Passport may not come in time

sydbarrett

This is probably more a cautionary tale than anything...but curious to know if anyone else has had a similar experience. My travel partner's passport expires 5 months after the end of our trip and one of the ports we are visiting requires 6 months. She applied for a renewal on April 13, was told that she would have the passport the week of May 23...we travel July 6. She just called the passport office today and found out that her application hasn't even been touched yet, and it doesn't look good that she will have it in time for the trip. Does anyone know if she can get the old passport back and we can just roll the dice with customs? We have been in touch with the cruise line and they suggested this. The passport agent said she can try to line up at 4am the day we travel to see if she can get an emergency passport, but there are no guarantees since everyone is in the same boat. They wont even talk to her unless she is within 24 hours of travelling! I'm heartbroken!

1 hour ago, sydbarrett said:

This is probably more a cautionary tale than anything...but curious to know if anyone else has had a similar experience. My travel partner's passport expires 5 months after the end of our trip and one of the ports we are visiting requires 6 months. She applied for a renewal on April 13, was told that she would have the passport the week of May 23...we travel July 6. She just called the passport office today and found out that her application hasn't even been touched yet, and it doesn't look good that she will have it in time for the trip. Does anyone know if she can get the old passport back and we can just roll the dice with customs? We have been in touch with the cruise line and they suggested this. The passport agent said she can try to line up at 4am the day we travel to see if she can get an emergency passport, but there are no guarantees since everyone is in the same boat. They wont even talk to her unless she is within 24 hours of travelling! I'm heartbroken!

I've no suggestions as to how to speed up the passport renewal. The problem is endemic and, as you saw this afternoon on the Celebrity board, your travel partner isn't the only one who might not be able to cruise due to the delay in receiving a renewed passport.

My suggestion would be to telephone the embassy of the country in question, explain to them the issue at hand, and ask whether an exception can be made. As cruise passenger entries are handled differently than normal visitor entries anyway, I doubt that they would be concerned about 5 months versus 6, but they may or may not be willing to make an exception. If they are willing, your travel partner will need something official, in writing. The next step then would be to see whether or not the cruise line is going to accept the country's exception. If the country is willing to make an official exception, there's no excuse for the cruise line not to, but they can be inflexible at times.

Beyond that, I regret that I've no suggestions. Best of luck to the two of you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sydbarrett said:

If they can even find her old passport  would she get it back in time ?

Can they not expedite her new one??

If it makes you feel any better. When I travelled to the Caribbean from Florida .. I forgot my passport at home in California. I had a copy of my passport. I was able to embark on the ship with the copy of my passport. I didn't need my passport again until I disembarked in Florida at the end of my trip. I hope that puts your mind at ease. 

From what I've read on some other boards, first you need them to process the mailed in application (your credit card being charged is a good sign for that). Until that's done nobody can do anything - as your original documents are in application purgatory. 

Once that's done, you need to get through to the Passport Canada 800 number and ask them to transfer the file to a local passport office (by default they do not always send it to your closest one, so this is important).

Once the file is transferred, you then get to play the game of either trying to get an appointment or lining up for expedited service. And might take a few days of trying for this. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cmich068 said:

Once that's done, you need to get through to the Passport Canada 800 number and ask them to transfer the file to a local passport office (by default they do not always send it to your closest one, so this is important).

In late January, my DS and DIL applied for renewal of their two kids' passports in anticipation of an early March holiday that they had booked rather belatedly, one of those deals that you just can't turn down. By mid- February, they were getting a bit concerned and started checking into the status of the applications. They subsequently determined that both were sitting untouched in Vancouver, but were able to have them shipped back to Ottawa and processed on an expedited basis. They were in the family's hands with a couple of days to spare.

Why the applications were sent to Vancouver for processing in the first place is beyond me, but fortunately this all took place before the exponential growth in the number of applications that we are currently witnessing.

• Like 2

@sydbarrett and @OttawaJohn, CTV Ottawa this evening had an item on the long lines at most passport locations, but reported that Cornwall, Prescott and Brockville have no lineups at all. That may change after airing the story, but if getting into a passport office might help you in your quests, these are venues you should consider.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, broberts said:

According to https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/urgent-emergency-passport.html one can walk-in to any Passport Canada office within 2 days of travel and apply on an emergency basis.

Having an application already in process likely complicates matters.

That's the policy, but it doesn't take into account the reality on the ground these days at many centres. People line up, stay in line overnight, and still not getting in the following day. Rather than offering extended hours at all of the centres, they are still operating on their limited 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

That's the policy, but it doesn't take into account the reality on the ground these days at many centres. People line up, stay in line overnight, and still not getting in the following day. Rather than offering extended hours at all of the centres, they are still operating on their limited 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM hours.

☹️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jenphan said:

If it makes you feel any better. When I travelled to the Caribbean from Florida .. I forgot my passport at home in California. I had a copy of my passport. I was able to embark on the ship with the copy of my passport. I didn't need my passport again until I disembarked in Florida at the end of my trip. I hope that puts your mind at ease. 

Rules might be different for Canadians...

Look how Covid rules were for us...

6 hours ago, sydbarrett said:

Try contacting the office of your federal Member of Parliament. They may be able to assist finding the application and having it transferred to a Passport office or the old passport returned. 

You might need to camp out at your local office AND contact your local MP. Submitted my daughter (13) passport in person to Service Canada on March 29th and we are still waiting. I finally got through on the phone a week ago to be told everything had been processed and it was in line to be printed....still waiting though. It's atrocious what is going on with Passport Canada right now. But yes, you must be the squeaky wheel as much as you can. Good luck. 

3 hours ago, jenphan said:

Unfortunately that won't work. As a Canadian, not only do they need the actual passport in hand to get on the ship, they need the passport just to enter the country where the cruise is sailing from.

13 hours ago, broberts said:

According to https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/urgent-emergency-passport.html one can walk-in to any Passport Canada office within 2 days of travel and apply on an emergency basis.

Having an application already in process likely complicates matters.

Normally that is the case, but not necessarily right now.  My sister and niece were planning a trip.  My niece had a lot of complications applying (wrong info on a birth certificate, had to get reissued).  They were in the same boat. Their last ditch effort was to drive to the local passport office 4 hours away and do this.  They called the day before and were told they "may" be able to get it done in time but no guarantee.  They drove up Thursday, did the process, hoped to get the passport Friday and fly out Sunday.  Plus it costs $$$
It worked out for them but there was no guarantee.  They did get to Ireland and came back with Covid.  My sister is a nurse, her son has had it twice and she managed to avoid it until then.  lol

Another friend had a US trip booked and had applied for passports in plenty of time.  They ended up missing the first day of their trip because of the passport.  They had to get the MP involved in order to get it. 

Good luck OP.  I'd contact your MP.  

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jenphan said:

But you are an American I am guessing

Does not work the same for other Nationalities

Definitely reach out to your federal MP office as they can get information for you without you having to redial the 800 number hundreds of times to get through.

The only other option you likely will have since they haven't even opened your file is to take a new application, pics, proof of travel and line up 48 hours before and do an  urgent passport.

We submitted our daughter's application March 22, they received it march 23, payment taken may 2 then no movement.  10 weeks after it was submitted I contacted our MPs office to have them investigate.  They were able to send travel docs and were told to call back if we hadn't received by June 21.  On June 21st they called and it had been mailed the prior day and I had it in hand that day.  13 weeks to get it.  I was deathly afraid I would have to line up.

23 minutes ago, ceci3 said:

Definitely reach out to your federal MP office as they can get information for you without you having to redial the 800 number hundreds of times to get through.

The only other option you likely will have since they haven't even opened your file is to take a new application, pics, proof of travel and line up 48 hours before and do an  urgent passport.

We submitted our daughter's application March 22, they received it march 23, payment taken may 2 then no movement.  10 weeks after it was submitted I contacted our MPs office to have them investigate.  They were able to send travel docs and were told to call back if we hadn't received by June 21.  On June 21st they called and it had been mailed the prior day and I had it in hand that day.  13 weeks to get it.  I was deathly afraid I would have to line up.

With the summer recess having started today, we'll keep our fingers crossed for those who reach out to their MP for assistance. 🤞

Thanks for the advice everyone! We now have a game plan. The transfer request has been submitted (may get declined) and she is going to get a brand new application ready and show up at the office the day before we leave at 5am and hope to get through the doors. They are only seeing people travelling within 48 hours so hopefully she will get in. They would then have to produce the passport in 24 hours and she would have to pick it up on the way to the airport. It doesn't sound like getting the old passport back will be a possibility. It ain't over til it's over! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sydbarrett said:

Thanks for the advice everyone! We now have a game plan. The transfer request has been submitted (may get declined) and she is going to get a brand new application ready and show up at the office the day before we leave at 5am and hope to get through the doors. They are only seeing people travelling within 48 hours so hopefully she will get in. They would then have to produce the passport in 24 hours and she would have to pick it up on the way to the airport. It doesn't sound like getting the old passport back will be a possibility. It ain't over til it's over! 

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 6:09 PM, bcwife76 said:

You might need to camp out at your local office AND contact your local MP. Submitted my daughter (13) passport in person to Service Canada on March 29th and we are still waiting. I finally got through on the phone a week ago to be told everything had been processed and it was in line to be printed....still waiting though. It's atrocious what is going on with Passport Canada right now. But yes, you must be the squeaky wheel as much as you can. Good luck. 

Are you applying it from Vancouver? My sister submit her son application on april 1 at a service canada location, she tried to contacts passport office multiple times, but never get through their phone line. We are leaving in a few week. Hopefully we can get it soon. 

3 hours ago, Fatcat604 said:

Are you applying it from Vancouver? My sister submit her son application on april 1 at a service canada location, she tried to contacts passport office multiple times, but never get through their phone line. We are leaving in a few week. Hopefully we can get it soon. 

She is in Ontario. The second the phone lines open in your area, start calling. You will have to call maybe 200 times but you'll get through. She applied April 13 and was checking the mail every day, only to learn 2 days ago that they hadn't touched the file yet. You need to know the status of the application so you can plan to do the emergency application if need be. This is where we are at now but at least there's hope. Had she not called she would still be waiting and definitely wouldn't have the passport.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:38 PM, Fouremco said:

With the summer recess having started today, we'll keep our fingers crossed for those who reach out to their MP for assistance. 🤞

I have a feeling most of their calls, at this time, might be passport related at most every MP”s office. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I have a feeling most of their calls, at this time, might be passport related at most every MP”s office. 

Across the board GOC wait and processing times have become horrendous. Getting an MP involved is a good idea. At the very least it will become a caucus issue if enough MPs are inundated.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, broberts said:

Across the board GOC wait and processing times have become horrendous. Getting an MP involved is a good idea. At the very least it will become a caucus issue if enough MPs are inundated.

Agreed.