How much is gratuity now?

jjtt

Hello all, We will be taking our first cruise this summer since the start up began and was wondering how much the recommended gratuity is now? We don't want to not tip the correct amount to the hard working crew. Thank you in advance.  

In addition to the automatic gratuities, any onboard expenditures for food and beverages will have an 18% gratuity added to the check.  It will be shown on the receipt as "Service Charge" along with a line for "Additional Tip" should you want to add more.  The exception to that is the upcharge for specialty restaurants.  That will not have the 18% added as the price is meant to be inclusive of the gratuity.  If you purchase specialty dining in the Cruise Planner prior to you trip, it may or may not have a gratuity added to the advertised price.  This depends on whether your cruse uses the "new" version or the "old" version of Cruise Planner.  You'll know when you add it to your cart and go to checkout.  

Never understand why they don’t just make all prices inclusive of the gratuity? Seems different depending on were you live or book! Here in Australia pricing when booking a cruise anywhere in the world includes the gratuity, but when I get on board 18% is added to whatever I buy, but should I pre book a dinning or beverage package for example its not? That’s an inclusive price as well as I booked it here, nothing changes at checkout.

Think it’s to do with our consumer pricing laws that the price advertised has to be the final price, but once on board even if in Australian waters from an Australian port that no longer applies so does get confusing for us as we are so used to seeing the final price, expect more than a few Aussies have got a shock when going to the guest services desk to report a mistake on their bill of 18%!!!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Never understand why they don’t just make all prices inclusive of the gratuity? Seems different depending on were you live or book! Here in Australia pricing when booking a cruise anywhere in the world includes the gratuity, but when I get on board 18% is added to whatever I buy, but should I pre book a dinning or beverage package for example its not? That’s an inclusive price as well as I booked it here, nothing changes at checkout.

Think it’s to do with our consumer pricing laws that the price advertised has to be the final price, but once on board even if in Australian waters from an Australian port that no longer applies so does get confusing for us as we are so used to seeing the final price, expect more than a few Aussies have got a shock when going to the guest services desk to report a mistake on their bill of 18%!!!!!

I also think its a culture things as well. Here in the UK we tip AFTER we have received service above and beyond what they are expected to do as per their job terms of reference. 

P&O the tips are inclusive, yes i know added to the base price of the cruise but at that point you know thats all you pay to get on the ship.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

when you cruise out of Australia the 18% is already included in everything except spa services. So drinks and restaurants menu prices are the final price. I have no idea why spa is treated differently 

15 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Never understand why they don’t just make all prices inclusive of the gratuity? Seems different depending on were you live or book! 

It’s because Americans are ridiculous with the tipping thing so cruise lines get away with lowballing the fares and then rely on shaming people into tipping their underpaid employees.  It’s a sin. 
The stories I’ve heard from ports like New Orleans and Mobile, AL about people not tipping or removing applied tips is sad. I think that’s mainly because of people who can barely afford to buy a ticket and aren’t tippers anyway are able to squeeze onto a short booze cruises to Cozumel and blow any money they had leftover in Mexico. The poor crew is left untipped and overworked. 
If the cruise lines would include the tips in the price and it couldn’t be removed by guests then it would certainly help crew and a byproduct may be that it keeps some riffraff off the ships as well. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, zeroed said:

It’s because Americans are ridiculous with the tipping thing so cruise lines get away with lowballing the fares and then rely on shaming people into tipping their underpaid employees.  It’s a sin. 
The stories I’ve heard from ports like New Orleans and Mobile, AL about people not tipping or removing applied tips is sad. I think that’s mainly because of people who can barely afford to buy a ticket and aren’t tippers anyway are able to squeeze onto a short booze cruises to Cozumel and blow any money they had leftover in Mexico. The poor crew is left untipped and overworked. 
If the cruise lines would include the tips in the price and it couldn’t be removed by guests then it would certainly help crew and a byproduct may be that it keeps some riffraff off the ships as well. 

The employees aren’t “underpaid”

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The employees aren’t “underpaid”

They aren’t? Perhaps I’m mistaken.

Why are we tipping them for doing their job then?  In the US our waiters and such are paid less then minimum wage so we tip them to offset the difference for their service. Are cruise crew paid salaries and we American have been duped into tipping them this whole time? 

They are no underpaid compared to the normal wages for their home country, but they are underpaid in terms of US (or other 1st-world country) wages.

One thing to keep in mind when people suggest that the companies should just raise prices and include the tips in the overall price is that it could actually reduce employee income.  The reason is that in the USA, that markup in the sales price could mean the company pays more in overhead.  This is not just corporate income tax, but other taxes related to paying employees such as the employer's portion of unemployment insurance and other fees.  By collecting it as a gratuity that is passed directly to the employee, those cost are bypassed and the employee gets more of it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, zeroed said:

They aren’t? Perhaps I’m mistaken.

Why are we tipping them for doing their job then?  In the US our waiters and such are paid less then minimum wage so we tip them to offset the difference for their service. Are cruise crew paid salaries and we American have been duped into tipping them this whole time? 

I always use the Philippines as an example because there are quite a few Filipino crew members. 
Crew are GUARANTEED $1100-$1200 per month. 
In their home country the average income is $3000

I am not opposed to tipping, but I refuse to be manipulated by guilt to do so, especially prior to receiving service. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rudeney said:

It will be shown on the receipt as "Service Charge" along with a line for "Additional Tip" should you want to add more.  The exception to that is the upcharge for specialty restaurants. 

Actually an 18% gratuity is automatically added to your check at the specialty restaurants (at least all the ones we've eaten at in our last 20+cruises). Not sure about the Unlimited Dining Package however, because there are not enough specialty restaurants on any of the ships to justify the cost. As good as it usually is, one can only eat at Chops so many times before it becomes "unspecial".

4 minutes ago, yogimax said:

The word "but" makes clear the intentions of the post.

No, not at all. It’s unfortunate that you read it that way. There is a difference between a gratuity and a pre determined set daily amount of money charged before services are rendered.  

I have no issue with the former, the latter is completely unacceptable to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Actually an 18% gratuity is automatically added to your check at the specialty restaurants (at least all the ones we've eaten at in our last 20+cruises). Not sure about the Unlimited Dining Package however, because there are not enough specialty restaurants on any of the ships to justify the cost. As good as it usually is, one can only eat at Chops so many times before it becomes "unspecial".

I think this varies by ship.  I purchased the UDP for our upcoming Voyager cruise in October and there was no gratuity added.   It seems there are different version of the Cruise Planner and not all ships use the "new" one where gratuities are tacked-on in the checkout process.  I also looked back at our recent folios (Freedom and Voyager class ships - nothing larger) and the only gratuity added was on the drinks and extra food purchases (e.g. lobster).  The upcharge fee for the specialty dining itself had no gratuity.  But we have also not cruised since before the pandemic.  

3 hours ago, zeroed said:

I was on a cruise out of NO that coincided with college spring break.  I had a drink package but noticed the last night that one bar was charging me.  Went to guest services and there were three long lines with college kids snaking through the lobby.  As they talked with each other, they all said they were there because the gratuity charges on their bill and no one told them it was going to be on there.  I am sure most ended up taking it off.  I felt bad for the crew that worked their butt off for these kids to have a great time all week.   

2 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I think this varies by ship.  I purchased the UDP for our upcoming Voyager cruise in October and there was no gratuity added.   It seems there are different version of the Cruise Planner and not all ships use the "new" one where gratuities are tacked-on in the checkout process.  I also looked back at our recent folios (Freedom and Voyager class ships - nothing larger) and the only gratuity added was on the drinks and extra food purchases (e.g. lobster).  The upcharge fee for the specialty dining itself had no gratuity.  But we have also not cruised since before the pandemic.  

The udp is a different animal from booking an individual specialty restaurant while on board.

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I always use the Philippines as an example because there are quite a few Filipino crew members. 
Crew are GUARANTEED $1100-$1200 per month. 
In their home country the average income is $3000

I am not opposed to tipping, but I refuse to be manipulated by guilt to do so, especially prior to receiving service. 

I think you need to brush up on your information regarding Philippine wages:

https://ph.indeed.com/career/restaurant-staff/salaries#:~:text=The average salary for a restaurant staff is,useful%3F Top companies for Restaurant Staffs in Philippines

Average is $264 month with today's exchange rate.  That's why there are so many Southeast Asian crew members.  They can provide a big boost to their, and their families', standard of living.

46 minutes ago, pcur said:

I think you need to brush up on your information regarding Philippine wages:

https://ph.indeed.com/career/restaurant-staff/salaries#:~:text=The average salary for a restaurant staff is,useful%3F Top companies for Restaurant Staffs in Philippines

Average is $264 month with today's exchange rate.  That's why there are so many Southeast Asian crew members.  They can provide a big boost to their, and their families', standard of living.

Nope, $264 monthly is in the $3000 annual range I stated