Engine problems on the Quantum of the Seas

9 hours ago, Ben Nicholls said:

When the parts arrive they need to take the engine offline for 3 weeks to perform the repair. That would explain how they could know it was only those 3 sailings. It is because they are scheduling the work for then. 

I'd say that's a very real possibility.

We're booked on Quantum for next June.  Hope they figure things out by then... 😉

Hello,

Interesting that RCI has just announced (via FB) the same sort of thing for its Anthem sailing of 23rd September.

There appears to be a pattern.

Regards,

Cublet

3 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Interesting that RCI has just announced (via FB) the same sort of thing for its Anthem sailing of 23rd September.

There appears to be a pattern.

Regards,

Cublet

I would imagin, there is a possible fault  with a certain make and batch number  of  a component that requires the engine to be taken offline and fixed. Prob found during an nspection or failure and the fix is being rolled out on all effected engines across the fleet and other ships. Happens all the time in my aviation world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A large number of cruise ships with azipods have installed metallic debris detectors in the lubricating oil systems of the azipod bearings. These detectors can track number and size of particles over time which can be correlated to loss of bearing or bearing race metal mass. Based on the rates of metallic debris and size, the system can predict when critical mass of the bearing will be lost or can be used to monitor changes in the rate of debris generation by, say, reducing engine speed or use. Cruise lines can use this information to predict and plan when the bearings need replacing, even months in advance.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sowhat said:

Does it mean main engines / generators or azipods are faulty

The generators=engines that generates electricity to run the motors on the azipods. The azipods are not the “engine”. The likely culprit is the engine fire two weeks ago. Code Bravo Code Bravo Code Bravo. 

The ship has two 14,400 kW Wartsila generators, two 19,200 kW Wartsila generators, and two 2,500 kW Catiolillar emergency generators. You run the generators based on demand for propulsion and the hotel. 

Edited by BirdTravels

42 minutes ago, sowhat said:

Does it mean main engines / generators or azipods are faulty

The azipods have been known to have this issue where some fault in them requires them being run at less than full speed.

12 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The generators=engines that generates electricity to run the motors on the azipods. The azipods are not the “engine”. The likely culprit is the engine fire two weeks ago. Code Bravo Code Bravo Code Bravo. 

The ship has two 14,400 kW Wartsila generators, two 19,200 kW Wartsila generators, and two 2,500 kW Catiolillar emergency generators. 

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The azipods have been known to have this issue where some fault in them requires them being run at less than full speed.

As  an engineer  I know the function  of the propulsion system,  some posts indicate  the engine which rotates the generator and some indicate  an azipod fault or could it be a control system  fault

Following this with interest as a gear head/ retired field engineer who is fascinated with how things work.
And also we are scheduled to ride this particular boat from Vancouver to Honolulu on October.. I would hope to make that run with all engines/ propulsion systems operating. It’s one thing to shuttle up and down the coast with many ports and nearby assistance available vs the long, lonely Pacific crossing.

Edited by Bxc53
  • Like 2

Food For Thought:  I have an upcoming cruise not on an Oasis-class ship on which Royal Caribbean removed a port stop, citing "port congestion".  I calculated eliminating that stop will shorten the cruise distance by over 600 NM, saving a ton (pun intended) of fuel.

If cruise ships can cruise at a slower speed, they can shut off one or two engines.  In 2008, Celebrity changed itineraries due to fuel price increases, saying fuel consumption on the new Solstice (at that time) would be halved by reducing speed from 23 knots to 15 knots.

Whatever the reason, I would expect many more itinerary changes as cruise lines deal with massive fuel costs and debt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muffin Slayer said:

Note to self:  Don’t get on known defective ship!  What happens if they need to outrun an iceberg like the ncl ship!

Over on NCL someone on the ship said the captain took a more narrow exit instead of the main and wider path the ship used to enter the fjord.  So it could be captain's fault.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The ship has two 14,400 kW Wartsila generators, two 19,200 kW Wartsila generators, and two 2,500 kW Catiolillar emergency generators. You run the generators based on demand for propulsion and the hotel. 

I was on the Code Bravo cruise.  When they announced Code Bravo, it was followed by a "THIS IS NOT A DRILL"

17 hours ago, Biker19 said:

See the source image

She does have four bow thrusters which usually don't affect her sailing speed.

Hello,

I was referring to the main engines in the engine rooms (excluding emergency ones), not the number of azipods.

Regards,

Cublet

Edited by cublet
punctuation

20 hours ago, Bxc53 said:

Following this with interest as a gear head/ retired field engineer who is fascinated with how things work.
And also we are scheduled to ride this particular boat from Vancouver to Honolulu on October.. I would hope to make that run with all engines/ propulsion systems operating. It’s one thing to shuttle up and down the coast with many ports and nearby assistance available vs the long, lonely Pacific crossing.

Next you will hear cruise  extended an extra 6 days because of traveling at half speed to conserve fuel.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Next you will hear cruise  extended an extra 6 days because of traveling at half speed to conserve fuel.

Well, she is making 21.4 kts now per a vessel tracking site. Her normal speed is 22 it. Hmmm.

Edited by Bxc53

17 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

It's amazing that Royal has reported a problem with one engine, and people here have decided that they're lying and it's actually many other things instead.  Yeah, I know...Cruise Critic.  🙄

Hello,

If you want postings based only on the facts and not conjecture, then (1) no thread will ever achieve double figures in terms of number of posts, and (2) some people will have lost their sole purpose in life.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1
  • Haha 4