Engine problems on the Quantum of the Seas

Just now, Oceansaway17 said:

which canal is more strict in your opinion, Panama or Suez?

thanks for your comments.  

Both are equally "strict" in their requirements, but the main difference is that the Panama Canal Authority assumes full financial responsibility for the ship, which is why the Captain relinquishes command of the ship to the Canal pilot when in the canal.  You'll remember that the Suez Canal sued Evergreen for damages when their ship grounded. 

If it safe to assume that having redundant electrical distribution does not mean there will never be the possibility of a brief blackout?

If a primary system experiences an issue to the point it is knocked offline the redundant system may be available but it may take a short period of time to bring that system online.  Correct statement?

Just now, twangster said:

If it safe to assume that having redundant electrical distribution does not mean there will never be the possibility of a brief blackout?

If a primary system experiences an issue to the point it is knocked offline the redundant system may be available but it may take a short period of time to bring that system online.  Correct statement?

This is correct.  The two systems are normally connected together, so a failure of one will temporarily knock the other offline.  Once the systems are disconnected, then the good system can be restarted.  There is no "primary" and "secondary" system, they are equal.  For instance, the large consumers like propulsion and AC, the motors have two windings, each providing half of the required power.  Each of these windings is fed from a different distribution system, so when both are available, the motor gets full power, but when one system is out, they only get half power.  The lower voltage users (480v and lower) have distribution boards in each fire zone, and each distribution board is fed from both systems, but only one is connected at a time, so some of them will need to be manually switched from one system to another when there is a problem.  Typically, a blackout should only take a couple of minutes to get another generator online, but restoring all power may take an hour or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Both are equally "strict" in their requirements, but the main difference is that the Panama Canal Authority assumes full financial responsibility for the ship, which is why the Captain relinquishes command of the ship to the Canal pilot when in the canal.  You'll remember that the Suez Canal sued Evergreen for damages when their ship grounded. 

aw I did not realize the captains did this for PC.  thanks for explaining.

So in your opinion, do you think RCI will need to adjust more cruises that the already mentioned dates?

16 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

aw I did not realize the captains did this for PC.  thanks for explaining.

So in your opinion, do you think RCI will need to adjust more cruises that the already mentioned dates?

No, they will likely work overtime to complete the overhaul in the time frame they've laid out now.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm going to keep an eye on the August pricing.  If enough people cancel I may be able to jump onboard at a great price 🙂

again I thought you did Quantum already this year.

You really do love this class of ship.  

6 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

again I thought you did Quantum already this year.

You really do love this class of ship.  

I did do Quantum this year.  During the month of August at some ports you can possibly see the salmon spawning in rivers and streams.  

Every trip to Alaska is an experience.  Every trip is unique.  Every month brings something different.  

• Like 5

Some of us like to take advantage of the Alaska cruises because we can drive to the ports.  No flights or hotel needed.  Have done three so far and will do two more this month.  Have more scheduled in August and September.  Took two in October of last year and have pictures of Skagway with trees with yellow leaves.  Every trip is different.

1 hour ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Some of us like to take advantage of the Alaska cruises because we can drive to the ports.  No flights or hotel needed.  Have done three so far and will do two more this month.  Have more scheduled in August and September.  Took two in October of last year and have pictures of Skagway with trees with yellow leaves.  Every trip is different.

How about we swap houses for several months so I can drive to port for Alaska and you can drive to port for CA/NE and Bermuda?  😉  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, twangster said:

I did do Quantum this year.  During the month of August at some ports you can possibly see the salmon spawning in rivers and streams.  

Every trip to Alaska is an experience.  Every trip is unique.  Every month brings something different.  

oh I agree but I was just teasing.  But that Ovation in 2019 from Vancouver was memorable as was my first cruise on HAL a 14 day r/t from Seattle that even docked in Anchorage for 14 hours.  Saw Kodiak as well as Homer port.

• Like 1

I’m happy to see they have adjusted the OBC for the August sailings.  

Im on the July 18th sailing and our itinerary has been adjusted to show no glacier days when I look on the RCCL ap but they have not reached out to us at all about the changes or if we will be compensated for the changes. I’m disappointed about the lack of communication from them.

honestly, the only place I got info about what is actually going on is here on the boards.  

59 minutes ago, Catmomma said:

I’m happy to see they have adjusted the OBC for the August sailings.  

Im on the July 18th sailing and our itinerary has been adjusted to show no glacier days when I look on the RCCL ap but they have not reached out to us at all about the changes or if we will be compensated for the changes. I’m disappointed about the lack of communication from them.

honestly, the only place I got info about what is actually going on is here on the boards.  

I haven't received any communication from RCCL on my August 15th cruise. I've had to reach out to my travel agent for clarification and he doesn't know why I'm not receiving any. Only found out because of this post.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:52 PM, CruiseWendy said:

I haven't received any communication from RCCL on my August 15th cruise. I've had to reach out to my travel agent for clarification and he doesn't know why I'm not receiving any. Only found out because of this post.

I’m a TA and the thing is when booking with a TA is royal will only contact the direct person that booked. Technically, your agent booked, he gets the email and is supposed to reach out to his clients. Other lines will email the contact on file but royal goes through booking agents. I work under a hosting network and didn’t get my email until a couple of days after royal actually sent them. It is not an efficient way for contacting with such changes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Catmomma said:

I didn’t work with a TA and haven’t heard anything from RCCL.  We board in 11 days 

The work appears to be starting on the August 1 sailing. All July sailings are still in the clear. 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jennianne said:

The work appears to be starting on the August 1 sailing. All July sailings are still in the clear. 🙂

Still nothing being heard regarding our August 29 & September 5th sailings other than no glacier visits showing on either itinerary in the Royal App. 

It will be interesting to see how things play out. 

We just received this email (below) hope the engine drams are not as bad as they are putting on

Good Afternoon,

We wanted to let you know that we have extended the final payment due date for all guests on our Quantum of the Seas transpacific sailing departing 13 October 2022, to allow guest a little more time to make their payment. Final payment will now be due on 4 August 2022, seventy days prior to sailing.

An updated invoice reflecting this change will be sent separately to the email address on your reservation in the coming days.

For any further questions please contact our Call Centre team on 1 800 754 500.

On board Quantum now.  The captain came on around 9am this morning and announced that we “developed a problem with one of the main engines overnight and lost some speed.”  As such we are arriving 3 hours late into Victoria at 7pm.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ito717 said:

On board Quantum now.  The captain came on around 9am this morning and announced that we “developed a problem with one of the main engines overnight and lost some speed.”  As such we are arriving 3 hours late into Victoria at 7pm.

I am 2 weeks and a day away from my departure. Going to be interested to see what happens, especially since we are the last sailing before the altered itinerary. I am hoping everyone has a wonderful trip and the inevitable hiccups are easily overcome. 

I’m scheduled to be on the Aug 22 sailing and we can’t decide what to do…our itinerary is still the same if I go on RC’s site, but the RC app shows an itinerary change for us (skipping the glacier). We are trying to decide if we should scrap the cruise and just do a Seattle/Oregon road trip (too expensive to change our Seattle flights)

For some of you more experienced sailors, do you think all signs are pointing to them pulling out of the glacier for the 22nd as well?  This is supposed to be our first Alaska cruise and the glacier day seems pretty important… is it the highlight of the trip?  Kinda hate to do a “glacier cruise”  without the glacier.

thanks!

1 hour ago, heatherandnick said:

I’m scheduled to be on the Aug 22 sailing and we can’t decide what to do…our itinerary is still the same if I go on RC’s site, but the RC app shows an itinerary change for us (skipping the glacier). We are trying to decide if we should scrap the cruise and just do a Seattle/Oregon road trip (too expensive to change our Seattle flights)

For some of you more experienced sailors, do you think all signs are pointing to them pulling out of the glacier for the 22nd as well?  This is supposed to be our first Alaska cruise and the glacier day seems pretty important… is it the highlight of the trip?  Kinda hate to do a “glacier cruise”  without the glacier.

thanks!

We did this cruise 4 times last year on the Ovation and we will be on the Quantum B2B starting August 22nd.  For us it is a personal choice, we love to cruise, the ship is amazing and we know that we will have a great time.  Missing the glacier will be a shame, but we have already been there recently so it won’t bother us.  The glacier is great, but the ports are really fun too.  We saw eagles and whales. We went on a hike in the rainforest and it was just beautiful.  

We might miss the glacier, but we might not.  I don’t think anyone knows at this point.  If you do decide to just tour Seattle and Oregon make sure that you do the Oregon Gorge!

2 hours ago, heatherandnick said:

thanks!

I would go and enjoy the cruise, with or without the glacier. I understand that the glacier is the highlight for you (as it will be for me in September) but even if it is still part of your itinerary, there's no guarantee that it will happen.  Weather or growlers could cancel that part of the trip.  Not sure if you'll be in Juneau but if so, you can still see the Mendenhall glacier.  Not the same, but at least it's something.

• Like 2