine...and yeah I realize there is alcohol in the glass. 

I stated originally that I would buy some of the Carnival tumblers which are not made of glass . Again, the bathroom stall thing wasn't serious . 

I just left the Pride in Europe and you could bring any liquor on board from port. We brought wine in from Spain and Portugal and scotch in from France. Not the same rules as sailing from a u.s. port. I would not buy a cheers package unless you like the convenience of walking up to a bar an ordering at any time. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, michelleveade said:

I just left the Pride in Europe and you could bring any liquor on board from port. We brought wine in from Spain and Portugal and scotch in from France. Not the same rules as sailing from a u.s. port. I would not buy a cheers package unless you like the convenience of walking up to a bar an ordering at any time. 

Fantastic! Great to hear. You took your purchases right back to your cabin? 

Not a user of CHEERS or other lines drink packages.  Way too costly for us as DW doesn't drink that much  and only rarely have I ventured beyond 5 (usually 3-4).  These are typically a good deal for folks who like more expensive drinks and usually drink 6-8 drinks a day and are slam dunks for the few, the very few, who imbibe up to the limit. 

As far as bringing your own and then buying "setups", if that's an option, like in Europe, then be my guest!  But don't smuggle.

When I am in the carribean I do get the cheers - but our 13 day trans atlantic the cheers will cost as much as what I paid for the cruise so that is a no brainer for me.  I have read so many posts saying that you aren't stopped from bringing liquer on board in Europe so I plan to bring a couple of bottles to enjoy. 

• Like 2

Congrats on the 12 day cruise. The most the wife and I can take is about 8 days then we start getting a little stir crazy.

As much as I love a drink package, I think I would probably not get it. I generally don't even get off the ship in the Caribbean and US ports as it's "been there done that" for us, but Europe is another thing. Lots of port time.

I would also be working out alot on the ship if it was a 12 day so that would further tap into my drinking time. So yeah, I'd probably look to bring bottles on.

• Like 1

We've ordered bottles to the room before. When we first started doing it, the Yeti tumblers weren't really a thing yet... we would bring those big "Bubba" 32oz cups with lids. 

Make a drink in room. Go do stuff. Go back to make drink in room when needed.

Nothing wrong with that. 

The last couple of times we have done Cheers both for convivence and for variety. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, michelleveade said:

The rules are the same. Enforcement is typically lacking.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 11:25 AM, tallnthensome said:

Maybe wear my back pack around the ship in Europe with my Alcohol bottles from the  shops hidden in it. ... Im trying to keep it somewhat classy.

If classy is what you are going for, then may I suggest skipping the backpack and instead opting for a top hat my good sir?

• Haha 1

I guess it depends on how much you will REALLY drink and how much of a PITA it is to you to run back to the room and top off.  No one ever thinks they will spend $60/pp/pd on drinks until they actually do - but with Alchemy drinks topping $12, some wines costing upwards of $14 a glass, a cappuccino or two, and a morning bloody mary, you can approach $60 pretty quickly without even breaking a sweat, despite all the Carrie Nations on here making you sound like a lush that will be pitching over the rails.

• Like 4